LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Special Teams 2014

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Can you imagine Morris with his speed and ability to get up to top-end speed in just a few quick-burst steps? That's Ginn-like speed back there. And Ellington isn't exactly slow either...looks like they are trying Patton. Cox, IIRC, had some returns back in the day too. Excited to see if we give the two experienced rookies in McCray/Campbell a shot. Wylie has some ability as well!

I'm all in on this one.

I wonder if they have even given the guy a chance in practice to see how he does.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Count me all in too!

Yes !

Darryl Morris taking return snaps.
[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
Can you imagine Morris with his speed and ability to get up to top-end speed in just a few quick-burst steps? That's Ginn-like speed back there. And Ellington isn't exactly slow either...looks like they are trying Patton. Cox, IIRC, had some returns back in the day too. Excited to see if we give the two experienced rookies in McCray/Campbell a shot. Wylie has some ability as well!

I'm all in on this one.

I wonder if they have even given the guy a chance in practice to see how he does.
Count me all in too!

Yes !

Yes!!!!! Get McCray and Campbell out there next. Does Baalke and the coaching staff read our posts? I remember a year or two ago one of the press had to ask Harbaugh why they hadn't tried player X as a returner... and he didn't know he had that ability. I wonder if we should contact MM or MB to pass along the message.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 30, 2014 at 1:21 PM ]

I'm all in on this one.

Count me all in too!

Yes !

THANKS DeUh!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Count me all in too!

I like it.... Cox and A. Smith (if he impressess, might earn a spot, then LMJ might be outside looking in before the cuts).

Cox, Morris, Ellington, Patton, one of the rooks / newcomers... we got a lot of good options there.
and you would certainly like to think that the more reps they get in practice the better they will be. i am hoping ellington is better next week than he is now and so on

It seems they are just being cautious like they were with Ward and others. Ellington will be fun to watch... can't wait man I'm stoked!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Yes!!!!! Get McCray and Campbell out there next. Does Baalke and the coaching staff read our posts? I remember a year or two ago one of the press had to ask Harbaugh why they hadn't tried player X as a returner... and he didn't know he had that ability. I wonder if we should contact MM or MB to pass along the message.

If they do, I better quit screwing about ... you know how I'm always clowning around and talking crap about the Big Twinkie (Roman) and what not.

I'm all in on this one.

Count me all in too!

Yes !

THANKS DeUh!!

will he get to wear that shield on game day?

I'm glad he's out there. Too bad he didn't get some tries last year... it's all good though, he'll get his fair share in camp and preseason.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Thought I might post this in here as well.

Gunners on punt coverage team 1st. pre season game.

1st. quarter
Jimmie Ward
C.J. Spillman

2nd. quarter
Jimmie Ward
C.J. Spillman
Darryl Morris

3rd. quarter
Darryl Morris
Kassim Osgood

4th. quarter
L.J. McCray
Jimmie Ward
* I think there was another player in the 4th. No sure though. Poor camera angle on that play.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/178731-costanzos-back/page12/#post177

1st. quarter
Jimmie Ward
C.J. Spillman

2nd. quarter
Jimmie Ward
C.J. Spillman
Darryl Morris

3rd. quarter
Darryl Morris
Kassim Osgood

4th. quarter
L.J. McCray
Jimmie Ward
* I think there was another player in the 4th. No sure though. Poor camera angle on that play.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/178731-costanzos-back/page12/#post177

DeUh, you're carrying the zone these days!!

1st. quarter
Jimmie Ward
C.J. Spillman

2nd. quarter
Jimmie Ward
C.J. Spillman
Darryl Morris

3rd. quarter
Darryl Morris
Kassim Osgood

4th. quarter
L.J. McCray
Jimmie Ward

Excellent info. 3Q is actually our starting and proven gunners. So clearly, they were trying to get a look at Ward & McCray. This is a big deal b/c our backups at S suck as S's but are both great to good ST players in Spillman and Dahl respectively. But Dahl is very expensive. I've been hoping ONE of the two young S's in McCray or Campbell can overtake either Dahl or Spillman b/c both have much more upside at S and can add value at ST's as well (and are cheaper). The last thing you want to have in case of an injury is move Ward back to S and slide Morris inside to the slot. McCray has gotten praise from Fangio (think about that for a second). He also has experience at the slot (ala Ward) and to me, seems like he has a much higher ceiling at the S spot over Spillman or Dahl. In short, this is good news that they are trying to work him into one of the two key ST coverage positions.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Excellent info. 3Q is actually our starting and proven gunners. So clearly, they were trying to get a look at Ward & McCray. This is a big deal b/c our backups at S suck as S's but are both great to good ST players in Spillman and Dahl respectively. But Dahl is very expensive. I've been hoping ONE of the two young S's in McCray or Campbell can overtake either Dahl or Spillman b/c both have much more upside at S and can add value at ST's as well (and are cheaper). The last thing you want to have in case of an injury is move Ward back to S and slide Morris inside to the slot. McCray has gotten praise from Fangio (think about that for a second). He also has experience at the slot (ala Ward) and to me, seems like he has a much higher ceiling at the S spot over Spillman or Dahl. In short, this is good news that they are trying to work him into one of the two key ST coverage positions.

You know what.....time to go out on a limb again.

Since we signed L.J. McCray and I began to dig into his college career ( http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/page41/#post611 ) I started rooting for him. He is a very physical player, has the potential to be a st ace, was a dangerous returner in college, got rare praise from Fangio this off season, knows Tomsula since 2012 etc.

L.J. McCray will make the 53 man roster this year.

From left to rigth: McCray (46), Bethea (24), Reid (35).
[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM ]

You know what.....time to go out on a limb again.

Since we signed L.J. McCray and I began to dig into his college career ( http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/page41/#post611 ) I started rooting for him. He is a very physical player, has the potential to be a st ace, was a dangerous returner in college, got rare praise from Fangio this off season, knows Tomsula since 2012 etc.

L.J. McCray will make the 53 man roster this year.

From left to rigth: McCray (46), Bethea (24), Reid (35).

Why NOT go out on a limb? We've been doing great so far!

I haven't added in McCray quite yet to the 53 but I'm damn near close to it. Why? Fangio gave him props "as a S." Then you add on the fact that he is experienced in retrurn game, playing in the slot and didn't he have some blocked kicks as well (plus he's cheap and has much higher upside). We can get away with 1 ST ace (Spillman) at the S position but not 2.

Dahl counts $1,283,333 against the cap. Ouch!

I may have to go back and watch his play on the DVR. #45 is Campbell. If we start seeing him run with the 2's and continue to play gunner on ST this next game and then run with the 1's towards the end, we may have some insight into the coaches preference at S.

McCray and Seymour are my keep an eye on guys this year. In the past Tukuafu was on my radar, Tramaine Brock and then I called TJE over Tukuafu last year. I'm not as confident though and won't guarantee but just more of keep an eye out. Maybe it's next year who knows. As for returns I think Ellington will be the guy at PR/KR, James probably #2 but Cox lit it up a few pre-seasons ago and had multiple touchdowns in college, Acker the same. Morris can return I'm sure and so can Wylie although not sure it pays to give him reps as he won't make the team anyways. Patton did last year but I think he's too much of a juker.. he wants to dance too much which can work as a WR but not so much as a PR/KR. Either way you won't be hearing me crying for Brandon Williams, Arnaz Battle and whoever else we had back there that one year they averaged more fumbles per game than return yards I think were in pretty good shape in the return department compared to last year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 13, 2014 at 2:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
McCray and Seymour are my keep an eye on guys this year. In the past Tukuafu was on my radar, Tramaine Brock and then I called TJE over Tukuafu last year. I'm not as confident though and won't guarantee but just more of keep an eye out. Maybe it's next year who knows. As for returns I think Ellington will be the guy at PR/KR, James probably #2 but Cox lit it up a few pre-seasons ago and had multiple touchdowns in college, Acker the same. Morris can return I'm sure and so can Wylie although not sure it pays to give him reps as he won't make the team anyways. Patton did last year but I think he's too much of a juker.. he wants to dance too much which can work as a WR but not so much as a PR/KR. Either way you won't be hearing me crying for Brandon Williams, Arnaz Battle and whoever else we had back there that one year they averaged more fumbles per game than return yards I think were in pretty good shape in the return department compared to last year.

Love predicting those "gems" that end up making the team that nobody saw coming. One guy that blew me away last year was TJE so well done on that one!

These are two of mine as well. Also, DeUh also noted way back to keep an eye on Bykowski. He's come a long ways from last year where he blew chunks.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM ]
^^^ I rewatched the Ravens game with an eye on McCray.

Found/saw some intersting things:
1. The starters for the first half were Dahl (SS) and Spillman (FS). But McCray started the second half at SS next to Spillman (you'd expect Campbell here). Ironically, I'm leaning towards these two being the primary backups to Reid/Ward & Bethea. I think the coaches wanted to see what they have in their perceived 2nd team?
2. The first thing that stood out to me was his speed. He plays much faster than both Spillman and Dahl (esp.) and seems to have much more range. This makes sense given in college, he was used in the slot also like how Ward is currently being used with us.
3. Good nose for the ball and willing to stick it in there on running plays but needs to learn to be a touch faster and play off blocks better (first run play he was there but got blocked out of the play and subsquently pancacked by a WR).
4. We played him deep S (vanilla) about 50% of the time so he had a lot of ground to cover just to make tackles/plays on the ball/help with coverage. He's fast playing down hill esp. The other 50% of the time, we had him up and near the LOS (did great here). Wasn't challenged deep at all.
5. Loved his play inside the Ravens 3 yard line. Crept up to the LOS and blew up a TE 5 yards into the backfield on the left side and did it with one shoulder to keep his hands free (he used this technique x2 and it worked well to play off and through both blocks). It forced the RB inside for a 4 yard gain (late persuit by others).
6. On the play where Johnson downed the ball on the 1 yard line, it was McCray who was the first one down and he occupied the returner so Johnson could catch a clean bounce.
7. He got one PF call against him but it was total B.S. late in the 4th. Seriously, it was a joke.
8. He played the entire second half (great sign).

Overall: He seems about exactly where you want him...didn't make any mental mistakes, some good technique, form tackling, around the ball in run/pass when to his side, had a few tackles (non-credited assists), physical, stuck his nose in there, good speed, range, esp. aggressive around the LOS, played inside the box and in deep cover shell, plays a bit hesitant (thinking/diagnosing), can get washed out, can play a bit high at times, etc. and I see him contributing on ST coverage units as well. Dahl is going to have to play exceptional (high salary) to justify keeping him over McCray IMHO. His "quietness" yet effectiveness/discipline reminds me of another guy I picked to make the roster under the radar...Marcus Cooper.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
with blake i guess out of the picture for whatever reason, i assume we hold onto either bubba or osgood? gotta have at least one of those guys on our roster i would think
Osgood.
Share 49ersWebzone