LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:
Yep.

lol
We'll be just fine , as long as we continue to have success building the team through the draft , our team will only continue to improve
Every team does . . . according to this we're already $5.2 million over next years projected figure

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=49ers
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
If we pro rate the signing bonus over the length of the contract, Kap only counts for 2M this year, right? SO we have 4M left over from Rogers to sign someone else for 2014, right?

You can only prorate it out for the first five years, so it's something like $3.8M. Still pretty low, though. If we had close to $8.5, minus Kap's deal gives us $4M (with all our rookies signed). I think we'll sit on that $4M in case we need to make a TC or early season signing, and then work towards a Crabtree extension during the early part of the year.

I think we can make Crabtree works if he renegotiates the rest of his current year contract to fit under the salary cap, and then grow his cap hit in a year or two when the cap is expected to balloon.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Every team does . . . according to this we're already $5.2 million over next years projected figure

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=49ers

When the cap space we have from this year rolls over into the next we won't be over the cap. Not to mention we will let some expensive vets go for some of our redshirted and cheap rookie labor. We have lots of guys that won't make certain game day active roster incentives and that money will roll over as well
Originally posted by JoeMontana:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
In all seriousness, Seattle will be affected in the long run more than we will.
I'll let you guys figure out how

Now that Sheattle has signed major deals to two other players this year and will have to sign Russell Wilson to something similar to Kaeps deal, they are doomed.

This. I can't WAIT for contract negotiations for little russell wilson to begin.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't believe we will see any big names cut. Only not signed when FAs, like a Iupati, or Crabs (I'm holding out hope he will sign for a fair market value).

Now I haven't seen a damn thing yet on his details, so we'll see how it helps or hurts the cap in future years. I can say the following before the cap deal.

2015 cap room was $11.599M
2016 cap room was $61.157M
2017 cap room was $100.164M
2018 cap room was $149.387M (Only 3 under contract)
2019 cap room was $173.625M (Only Anthony Davis under contract)

The only vet I see with a possible cut designation would be McDonald, only if Tank makes him expendable, not because of cap room issues.

I'm with you on this one as well. We'll wait for the details but if we've learned anything about Niner contracts, they are very fair and always give us an out and are cap friendly and a win-win for everyone. We'll probably end up looking back at this contract in a few years and realize how "fair" it was for us. That said, with CK's comments and knowing how far ahead this FO thinks, you've got to figure that Crabtree's deal is already done or at least the paramaters are set for fair market value with wiggle room to sign him. We'll probably lose one or two guys like we do every year (Iupati) but like another noted, Gore would be off the books as well so it usually works out pretty well and if you look at the Team Needs threads over the past few years, we always have WAY more gains than loses when it's all said and done.

PS: And don't underestimate how willing Niner players are at restructuring their contracts either...CK will be no different than anyone else (Gore, Bowman, Willis, etc.).
Every time the Niners make a roster move towards youth, the Kaep haters will blame this deal. I think Crabs, and Iupati were goners no matter what. Boone and VD...I don't know what it will take to make them happy, but if the team had to move on with out all four, it could, and we would be fine, we have depth at all positions. All that aside, I can't even make real qualified statement about the deal, until AB81, tells me what to think! Ab, you are my main capologist, I a wait your opinion.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by JoeMontana:

Now that Sheattle has signed major deals to two other players this year and will have to sign Russell Wilson to something similar to Kaeps deal, they are doomed.

This. I can't WAIT for contract negotiations for little russell wilson to begin.

Economic warfare...
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Every time the Niners make a roster move towards youth, the Kaep haters will blame this deal. I think Crabs, and Iupati were goners no matter what. Boone and VD...I don't know what it will take to make them happy, but if the team had to move on with out all four, it could, and we would be fine, we have depth at all positions. All that aside, I can't even make real qualified statement about the deal, until AB81, tells me what to think! Ab, you are my main capologist, I a wait your opinion.

This is very likely, but we will consider the source and take it for what it's worth. I wish the deal was a bit longer but then it would be torn up in four or five years and rewritten anyway.

This team is great at drafting, finding affordable free agents, and developing most positions over time. Improvements need to be made in the WR position development so that Boldin and Crabtree can be replaced if need be, but I can't think of another position that has been a problem...center? It's been a little shaky but seems on the way to solidity.

When I look at the niners roster and the ages of key backups I'm always just amazed at the talent and affordability of these guys...the draft slot system really helps.
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by Murphys1:
These QBs continue to talk like it's all about the team, then continue to gut their teams financially. They are hypocrites. Why can't they be honest, at least, and just say they want the most money, even if it costs them, and us, championship opportunities in the future. They should own their greed. Sorry for the negativity.

I agree that it makes it difficult for teams when players sign mega contracts but I don't blame the players for taking as much money as they can get. Especially when one wrong move or big hit can end your career. Another way to look at it is would you work for less money at your job so that your boss can hire more people , I wouldn't.
Don't worry the FO will find ways to keep good players on the team.

Now that we have overreacted based on the first tidbits of information, the story is way off base, or at least incomplete.
$126 mill/ $60 guaranteed (actual 12.97 mill guaranteed)

"The sky is falling". Kap has Flacco'd the team. $21 million per , we won't be able to sign anyone like the Ravens.

Raven's lost many players immediately that has set them back years. Their signing their QB, hurt them immediately

2014 cap hit is 3.7 million. Less the Glenn Dorsey and half of the impact of Frank Gore's cap hit. There are a dozens guys impacting our cap more than Colin. So we aren't Flacco'd. And that smacks of "team friendly".

Also their is this clause: "Potential $12M of de-escalation at $2M per year from 2015-2020. This can be voided annually with 80% of snaps AND Super Bowl Appearance or 1st/2nd Team All-Pro"

Somebody smarter than me (like AB81) might understand the above better than I, but to me this says Kap has to be all-pro or take us to the Super Bowl, to get $2 mill of his money. What other QB has a performance clause like that? Only pay me if I deliver big-time? His 2015 cap number of $17 mill drops by 2 mill unless I play "lights-out"? Many "team friendly" aspects?

By 2017 Kap's impact goes north $20 mill (only if hitting his clause) but, the Team Salary Cap by then could be $40 mill higher. Most likely by this time some QB will be making $25-30 mill range and Kap will be a better deal than Staley.

Also I found this curious: Kaepernick has to pay for an insurance policy against getting hurt of $20 million. Why does he have to pay instead of the Niners, since the Niners will receive the money?? Because the likely hood of injury in 7 years is pretty high. So the policy will be outrageous and into the millions of dollars for the duration (insuring against a one in a million event is super cheap/ insuring against a 50% chance is incredibly and unbelievably expensive) . Reduce that number from his pay also.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM ]

Aldon and Iupati will be gone
[ Edited by KapToBoldin on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM ]
Originally posted by KapToBoldin:
Aldon and Iupati will be gone

Kaepernick's cap is $3.7 million. Gore and both Davis' have a cap hit well north of $21 million. So, it will be hard to lay this at Kaepernick's feet. But, apparently that won't stop the Zone.
Even if he hits all his escalators which involve being a first team all pro or going to the superbowl it takes this deal 3-4 years to hit 18 mil in cap hit. The deal is insanely cap friendly and anybody who says otherwise over reacted when it was announced and isnt willing to eat crow.

/thread
Adam S. said on ESPN ("money for the mentor"), that Kaeperkicks deal isn't even what players will compare to because he's been winning. He said they'll want Cutler money. Meaning we got a huge deal with Kaep because we have him at the price of cutler, but a much better player. ALSO, he said that next year Wilson and Luck will get around 25 MILLION.

To say the least, I think we got ourselves a good deal.
This is the year to win with these guys. We'll be competitive for years, but after this years, guys will be gone to make room for Kaeps money, and emerging rookies.
Share 49ersWebzone