LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

• kray28
  • Veteran
Being a Laker fan, we just went through this when Kobe signed his two year extension. It gets tiresome to hear the same broken record about how somehow it's on the players to sacrifice financially for the team at large. Fans are delusional.

It's not on the players...all of these guys, Kap included, are literally one play away from a career ending injury. They significantly risk their well being and future health to be out there playing this game. I definitely do not begrudge them wanting to secure themselves financially as much as is possible.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't believe we will see any big names cut. Only not signed when FAs, like a Iupati, or Crabs (I'm holding out hope he will sign for a fair market value).

Now I haven't seen a damn thing yet on his details, so we'll see how it helps or hurts the cap in future years. I can say the following before the cap deal.

2015 cap room was $11.599M
2016 cap room was $61.157M
2017 cap room was $100.164M
2018 cap room was $149.387M (Only 3 under contract)
2019 cap room was $173.625M (Only Anthony Davis under contract)

The only vet I see with a possible cut designation would be McDonald, only if Tank makes him expendable, not because of cap room issues.

I'm with you on this one as well. We'll wait for the details but if we've learned anything about Niner contracts, they are very fair and always give us an out and are cap friendly and a win-win for everyone. We'll probably end up looking back at this contract in a few years and realize how "fair" it was for us. That said, with CK's comments and knowing how far ahead this FO thinks, you've got to figure that Crabtree's deal is already done or at least the paramaters are set for fair market value with wiggle room to sign him. We'll probably lose one or two guys like we do every year (Iupati) but like another noted, Gore would be off the books as well so it usually works out pretty well and if you look at the Team Needs threads over the past few years, we always have WAY more gains than loses when it's all said and done.

PS: And don't underestimate how willing Niner players are at restructuring their contracts either...CK will be no different than anyone else (Gore, Bowman, Willis, etc.).

I think Justin Smith's contract might be done soon as well. Not 100% sure though.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Murphys1:
These QBs continue to talk like it's all about the team, then continue to gut their teams financially. They are hypocrites. Why can't they be honest, at least, and just say they want the most money, even if it costs them, and us, championship opportunities in the future. They should own their greed. Sorry for the negativity.
Brady is the exception to that rule, but I think his wife makes more than he does.
Of course, what good team doesnt after a while.I dont personally feel we'll have as many as some have had over the years though.The bigger question to me would be will we have long term sustsinability?? I think m hope we will, but only time will tell.
Originally posted by BobS:
These QBs continue to talk like it's all about the team, then continue to gut their teams financially. They are hypocrites. Why can't they be honest, at least, and just say they want the most money, even if it costs them, and us, championship opportunities in the future. They should own their greed. Sorry for the negativity.
Brady is the exception to that rule, but I think his wife makes more than he does.

lol this. Easy to take a pay cut when your model wife makes $40+ mil per year. Fully guaranteed btw.
There's always cap causalities, so by association, yes there will be. But for heaven sakes, the sky isn't falling guys.
Originally posted by kray28:
Being a Laker fan, we just went through this when Kobe signed his two year extension. It gets tiresome to hear the same broken record about how somehow it's on the players to sacrifice financially for the team at large. Fans are delusional.

It's not on the players...all of these guys, Kap included, are literally one play away from a career ending injury. They significantly risk their well being and future health to be out there playing this game. I definitely do not begrudge them wanting to secure themselves financially as much as is possible.

YES,...Because the fact of the matter is the owners could get together with the NFLPA tomorrow if they wanted to and increase the players' revenue sharing percentage with the directive of giving non-QBs more of a piece of the pie.

As it stands, they're leaving the players to argue & fight amongst themselves for dollars, which is good business for them to have severely underpaid players getting half of what comparable players are due and getting.

Good for the owners, I guess,...but I'll always root for the players to get what they can if that's what they want. That's the only way to make the owners go back to the drawing board.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

lol this. Easy to take a pay cut when your model wife makes $40+ mil per year. Fully guaranteed btw.

Thing is...Brady didn't take a cut. He restructured his last deal, which put his money in his pocket as a bonus.
Originally posted by random49er:

YES,...Because the fact of the matter is the owners could get together with the NFLPA tomorrow if they wanted to and increase the players' revenue sharing percentage with the directive of giving non-QBs more of a piece of the pie.

As it stands, they're leaving the players to argue & fight amongst themselves for dollars, which is good business for them to have severely underpaid players getting half of what comparable players are due and getting.

Good for the owners, I guess,...but I'll always root for the players to get what they can if that's what they want. That's the only way to make the owners go back to the drawing board.
Great points fellas. If the owners wanted to raise the cap to a number high enough to keep key free agents, they can at will. They will not for the simple fact that want to cash in.
Except player prices also scale with cap increases so they cancel each other out. This is one of the reasons the Kap deal will look better down the road when QB salaries keep inflating with the cap increase.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Jun 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM ]

• Antix
  • Veteran
Yes.

But theres this event called the NFL draft that happens every year..
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Thing is...Brady didn't take a cut. He restructured his last deal, which put his money in his pocket as a bonus.

Brady, you sly dog you,....the guy has it made.

if we were in their position we would all do the same thing
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

if we were in their position we would all do the same thing
Well, it's not ALL about money to everyone on this board....is it? My job was never based on money first, and I bet many of you are the same.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Very disappointed. While he's a good QB, he's not great. If he trusted the play in the super bowl and the NFC championship game rather than locking on Crabtree, we might have 2 more rings now. Will he get better, probably. However, the fact that he makes his wide receivers worse, not better, is troubling to me.
Share 49ersWebzone