LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

Originally posted by cciowa:
haha.. they may have been old but they played at a high level . i really hope gore would be like young and just retire with us. i do not want to see him end up like oj or franco harris, or roger craig and dorsett,, in strange uniforms just a shell of themselves. now i really did not hate oj at the time as a player because it was not his fault we gave up uncle jrs. farm to get him when he had nothing left. i do not want to have that type of an impression of gore struggling on some cellar dwellar

Sure agree about Gore not going to a cellar dweller! But he could really help some good young teams, teaching them how to be pros. Perhaps he could go back to Florida to finish his career...Miami and Tampa are up and coming (or crashing) teams. Also agree regarding OJ...they picked up OJ and Plunkett when both were damaged goods...at lest Plunkett didn't morgage the future.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by bigwads:
Iupati will not be resigned. Crabtree is 50/50.

McDonald is gone after this year. If Hyde and lattimore have good preseasons I wouldn't be surprised if Gore is gone before the season starts.

I think Lynch in Seattle has a lackluster chance of starting the season than compared to Gore. -Gore is on the final (retirement) year of his contract, this is his last year, and his job will be riding out a champion, and Hyde and Lattimore ready, cause Gore will be coaching the both of them on the sidelines in 2015.
i really think gore and justin will be playing their last year for us. those are two tough decisions we will not have to make. if i am wrong and they come back and can still play at a high level in 2015-2016, i am all for it.. in regards to your last theory about gore,, i have always said great players do not make great coaches but in the case of rathman and gore i will make the exception and hope your theory turns out right! justin would not be a bad coach either

What a way to end their careers than with a trophy right? I think if we did win the SB this year, Smith and Gore will retire. I think if we don't win the SB this year, they come back on one year deals. However I think Justin has 2 more years on his contract? There is no way the 49ers release Gore before the start of the season...are you crazy! They aren't going to treat him like that. If this is his last year or not, I really believe he retires a 49er and doesn't go anywhere else like Rice did.
We gonna win the Super Bowl this year and the high priced vets that ride off into the sunset will give us plenty of cap space going forward. Kaep contract is in line with a reasonable QB salary slot. We look good...
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by reefer333:
I am a bit confused on why the contract is team friendly. Can someone please explain what I am missing? I understand that the team can cut ties with Kap if he is not living it up to the contract, but assuming that doesn't happen, he will be eating up a big part of the salary cap every year. Here is the contract details. Starting 2015, he has big cap figures.

Compare to Joe Flacco's contract, at least the first three years, the cap hit is pretty low, and not sure about the details, but if they cut him in 2016, may be they only take a hit of $11.6M remaining signing bonus? Keep in mind that Flacco didn't have any year remaining when he signed his contract I believe, so we should be comparing Kap's 2015 to Flacco's 2013, Kap's 2016 to Flacco's 2014 and so on..

1) First year number allow team to resign other players.
2) Low Signing bonus means little dead money if he is released.
3) "Guaranteed" money is year to year, IE he only gets it if on roster after April 1st.
4) His contract de-escalated (shrinks) by 2 mil in any season that doesn't take 80% of the snaps AND is either All-Pro or in a Super Bowl.
5) He has to buy an insurance plan that gives the 49ers 20 mil if he sustains a career ending injury.
6) Secures him for 7 full years at todays $$$ when the cap is about to rise DRAMATICALLY over the next several years (IE, this will look like chump change in 3 or 4 years).

Any more questions?

This isn't quite correct. His contract de-escalates any year he doesn't take 80% of the snaps and get either all pro (1st or 2nd team) or a SB appearance until the 1st year he does it. The de-escalation stops thereafter. If he plays 80% and goes to the SB in 2014 he gets the full 2mil per year every year as written in the contract regardless of what he does in seasons after.

I think that's incorrect....but is a source of confusion here.

The breakdown article I read says its a year to year thing, not something he can attain to eliminate the rest of the De-escalators.

EDIT:

There it is...

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/breaking-down-the-kaepernick-deal/

"De-Escalator: The contract contains a $12 million de-escalator clause that could drop Kaepernick's base salary by $2 million each from 2015-2020. He can avoid this decrease by playing in 80% of the 49ers snaps AND either taking the team to the Super Bowl or becoming a 1st or 2nd team All-Pro. This incentive exists each year. His performance in 2014 will directly affect his salary in 2015, and so forth. This is a unique component to a maximum contract, and one that could become leveraged more with the "running quarterback" become prevalent in the league again"
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jun 6, 2014 at 8:30 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Sure agree about Gore not going to a cellar dweller! But he could really help some good young teams, teaching them how to be pros. Perhaps he could go back to Florida to finish his career...Miami and Tampa are up and coming (or crashing) teams. Also agree regarding OJ...they picked up OJ and Plunkett when both were damaged goods...at lest Plunkett didn't morgage the future.

and plunkett was lucky he had a great running game in 76 with delvin and wilbur, plus he had outstanding targets to throw to like gene washington, willie mcgee and kwalik,, and of course he had the best pass rush in the history of the nfl. all he had to do was be a game manager that year when we started 6-1. injuries came, plunkett could not win games on his own but for whatever reason we saw the turnaround in his career when he went to oakland
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am still trying to figure out the cap.

I think there are three elements, besides football skills and roster needs, to consider when we look at possible cap cuts.

Those elements are cap cost, the cap savings, and dead money.

Below is a table with the 2014 figures for some of the players who could be cut.

compiled from: http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=49ers

I am sure I missed something.
I have a question. Why are his descalators in his contract tied to "getting us to the Super Bowl" ? Why not winning the SB?

What fan will be happy if Kap gets substantially more money by repeating 2012? I think it has been established that the difference between almost winning a ring and winning a ring aren't even in the same stratosphere.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I have a question. Why are his descalators in his contract tied to "getting us to the Super Bowl" ? Why not winning the SB?

What fan will be happy if Kap gets substantially more money by repeating 2012? I think it has been established that the difference between almost winning a ring and winning a ring aren't even in the same stratosphere.

That was the shrewd negotiating of Kap's people.

"Come on winning the super bowl is not all on Kap, lets just make it if he gets there"

It may have started as Super bowl MVP so they probably worked hard to get it down to just making the super bowl. Great job!!!
Share 49ersWebzone