LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

I would put my Crabtree or Iupati jersey on ebay or craigslist right now if I had one.
Not sure of the details yet, but I have yet to see Trent Baalke sign anyone to a bad deal. Even the ones we got out of (Carlos Rogers for example) didn't hurt us.

Not only that, but I think the majority of fans were already prepared for Mike Iupati to leave. It's Crabtree contract who's up in the air. But outside of that, I don't expect us to lose anyone important.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
Yep.
Will there be... yes!

Will it matter... yet to be determined
In all seriousness, Seattle will be affected in the long run more than we will.
I'll let you guys figure out how
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
f**k no. Yep, I said it. At least not anything unexpected: i.e., the mass exodus of players who are purloined by the cowboys or some other dumpster fire organization.
[ Edited by fropwns on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
There were cap casualties *this* year - and the year before, even without Colin's cap impact. Of course the answer will be yes. Every team has to deal with the cap. It's just that so far - the 49ers and a few other teams have done a fine job of dealing with the cap so far.
They will lose a few impact players, sure... As long as Kaep refines his game as a passer, the losses we have won't keep us from consistently strong seasons.
I don't believe we will see any big names cut. Only not signed when FAs, like a Iupati, or Crabs(I'm holding out hope he will sign for a fair market value).

Now I haven't seen a damn thing yet on his details, so we'll see how it helps or hurts the cap in future years. I cans ay the following before the cap deal.

2015 cap room was $11.599M
2016 cap room was $61.157M
2017 cap room was $100.164M
2018 cap room was $149.387M (Only 3 under contract)
2019 cap room was $173.625M (Only Anthony Davis under contract)

The only vet I see with a possible cut designation would be McDonald, only if Tank makes him expendable, not because of cap room issues.

Honestly, I don't think so. I have a ton of confidence in Baalke and Paraage that they will continue to field a deep, talented roster while cleverly managing the cap.

The increase to Kap's salary cap charge will likely be offset in the future by older, declining players coming off the books. Re-signing Kap was as simple as releasing Carlos Rogers, which was a no-brainer. Expect similar moves when it's time to re-sign a young key player.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:33 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
We're Kapped out, but no casualties..........
I heard he took a low signing bonus to help us keep some upcoming free agents aka Crabtree.
I see gore gone or resigned for 3-4 if he even stays, iupati is gone bc we got his and gores replacements. Macdonald might be gone and sadly enough brooks may be gone if we choose to extend Crabtree and possibly Boone. Hopefully the salary cap increases next year so we only have to lose iupati and gore and keep everyone else.. It would be great to keep 3 number one Wrs for another 2 years bc boldin will be gone after this year or the next.

So I would say iupati gore boldin are gone after next year and maybe McDonald.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't believe we will see any big names cut. Only not signed when FAs, like a Iupati, or Crabs (I'm holding out hope he will sign for a fair market value).

Now I haven't seen a damn thing yet on his details, so we'll see how it helps or hurts the cap in future years. I can say the following before the cap deal.

2015 cap room was $11.599M
2016 cap room was $61.157M
2017 cap room was $100.164M
2018 cap room was $149.387M (Only 3 under contract)
2019 cap room was $173.625M (Only Anthony Davis under contract)

The only vet I see with a possible cut designation would be McDonald, only if Tank makes him expendable, not because of cap room issues.

I'm with you on this one as well. We'll wait for the details but if we've learned anything about Niner contracts, they are very fair and always give us an out and are cap friendly and a win-win for everyone. We'll probably end up looking back at this contract in a few years and realize how "fair" it was for us. That said, with CK's comments and knowing how far ahead this FO thinks, you've got to figure that Crabtree's deal is already done or at least the paramaters are set for fair market value with wiggle room to sign him. We'll probably lose one or two guys like we do every year (Iupati) but like another noted, Gore would be off the books as well so it usually works out pretty well and if you look at the Team Needs threads over the past few years, we always have WAY more gains than loses when it's all said and done.

PS: And don't underestimate how willing Niner players are at restructuring their contracts either...CK will be no different than anyone else (Gore, Bowman, Willis, etc.).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone