LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Costanzo's back

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Special teams really dropped off and hurt us in 2012, seeing Costanzo back is nice. There are going to be some really, really tough decisions in August.
Originally posted by NCommand:
And very rarely this (4 WR's and a TE)...usually the "receivers" are 2 WR's, a RB or FB split out, 2 TE's, etc.

Its about depth. We have at least 2 receivers go down every year.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Great move !! I have always loved this kid. Like someone said, is time to revive the Tony Montana squad !!

Worst song I've ever heard but whatever gets that coverage unit fired up is cool with me! Bring it...

I know. They should play Cowboys From Hell or Walk by Pantera, or maybe go old school and play Headhunter by Krokus!
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
And very rarely this (4 WR's and a TE)...usually the "receivers" are 2 WR's, a RB or FB split out, 2 TE's, etc.

Please do not jinx us, my friend!

We deserve, just once, to have a full compliment of weapons, top-to-bottom for a full season.
This! Morris and Osgood are the #1 and #2 gunners (and are amazing at it). You don't mess with that AND Osgood CAN play WR if needed...he's just not used in that role b/c of the talent ahead of him. Costanzo would be a wedge-buster, wouldn't he? He would be high on ST tackles (mostly down the middle of the field)? I have no idea who's position he would take though...Moody?

Spillman can play gunner very well too. And he's a bigger part of our goal line D than Osgood is of our offense. Gunners fairly important but not enough to keep a guy thats only a gunner when you can have 4 #1 receivers instead.

It's a fair point. Osgood is going to have to earn it big time. Hell, I'm not even sure Spillman will make this team now...the 53 is going to be brutal. I can't even imagine the 46!

We deserve, just once, to have a full compliment of weapons, top-to-bottom for a full season.

Haha not trying to jinx us. Im just saying we need the insurance. Having osgoods great gunner skills didnt help last year when we needed receivers.

Haha not trying to jinx us. Im just saying we need the insurance. Having osgoods great gunner skills didnt help last year when we needed receivers.

He did play receiver for us...one game was it? Did well. Didn't need him after that but either way, you do NOT want to get down to Osgood receiving or Costanzo at ILB ever. LOL
This! Morris and Osgood are the #1 and #2 gunners (and are amazing at it). You don't mess with that AND Osgood CAN play WR if needed...he's just not used in that role b/c of the talent ahead of him. Costanzo would be a wedge-buster, wouldn't he? He would be high on ST tackles (mostly down the middle of the field)? I have no idea who's position he would take though...Moody?

Spillman can play gunner very well too. And he's a bigger part of our goal line D than Osgood is of our offense. Gunners fairly important but not enough to keep a guy thats only a gunner when you can have 4 #1 receivers instead.

It's a fair point. Osgood is going to have to earn it big time. Hell, I'm not even sure Spillman will make this team now...the 53 is going to be brutal. I can't even imagine the 46!

Yea this seasons going to be something else. This team is just loaded. Could be something very special.
Originally posted by thl408:
I thought Osgood and Costanzo don't even play the same position on special teams. Osgood is a gunner. He lines up wide and is counted on to be the firs guy down the field on punt and kickoff coverage. Constanzo is not used in this role. Guys like Ventrone, Moody, Whilhoite, Lemonier, these are the guys that are in danger of losing their spot on special teams.

This BIG TIME!

Osgood was excellent on ST.

Didn't he also block a FG last season?
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Jun 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM ]

or course it didn't help, but it did help with our STs, even a PBlocked Vs seattle !

Osgood is a keeper

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by thl408:
I thought Osgood and Costanzo don't even play the same position on special teams. Osgood is a gunner. He lines up wide and is counted on to be the firs guy down the field on punt and kickoff coverage. Constanzo is not used in this role. Guys like Ventrone, Moody, Whilhoite, Lemonier, these are the guys that are in danger of losing their spot on special teams.

This BIG TIME!

Osgood was excellent on ST.

Didn't he also block a FG last season?

I would keep Osgood and let Bubba go.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

or course it didn't help, but it did help with our STs, even a PBlocked Vs seattle !

Osgood is a keeper

Good point about Osgood's punt blocks. His speed as well as his length really is useful for that.
Does this mean the Tony Montana Squad is back?
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Does this mean the Tony Montana Squad is back?

No.

Share 49ersWebzone