LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 375 users in the forums

Why does everyone besides Kaep seem expendable now (per fan base)?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why does everyone besides Kaep seem expendable now (per fan base)?

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
We realize that Kaep is most likely gonna get paid 18 Mil/yr (probably). But I haven't heard one negative comment on a new deal for him. And he's proven some things, but still has some growing to do. As is expected.

But soon, we will have Crabs, VD, Boone, and a few others that may want new deals.

Except now, go in VD's thread, Crabs, and in a few others, and they are all expendable. We are talking about how they can be replaced, or aren't playing like they used too, or they shouldn't be selfish and let Kaep's deal get done first, then the rest follow.

Just saying it's starting to seem a little more hypocritical than usual. A lot of these players have been staples in the offense, and only getting better as years go by, but now when it comes to cash, they should keep it low, or move on... That aint right.....

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?????

You obviously haven't been in the Kap thread at all this off season.

Also, I haven't seen any large contingent of fans saying VD is expendable, he's obviously a huge part of this offense and he is compensated appropriately, he is paid in the top 3 of TE's, doesn't seem necessary to tear up his contract and start over right now. I think Boone is deserving of a new contract and I'd like to keep Crabs but he may just want too much money.

Also, the one big upcoming free agent you didn't list is the one most likely to not be resigned by the Niners, Mike Iupati.

LOL. Actually nope not that much, but I just went in there now. And I just looked at random pages. For the most part it's almost true as I stated in the beginning. You have more that are clamoring for a new deal than those that don't want one. Now the difference is, in terms of years, and how much. Now i saw that debated constantly, but not much to the effect of not giving a new deal. I'd say just from the pages I saw it was at least 75-80% that said get er done.

And yeah i forgot about Iupati..... Really the main purpose of this thread is, I have no problem with fans debating on salary and all that, thats what we do. I just find it funny that now because of the cash now some of the players don't produce, or could be better, etc. That's all.

For example Crabs.... Ok he may want a big chunk of cash, I don't know. But when i start reading about him not producing as much, or could be replaced easily that's when I have a little issue. If someone thinks the money is too high, no problem. But then don't someone make excuses now, on lack of production or inflated numbers as being the reasoning not too maybe pay the man, know what I mean...

Sure there are a lot of irrational fans out there, not sure that's really worth starting a thread over but ok. It just seemed that the overall point of your original post was that Kap is immune from these criticisms that are being heaped on other players up for contract, that's not true from what I have seen. I also think you might be overstating how much hate these other players are getting just a bit. Yes there are a few extreme viewpoints but its best to ignore the crazies, they'll flame themselves out eventually. Personally I really don't pay much mind to the contracts players get, I have faith in Baalke and Paraag to get the job done.
I have to admit, it does seem like there's a lot of sour grapes on these forums.

For example, let's look at Crabtree: training camp last year, Crabtree tears his Achillies.
"According to Pro Football Focus, on a per-route basis Crab was one top 10-15 receivers in the league."
"Oh man, this is a devestating loss!"
"Look at how great our passing numbers are with Crab! His and Kaep's chemistry is awesome!"
"We lost in Seattle because we didn't have Crab. These replacements killed us. We are a different offense with Crab."

Now it's time to pay Crabtree, and suddenly I feel like it's...
"The guy is a total diva. Held out as a rookie, and how that greedy b*****d wants more."
"Crabtree is NOT an elite receiver. What is he smoking?"
"Good riddance. Look at these numbers other receivers put up other systems [ignoring the fact that we are a run-heavy offense]. Crab simply does not match up."
"Dude does not deserve big money. He can't stay healthy."
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
i personally think kaep is overated and doesn't deserve top 5 money. he surrounded by a dominant team, a team alex smith took far into the playoffs. i think harbs can do this with any QB thats half decent. he is a good player yea, but would you take him over brady, eli manning , brees, peyton, rogers, i don't think so. i also think russell wilson is very overated, they both surrounded by dominant teams.

That's nice. Colin is not asking for Brady money. He is asking for Stafford and Cutler money.
Originally posted by sevenup3000:
i personally think kaep is overated and doesn't deserve top 5 money. he surrounded by a dominant team, a team alex smith took far into the playoffs. i think harbs can do this with any QB thats half decent. he is a good player yea, but would you take him over brady, eli manning , brees, peyton, rogers, i don't think so. i also think russell wilson is very overated, they both surrounded by dominant teams.

That's nice. Colin is not asking for Brady money. He is asking for Stafford and Cutler money.

lol i know the point your trying to make but Stafford and Cutler make more then Brady...also Romo...I guess you can blame these three QB for throwing off the payment scale...because of that now the going rate for Kap is 15 to 18 mill a year...

I would definitely take Kaepernick over Eli 2good4theteamthatdraftedhim Manning
  • SaksV
  • Veteran

How does this make any sense? So when Alex Smith goes deep into the playoffs, he's the one that took them there, but with Kap (who has made it further...TWICE) it's due to his supporting cast? Please forgive me if I misunderstood this but I don't comprehend the bias.
[ Edited by SaksV on Jun 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM ]
Give me Boone and Aldon.
Originally posted by SaksV:

How does this make any sense? So when Alex Smith goes deep into the playoffs, he's the one that took them there, but with Kap (who has made it further...TWICE) it's due to his supporting cast? Please forgive me if I misunderstood this but I don't comprehend the bias.

Because no one argued for Alex Smith to get Top 5 QB Money. Kap is overrated with respect to the contract he will command.
If a QB is winning he stays
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Always believe in Kaep. Never question Kaep. Just fall in line and chant "Kaep is great, Kaep is great."

...or essentially complain about everything, constantly scream the sky is falling, and call yourself SanDiego49er.

...or stress that 100% of Kaep's success is the result of having top talent around him and tell everybody to watch Pocket-Passer-Gabbert "tearing it up" after Kaep signs with some other team. Maybe Miami?

Originally posted by est1985:
I've seen hundreds of posts where fans don't want to pay Kaep that kinda money.

There were hundreds of posts demanding that we draft Gabbert in 2011 too, or Ponder.
Originally posted by cciowa:
he is the cornerstone for your offense in my opinion , we got lucky by not paying him alot so far but now you have to pony up some dollars. lol at some people who think you just can plug in a nate davis or bj whatever the f**k his name was and you do not skip a beat

...but, but, but Kaep was successful only because he has the best team around him. I'm sure Gabbert will do just as good if not better since he is a true "Pocket Passer".
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
GM, if something went sideways in Miami, whether with merit or not, and we didn't have kap's services for awhile, ever thot about just exactly what kind of team we could put on the field? Everyone tosses this off as done and gone, but what if? Obviously we all want this gone, but if that happened, what would you expect as a team out there? I thot about that initially when gabbert was signed, and prayed we had a better answer than that. Josh...could he perform well enough to keep us competitive for 4 games ...or 6 .....or 8? Do I think this is going to happen? NO, I don't. But my question is what if? Any thots? My hope would be that we win enough without kap to make a run when he returned. It would sure make some of the earlier games which look like locks look pretty iffy. So, would Josh be enough to keep us in it, or not? I didn't ask about gabbert because I think he is just way too far away from being a decent backup.

...but surely with a team like the Niners, any quarterback will have success.
Originally posted by ayetee:
...but surely with a team like the Niners, any quarterback will have success.

has to be a good QB... but 18+ mil per year good? eh....
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
Kaepernick is THE difference maker. The other team has to account for his legs so that opens stuff up especially in the playoffs when they tend to run him more.

You can blame him for not getting is reads down and going through progressions but that hopefully will come together this offseason. This is his 4th year in the system and 2nd year as the full time starter so this is when he's supposed to make his big jump.

They're on the cusp of a championship...and this is the year they'll get it.

And if u think Kaep isn't good enough...would you rather have Kaep or Alex Smith, Troy Smith, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan, Trent Dilfer, Chris Weinke, Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey or Cody Pickett? Cause that's what we had to suffer thru the last 10 years...i'm taking Kaepernick every time.

Jim Druckenmiller, Elvis Grbac, Ty Detmer?
Share 49ersWebzone