There are 244 users in the forums

Year 4 with Coach Harbaugh: What are you looking for?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
8-0 at home in our new digs + a winning record away

continue fundamentally sound football

not wasting timeouts

have balance receptions throughout our receiving core so we're not too dimensional (meaning Ellington, Patton, Lloyd, McDonald, running backs get receptions too)

Screen plays

easy/high percentage plays that result in YAC
Romanisms.... like running LMJ up the middle on 3rd and short with 4 wide... I bet this year our secret weapon will be the VM end around, having the fastest TE in the league would be too obvious to run an end around with him, so to be sneaky they are gonna take our slowest skill position player on an run that requires speed, no one will suspect it!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
Romanisms.... like running LMJ up the middle on 3rd and short with 4 wide... I bet this year our secret weapon will be the VM end around, having the fastest TE in the league would be too obvious to run an end around with him, so to be sneaky they are gonna take our slowest skill position player on an run that requires speed, no one will suspect it!
your play gets the roman seal of approval . may as well use him for something since they do not throw to him. Oh i take that back,, we actually targeted him once vs seattle i think and he came up with a very nice catch and run. of course we never went back to that play again
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Sometimes, on offense, I feel that we don't exploit what the D gives us . and in tight games we seemed to struggle making halftime adjustments. It like somebody is sticking to their guns and not altering the game plan. Who know but I'd like a little more creativity on the fly

We do often. Roman himself said as a justification for not sticking with a run or pass that was clearly successful, "We didn't get back to those plays (i.e. sticking with the script)." But if Harbaugh took over the play calling later last season as reported by TK, I'm wondering what kind of effect this will have on the offense (esp. the passing game) going forward.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
No more delay of game penalties. Especially not on 3rd & 1 w/ 3 time outs. Especially in the NFCCG.

FIX IT!!!!

This.. It really Shouldn't be asking too much . if the plays take to long to get to the huddle you use timeouts . we need to recognize these crucial moments and improve. Its been Driving everyone nutz for a while now . please.
And mixing up the snap count a little bit so were not always getting the plays off at the last second...

...which allows the pass rushers to fly off the snap right on que. I just don't see the advantage of this concept other than controlling the TOP more. This is great if it = points. But if it doesn't, it leads to added pressure on CK and the offense and him pressing and like we saw in the NFCCG, many unnecessary TO's.
I would like to see a reduction by about a 1/5 or a 1/4 the number of times a run between the tackles is called on first downs. I mean, I'm not saying to pass a lot more on first down - just run something else other than up the gut so often on first down. It drives me crazier sometimes (I'm always crazed during 9er games anyway).

And add me to the list of people who think the offense too often settles for three running plays and a field goal when they get in the red zone with a bit of a lead.
A 6th title. It's time this is the deepest roster he's had with minimal coaching turnover. No reason short of major injury not to get it done.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
A 6th title. It's time this is the deepest roster he's had with minimal coaching turnover. No reason short of major injury not to get it done.

on paper. you still gotta play the game, hope for no injuries and some luck. i do not judge the success of a franchise in todays nfl on whether or not they get a super bowl. we have made a deep run in the playoffs three years in a row and not many teams do that. IN "todays" nfl, that is all you can ask for in my opinion. and spare me any blather about how i am ok with just getting to the playoffs. i am being realistic in todays nfl world
Better clock management and better challenges.
Not having to call timeouts because of the play clock

Open up the offense ?? ...it wont happen , maybe we will see a few more sets with 3 WR's , but that's it ..Harbaugh is a bloody knuckles football kind of guy , a TE and FB will be used the majority of the time ....I just cant picture changes to the deep passing game where its obvious Harbaugh has changed his offensive philosophy ...I know some fans want to see some 4 WR sets where we throw the ball all over the field ....I just cant see it happening under Harbaugh, the best we can hope for is a few extra plays per game with multiple WR's ...other than that, its going to be a punch you in the mouth, hard hat & lunch pail offense based on hard work in the run game ...and IMO there aint nothing wrong with that
Why would Harbaugh be talking about a breakout year for Kaepernick if they weren't planning on expanding the passing game at least to some extent? And why would they go to camp with the deepest group of receivers in years if they weren't planning on more passing. I know a lot of fans around here always think that what you've seen before is always what you're going to see in the future, but I think Harbaugh is more clever than that.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
No more delay of game penalties. Especially not on 3rd & 1 w/ 3 time outs. Especially in the NFCCG.

FIX IT!!!!

This.. It really Shouldn't be asking too much . if the plays take to long to get to the huddle you use timeouts . we need to recognize these crucial moments and improve. Its been Driving everyone nutz for a while now . please.
And mixing up the snap count a little bit so were not always getting the plays off at the last second...

...which allows the pass rushers to fly off the snap right on que. I just don't see the advantage of this concept other than controlling the TOP more. This is great if it = points. But if it doesn't, it leads to added pressure on CK and the offense and him pressing and like we saw in the NFCCG, many unnecessary TO's.

The advantage of doing this is to try and force the safeties to declare their positions on the field. If you are able to watch the safeties, they move around a lot presnap to try and confuse Kap, a young QB. The Rams are notorious for this. I seriously doubt the defensive linemen are looking up at the playclock to get a jump at the snap. Maybe the stand up rushers are, but not the down linemen. You'd be able to see them look up at the end zone from their three point stance if they were doing this, which is not what any DL should be doing. They should be looking at the ball and trying to nail down the QB's cadence.

As for Harbaugh I'd like him to get Kap under the center more often. For a QB that needs to be looking at the field, taking a snap from center is counter productive. Kap needs to be looking at the field from snap to throw, not having to worry about securing the snap from center. I'd like for HaRo to get the play(s) promptly into Kap's helmet so he can break the huddle with ample time to survey the defense.

49ers love to pass out of running formations, but I want more draw plays out of passing formations. Hunter would excel at this sort of play.
FOUR TO TEN MORE YEARS!!!!!!
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:

FIX IT!!!!

The advantage of doing this is to try and force the safeties to declare their positions on the field. If you are able to watch the safeties, they move around a lot presnap to try and confuse Kap, a young QB. The Rams are notorious for this. I seriously doubt the defensive linemen are looking up at the playclock to get a jump at the snap. Maybe the stand up rushers are, but not the down linemen. You'd be able to see them look up at the end zone from their three point stance if they were doing this, which is not what any DL should be doing. They should be looking at the ball and trying to nail down the QB's cadence.

As for Harbaugh I'd like him to get Kap under the center more often. For a QB that needs to be looking at the field, taking a snap from center is counter productive. Kap needs to be looking at the field from snap to throw, not having to worry about securing the snap from center. I'd like for HaRo to get the play(s) promptly into Kap's helmet so he can break the huddle with ample time to survey the defense.

49ers love to pass out of running formations, but I want more draw plays out of passing formations. Hunter would excel at this sort of play.

No question...we talked about this one before as to the rationale for doing this. To make the S's declare. That said, CK often times is very much rushed to the LOS a lot so we can give him a few more seconds to relax, take a deep breathe and still snap with 3, 2 or 1 seconds left on the play clock (even after all the mostions and shifts). Obviously, yeah, the down side is if we don't change it up some, it could put us at a disadvantage with the pass rush (they can still easily time it IMHO). I wonder if the Hawks were doing this given they were getting a good jump in the NFCCG. So it really is a cat-and-mouse game but one done with a purpose (at least we think so).

No question on your other points!
Share 49ersWebzone