There are 274 users in the forums

Do the niners have the most talented offense in the league?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
By "some" you mean "most"? Who's saying our playcalling is brilliant?

Our play calling isn't brilliant but with the best WR core we've had since 2001 my guess is that the offense will improve even with Roman's subpar play calling.
Nope. What got exposed in the super bowl was denver's feeble defensive backfield.

Horrid performance.

It's true, though, that you have to give manning space in the pocket cause the old geezer can't make his own.Cliff made sure that didn't happen.

I also think that maybe the super bowl was the first time I thought denvers offensive staff fell down. The game plan was hopeless, all those wide receiver screens.

They should have reconsidered, kept an extra back for protection, and tried to give peyton some time to find the 15 yarders.

Anyway, with us, he would have gone all the way because we got the D.

Peyton put up 8 points...at the end of the contest! That was not on DEN defensive backfield. Sure they sucked but the greatest offense of all time was rendered useless as was NO aside from 15 points late 4th quarter. That defense shut down 2 I repeat 2 HOF QBs yet they had trouble with Kap in the same postseason. NO defense actually pitched a good ballgame on the road but Brees and co didn't get it done. As for Peyton, he had the luxury of playing SEA in NYC with 2 weeks to prepare yet he stunk up the joint. I think in light of these things we should be excited about our offense and our additions and what another offseason of seasoning can do for it especially as far as Kap is concerned
Originally posted by Clarity:
Our play calling isn't brilliant but with the best WR core we've had since 2001 my guess is that the offense will improve even with Roman's subpar play calling.

It will improve because both Kap and Roman have another year of experience and as you've said, we've added talent
No we do not. We have some nice pieces, but I'm not counting what we have on paper. Our O-line while good, is not exactly great yet. We are limited in what we do. We put points on the board, but we don't exactly blow anyone out, unless they are really bad (see Jacksonville and Houston). And to top it off, our offensive coordinator doesn't know how to get the best out of our players.

We can be better, but I don't see us living up to our potential unless Kaep overcomes Roman;s shortcomings.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Nope. What got exposed in the super bowl was denver's feeble defensive backfield.

Horrid performance.

It's true, though, that you have to give manning space in the pocket cause the old geezer can't make his own.Cliff made sure that didn't happen.

I also think that maybe the super bowl was the first time I thought denvers offensive staff fell down. The game plan was hopeless, all those wide receiver screens.

They should have reconsidered, kept an extra back for protection, and tried to give peyton some time to find the 15 yarders.

Anyway, with us, he would have gone all the way because we got the D.

Peyton put up 8 points...at the end of the contest! That was not on DEN defensive backfield. Sure they sucked but the greatest offense of all time was rendered useless as was NO aside from 15 points late 4th quarter. That defense shut down 2 I repeat 2 HOF QBs yet they had trouble with Kap in the same postseason. NO defense actually pitched a good ballgame on the road but Brees and co didn't get it done. As for Peyton, he had the luxury of playing SEA in NYC with 2 weeks to prepare yet he stunk up the joint. I think in light of these things we should be excited about our offense and our additions and what another offseason of seasoning can do for it especially as far as Kap is concerned

This x 1000.

I do believe that we have the potential for one of the better offenses in the league if things go well. The OP did correctly point out some of the things going in our favor. We have a VERY complicated offensive system that is chameleon and lends itself to different styles. Now that Roman and Kap have had more time to learn this system, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kap takes a huge step forward this year and we score a lot of points. Of course we will still be a conservative, power run offense. But that doesn't mean we can't score 24+ points a game, which will be more than enough to win most of our games (and, frankly, to have one of the best offenses in the league).

If outperforming two HOF QBs is "horrid", imagine what an "average" performance would look like?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Best In The West
It was the same with Luck. In fact Harbaugh ran more. Aside from this I believe Kap has come a long way from the project we drafted from Nevada that didn't look anywhere near capable of leading an NFL team @NO during the 2011 preseason. And now we have 3 thousand yard WRs so we will see but I think we do try to see where we are passing the ball just a bit more this season. Maybe more of a true 50/50 split

After seeing every game Kap played at Nevada, this is a Bay Area myth. "Kap was nothing until Harbaugh". Kap still holds the records for most yards passing and running in the NCAA (10k/4k). The Bay Area was blind with Luck at Stanford. No one had a clue 200 miles away was quite a good QB. Frankly the QB that seemed to improve the most under Harbaugh was Smith. I don't think its close.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
offense
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Talent yes!
Game planning and play calling NO!

I don't think JH as a killer instinct or doesn't demonstrate it.

WAY too many close games that didn't need to be close relying on FG at the end.

Does anyone think he'd have run the score up like Seattle did against Denver? I certainly don't.

I think he'd try to slow it down and Payton would get his team back in it in the last quarter because of too many 3 & outs.

Just my opinion but we'll see this season if his MO has changed.

Hopefully we'll use this VERY talented team to crush our opponents/

True. We have the most overall offensive talent in NFL. But to be best offense requires good coaching and QB play.

• buck
  • Veteran
How many 49ers players on offense have made the NFL top 100 or the PFF top list?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't know if we got the most talent, but we are stacked up the ass.
  • buck
  • Veteran
These are the 49ers on PFF top 101

I could only find five 49ers on their list--Staley and Boldin were the two offensive players.

24. Patrick Willis
31. NaVorro Bowman
47. Anquan Boldin
54. Joe Staley
65. Aldon Smith

Donte Whitner is on the list, but he is no longer a 49er.

61. Donte Whitner

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/16/the-pff-101-top-to-bottom/

Best wr core can't do much when we only have 1 on the field while we run the same plays over and over
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Best wr core can't do much when we only have 1 on the field while we run the same plays over and over

time to bring Mike Martz back into the fold ...where's J.T ??

I admit, from time to time I yearn for an offense with multiple receivers and a quick strike passing game , "ala Coryell"...but our personal is built for punching in the mouth and a few deep shots here and there ...the best change in philosophy we can hope for is a few more 3 WR sets , I don't expect Jim & greg to drastically change what we do , but as the season goes along I expect a few tweaks to adjust to the talent on the roster , its going to be difficult keeping Crabs, Boldin , Vernon and Stevie off the field, so there will need to be a few tweaks in the offense to accommodate our wealth of receiving options
Share 49ersWebzone