There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Niners

Team looks really good this season! Do you think that the secondary takes a dip with Bethea replacing whitner? or how about the return of culliver taking over for rogers/brown's spot as the corner? The D-line looks good with a healthy Williams back and Carradine, plus the competition with Okoye, Jerod-Eddie, Dial, etc. Kapernick has really good weapons this year and i'm hoping for somewhere around 4,000 yards 35 tds and like 10 interceptions at the most. The offense is going to open up and the backup running backs will be intriguing to watch with Gore entering his last year of his contract.
i think cully over rogers is a huge upgrade and possibly an upgrade over brown, or atleast a push. i think kap has a great year but i think it is our RBs who truly go off this year. we have so much young talent there and we finally have a stable of receivers who make defenses have to respect our passing game and kap's arm. the backs are gonna get huge chunks of yards at a time and im dying to see hyde and lattimore in action. especially hyde, the guy is an animal. having a huge back with some speed is gonna pay off big time, weve been missing a true bulldozer back for a while and hyde actually has great speed for a big dude
19-0
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Only time will tell. On paper we look like a force to be reckoned with but these new guys need to learn our system and learn how to play together and build continuity.
I love & am excited about the talent on our team.
If Kap goes for 3,500ish yds passing with 25+ TDs and 10 or less INTs (along with 400-500 yds rushing, 5 TDs for a total of over 30 scores) I would be ecstatic and that would be opening up the offense for this team.
Originally posted by colinkaepernicks23:
Team looks really good this season! Do you think that the secondary takes a dip with Bethea replacing whitner? or how about the return of culliver taking over for rogers/brown's spot as the corner? The D-line looks good with a healthy Williams back and Carradine, plus the competition with Okoye, Jerod-Eddie, Dial, etc. Kapernick has really good weapons this year and i'm hoping for somewhere around 4,000 yards 35 tds and like 10 interceptions at the most. The offense is going to open up and the backup running backs will be intriguing to watch with Gore entering his last year of his contract.

The secondary looks much better we got rid of "hitner" and his personal fouls and Rogers who was getting burned on a constant basis. We have never had "shutdown" CBs and have been a top 5 D for years. I love the depth on the DL, I'm really excited to see what Tank can do! No way Kap throws for 4,000 yards this year though, we just don't throw the ball that much in this system. I hope to see more 3 WR sets and maybe pass to setup the run? ...should be a fun year of football!
I think we improved either at starter or rotationally at every position on the roster except ILB and that is only because Bow will probably miss half the season and nobody can replace that. We still stashed a little extra depth behind him though so it isn't for lack of trying. CB - we are bigger, younger and more athletic while still adding Bathea as vet leadership to keep things organized and keep the youngins calm and a true slot corner that project to replace Bathea in the future. D-line and OLB we have last years draft plus some new talent to supplement an already fearsome level of talent. I really am excited to see what we have in Tank specifically now that he is healthy

Offensive side of the ball we added a ton of beef to the interior, have a healthy Crabs and added Stevie for right now and have two young talents in the fold for the future. We have what is essentially two brand new first round RB's in the fold and a pro bowl full back returning to full health....plus a legit back up from the draft if we were to lose him again. Plus we added two vets one with early round talent that was never developed and one that is an poor mans replica of our starter should something horrible happen at QB.

I honestly think our F.O had the best offseason in the league....they shored up needs for right now while making value additions for the future and ensuring the window stays open for a long time. Sure you cant win the Superbowl in the offseason...but you damn sure can lose it and we have done as much or more than anybody to stay competite this year and for many more.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on May 30, 2014 at 8:35 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
19-0

23-0
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
19-0

23-0

I actually prefer to lose one or two pre-seasons.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
19-0

23-0

I actually prefer to lose one or two pre-seasons.

21-2
On paper our team is of course stacked and loaded with depth in several positions. I think what we need is for some of the "depth" players to emerge as guys we cannot take off the field (a specific CB, 1 or 2 DL, WR (Patton, or Elington) etc. if we are just rotating in guys and getting average production from everyone, i think we still make playoffs but likely wont have home field.

We need Kaep to really progress this year as well, forcing the D to play back and cover. That opens up the running game AND play action.
A nice blend of veterans and rookies, get ready for another exciting ride.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
No way Kap throws for 4,000 yards this year though, we just don't throw the ball that much in this system.

I disagree. The first 3 games of last season Roman and Harbaugh tried to morph the offense into a pass first. The problem is we had no WR's other than Boldin. I think the offense will still be more balanced than most teams overall, but I expect a pretty significant increase in passing attempts assuming our WR core stays healthy.

On paper the secondary looks strong to me. Brock > Brown, Culliver > Rogers, Reid year 2 > Reid year 1, Bethea >/= Whitner last year
Lots of questions for me on defense. The three newcomers in the secondary are unknowns with regards to how they will fit in with their roles. Bethea is a newcomer. Ward, assuming he wins the nickel CB spot, is new to the league. Cully, after missing a year, is expected to hold down the starting LCB position and is new to being a starter. Who plays next to Willis and can he be adequate? We can't say Bow is an awesome LB, then say his shoes will be easily filled by player X. Will Justin lose a step or just a half step?

There's a lot of potential on defense, but also a lot of questions. Easily more questions on defense than on the offensive side which I expect to step up in production due to the natural progression of Kap, good health to Iupati/Crabs/Patton, and additions of SJohnson, Ellington, and a younger Center.

The good thing about the defense is that the coaches are top notch, referring to Fangio (LBs), Donatell (DBs), and Tomsula (DL). That's like an all-star cast of defensive coaches. So although there are questions, the right men are there to find, or create, the answers.
Originally posted by thl408:
Lots of questions for me on defense.

They start right off with a high-powered Dallas offense, so we should find out a lot very early, but I agree. I actually think Bethea is an improvement over Whitner if only because Bethea doesn't tend to extend drives with penalties and he actually makes more tackles. Up until last year, he was also generally better in coverage than Whitner has been. I don't see how a stud like Ward can be worse than Rodgers was last year in the slot. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he might end up being another improvement.

Wilhoit sure was effective when he stood in for Willis. Culliver is a question mark, but before he did a face plant in the 2012 playoffs, PFF had him as a top 10 corner.