There are 256 users in the forums

Thoughts on why Niners chose to make so many draft picks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
more competition amongst the backups.

This.
I didn't know what the Niners and baalke were going to do in the draft, but I like it.

There were something like 30 additional juniors that came out in this class, so they made deals. Wheeler Dealer Baalke making moves and stockpiling picks and using them as leverage later. LOTS OF COMPETITION at bargain prices.

I thought they were going to draft WR's.....Cody Latimer was right there but they picked up Brandon Lloyd for nothing and traded for Stevie Johnson. THE BEST THING THEY CAN DO FOR COLIN KAEPERNICK IS TO GET VETERAN WIDE OUTS! But they also picked up Bruce Ellington who had almost the same numbers as Alshon Jeffrey while playing basketball as well. He's also a academic all American and I think has two degrees. And he has a monster work ethic second only to Marcus Lattimore. Bruce Ellington can be the type of player that LaMichael James could be for us.

Carlos Hyde.....this pick really surprised me but he must have been highly rated like a 1st round pick probably like the Broncos had Latimer rated. This pick gives the Niners a bruising back, who can block and catch passes easily (I wish the niners would throw more checkdowns). I am still really rooting hard for Lattimore.

The Niners getting value with Martin (Center), Thomas (Guard and Tackle) and Millard (Fullback), the last two will be reshirted and Martin will battle Kilgore at Center and Not to mention getting Jonathan Martin and Ryan Seymour (last year from the Seahawks).

The Cornerback Fiesta.....Jimmy Ward was the sleeper, not just a safety but a nickel back who played, safety, nickel and corner in College. A SAFETY WITH BALL SKILLS!!!!! We have needed a playmaker back there. Remember how many times Carlos Rogers got toasted? I remember him getting toasted in the National Championship game vs the Giants. I think this is an upgrade. I trust the Braintrust with their secondary picks. Three more corners in Dontae Johnson, and Acker and, Keith Reaser (ACL), If we can hit one of these picks we would be good, another two we would be golden.

GAME ON SEAHAWKS!
I didn't know what the Niners and baalke were going to do in the draft, but I like it.

There were something like 30 additional juniors that came out in this class, so they made deals. Wheeler Dealer Baalke making moves and stockpiling picks and using them as leverage later. LOTS OF COMPETITION at bargain prices.

I thought they were going to draft WR's.....Cody Latimer was right there but they picked up Brandon Lloyd for nothing and traded for Stevie Johnson. THE BEST THING THEY CAN DO FOR COLIN KAEPERNICK IS TO GET VETERAN WIDE OUTS! But they also picked up Bruce Ellington who had almost the same numbers as Alshon Jeffrey while playing basketball as well. He's also a academic all American and I think has two degrees. And he has a monster work ethic second only to Marcus Lattimore. Bruce Ellington can be the type of player that LaMichael James could be for us.

Carlos Hyde.....this pick really surprised me but he must have been highly rated like a 1st round pick probably like the Broncos had Latimer rated. This pick gives the Niners a bruising back, who can block and catch passes easily (I wish the niners would throw more checkdowns). I am still really rooting hard for Lattimore.

The Niners getting value with Martin (Center), Thomas (Guard and Tackle) and Millard (Fullback), the last two will be reshirted and Martin will battle Kilgore at Center and Not to mention getting Jonathan Martin and Ryan Seymour (last year from the Seahawks).

The Cornerback Fiesta.....Jimmy Ward was the sleeper, not just a safety but a nickel back who played, safety, nickel and corner in College. A SAFETY WITH BALL SKILLS!!!!! We have needed a playmaker back there. Remember how many times Carlos Rogers got toasted? I remember him getting toasted in the National Championship game vs the Giants. I think this is an upgrade. I trust the Braintrust with their secondary picks. Three more corners in Dontae Johnson, and Acker and, Keith Reaser (ACL), If we can hit one of these picks we would be good, another two we would be golden.

GAME ON SEAHAWKS!
Couldn't find a trade partner. Baalke wanted Odell Beckham, Jr.
To keep the team being successful you can't pay everyone when they reach the end of their rookie contracts. If the staff can judge talent and accumulate draft picks the team stays competitive. I can't see paying big bucks to someone who can be replaced at a fraction of the cost. The 49ers spot their own talent and sign them early to long term deals before they hit the market and save millions. A QB and pass rusher must be paid. Look at the Seahawks, they plugged low round picks and free agents on the OL and won a SB.
Before the draft I said that the prevailing wisdom was to move up in a weak draft before the talent is all gone and to move back in a deep draft to take advantage of the extra value in the later rounds. Every time I used a mock draft site I ended up trading back and acquiring extra picks. Remember the 49ers best draft ever? Walsh traded back out of the 1st round and scored huge in rounds 3 and 4. I believe 1986.

These guys can play. A great nickel CB/S, a potential franchise RB, a top rated Center to add to a great OL. ILB depth for years to come, a top rated guard to redshirt, A gifted slot WR and return man, a couple of CB's and another to redshirt for 2015, a pass rusher in Lynch plus a couple of redshirts in rd 7 that look promising as well.

With our 1st pick in rd 2 we got RB Hyde plus a 4th rd pick in 2015. With our 2nd pick in rd 2 we got C Marcus Martin plus a 5th rd pick (Aaron Lynch). Not bad.

The 49ers did great in this draft.
ladies, herrrrrrrreeee we go again.......

(lemme tell u where i got my body frum...i got it from ma' momma?)

dafuq? thanks obama (& the dallas cowbawws of anaheim...AKA seattle shehoqqqz)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fantastic post esp. the bold! And we're in great financial shape going forward. We'll lose a player like Iupati most likely, maybe Crabtree but we already have replacements in place. As to sustainability, for example, the SeAdderall CheatHawks only have $26.1 remaining to sign the following (bigger named) players next year: Wilson ($18-20M annually?), Avril (4-years, $28M?), Wright, Wagner, Smith, Maxwell, Okung, etc. and that's assuming the cap increases to $140M from $133M this year. The Hawks are going to have to rely heavily on a lot of rookie contributions and no injuries to sustain long-term success thanks to the big-3 contracts.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/177017-seattle-going-have-cap-casualties/page65/#ZSUx47668v8b6Hou.99

The other brilliant thing we've done is develop an internal farm system (some on the PUP/IR and others as developing UDFA's or "role players"); don't forget the grocery-long list of first/second year players that are ready to compete this year alone, as well.

I think your player replacement comments are dead on correct and to speculate a little further, I think with these 4 and 5 year reasonable rookie contracts that we now have with the new CBA it could be that in the future lots of players will get that big payday from some other team while we plug in the next guy still playing on his rookie contract.
there are gems to be found in the later rounds , it feels good to hit a homerun with a 6th or 7th round pick
you should be thinking of this as the replacement draft..

stevie for crabtree in a year
martin, thomas, for boone and/or iupati in a year
hyde for hunter and/or james in a year, gore will be either a backup or have moved on to another team by then unfortunately
ward the free safety of the future in 2 years bethea will be gone

you can't keep everyone. this was the draft to replace the players they deem too expensive to resign. also it gives us great depth that we should be able to with stand most injuries. unlike the crabtree injury last year which hampered the offense so much.
[ Edited by Rizvi49er on May 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM ]

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Seven picks plus two red shirts from this years draft. So it is almost like those are next years picks, right?

Reaser, Millard, Thomas, that is three assuming they don't IR anyone else such as Ramsey.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Couldn't find a trade partner. Baalke wanted Odell Beckham, Jr.

I'm sure they could find a trade partner to get Beckham, the asking price was just likely insane and Baalke alluded to that much. After Buffalo went potato on that trade for Watkins, it was clear that trading up was going to be absurdly expensive and once you got through the first 15 picks or so, the talent basically flattened out so trading up at that point became less enticing.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
you should be thinking of this as the replacement draft..

stevie for crabtree in a year
martin, thomas, for boone and/or iupati in a year
hyde for hunter and/or james in a year, gore will be either a backup or have moved on to another team by then unfortunately
ward the free safety of the future in 2 years bethea will be gone

you can't keep everyone. this was the draft to replace the players they deem too expensive to resign. also it gives us great depth that we should be able to with stand most injuries. unlike the crabtree injury last year which hampered the offense so much.

The cap is such a big part of the game now, that's why I think a lot of the 49er drafts go the way they go. You have to have a short and long term plan for the team, it's no longer enough just to win this season. YOu have to win this season and prepare for two more seasons after this.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm sure they could find a trade partner to get Beckham, the asking price was just likely insane and Baalke alluded to that much. After Buffalo went potato on that trade for Watkins, it was clear that trading up was going to be absurdly expensive and once you got through the first 15 picks or so, the talent basically flattened out so trading up at that point became less enticing.

Would have loved ODB or Mike Evans. Just hope these bottom feeding teams are incompetent enough to give up on these guys quickly like they did with Stevie, and trade them to us. I hear next years draft is even more insanely talented at the WR spot. (Got that from one of the posters at the WebZone Draft boards - who was looking at next years drafts.)
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Seven picks plus two red shirts from this years draft. So it is almost like those are next years picks, right?

Reaser, Millard, Thomas, that is three assuming they don't IR anyone else such as Ramsey.

Add in OT Luke Marquardt as well...he was moved to I.R. instead of being cut. Add him to the All-I.R. Team for 2015!
Share 49ersWebzone