There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thoughts on why Niners chose to make so many draft picks

Originally posted by OldJoe:
These guys that want us to package all kinds of picks for only those who touch the ball. Being pretty set at QB and RB but, a need for WR. So many were talking packaging moving up for a WR.

These fans seem to only watch the ball during games. You NEVER, NEVER hear them wanting us to move-up/package for a OL. Only "ball touchers".

You also have to figure that the salary cap played a huge role in our draft this year. We have some fairly big contracts that will be fazing out of the organization in the next few years (Gore/Justin Smith/ Boldin) and a few of our current stars to re-up if we so choose (Crabtree/Ilupati/Kap) and others that believe they should be better compensated (Boone). We cannot pay them all so some of them will hit the market which we have seen the past few years (Gholdson/Whitner).

So 3 years from now, the time when most people believe drafted players truly hit their stride and can be judged (boom or bust), we should have some new stars that can replace our old stars with cap friendly contracts.

Right now our LB core eats up a lot of cap space, and so does our D-line. Although these units deserve the money, the offensive guys will command the big bucks for the next few years. Kap will be one of the highest paid players in the nfl so it will be hard to keep Kap and our current LB core along with our O-linemen and D-linemen. So loading up on o-linemen and RB's was a great idea because we can only keep these young o-linemen for 3-5 years before they hit the market and RB's get hurt all of the time. Getting some young WR's was great because we will need to keep a fresh rotation of young wide outs as well since we cannot throw money at that position.

All in all, we can always stash a bunch of these guys on IR (Lattimore/Tank) or the practice squad (Boone/Williams) in order to develop them for the future. We have to have guys ready to jump in like Reid did last year without skipping a beat. The best way to do this is with a surplus of young players on the roster.
To me, it's as simple as this; Fielding the most talented roster. Period. We want to have the best possible 53. Drafting bpa regardless of position. So Baalke trades up if he can get a value he thinks is fair at a position of need when that player tops the board, trades down if he thinks the player atop our board can be had later.
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on May 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM ]
It should also be considered, that I don't think anyone expected Beckham to go at #12. It's very possible that we were looking at trade partners to move up, but weren't looking higher than we thought we needed to. Instead of panicking and then moving up to draft the 4th highest rated receiver, we stood pat and got the slot CB we needed, #1 rated HB, #1 rated C - and Stevie Johnson!

So we improved our overall quality of depth, but getting Stevie Johnson for basically free (although "after the fact") is what really made this work.
Interesting post, great answers, of :

---it takes two to tango in a trade

---maybe baalke didn't like the top picks as well as we individually did,

---cap issues now and especially in the future are exceptionally well cared for by baalke/paraag

---maybe we were just one PLAY away, not just one player away.

---maybe baalke/JH felt like they could play the hand they had and didn't need to move up

---the Anquan trade and now the Stevie trade plus ellington later made top and expensive WRs (draft pick wise) unnecessary

---our 1st pick at #30 was Ward, and trent/JH liked Brock and Reid as starters as well as our current #3-6 CB...but fixed that by drafting 3 CBs consecutively(or almost)

---NC's "iron sharpens iron"

I think you all pretty well got all the salient features of a 12 man draft...which I had pegged for a mid #1, our 30th pick and maybe 2 or 3 others in top 2 rds, with a couple picks bumped over to 2015. Unhhh....I was off a bit. I never for one minute thot we would have any picks left after rd 2 or mid 3rd...and 5 guys tops, but really thot it would be 4 only. I was close, no?
The key to this whole philosophy is our coaches. We have coaches capable of turning mediocre players into good players. We take late rounders because they are cheaper, and when its time to replace the veterans, the coaches will have coached them up enough to be able to do it.

Teams with bad coaches can't do that. they have to rely on getting already proven players high in the draft. What a lot of teams don't realize is that if you have a great coaching staff, you save a ton of money.
I wish Baalke woulda traded a 3rd for a 2nd next year or something. We'll basically have 7 picks next year so who knows til they take the field
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I wish Baalke woulda traded a 3rd for a 2nd next year or something. We'll basically have 7 picks next year so who knows til they take the field

Seven picks plus two red shirts from this years draft. So it is almost like those are next years picks, right?
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Seven picks plus two red shirts from this years draft. So it is almost like those are next years picks, right?

We will likely get a 5th comp pick as well for our net loss in FA. Hoping for a 4th.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i wish we would go back to the philosophy before JH came that its better to lose on purpose in order to draft higher
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

If we win the 6th, we probably will be trading down that first rounder anyway for more picks to replace all our free agent losses. Boone is already making noises about his contract. Crabs and Iupati will most likely be gone, superbowl or no superbowl.

This team has done very well with UDFA's so even if we only have 7, we can get talent that we need from the UDFA's. My hope is Korey or Blaine progress and that we can get draft picks for either of them (yeah it's basically a dream, but that would be nice to develop Low round players and UDFA and trade them for higher round picks.)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Just from an entertainment perspective, has there been a more fun/active GM to watch around draft time? Moving up, moving down, acquiring the most picks each year, trading current players for more, acquiring proven vets for free, the value, intrigue, pwning owners on value trades (in the draft and outside), etc. What blows my mind is with his reputation, how is he STILL able to make any moves at all anymore. If I was a GM, and I saw on caller I.D. "Trent Baalke" I'd block that caller every time!

This.

I'd hate to play poker w/him.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
A lot of interesting / good comments already made...

Another thing to remember is we were still a dominant team even with all the injuries (season ending / guys playing hurt) last season. A healthy / solid bench will play a big part when we get deep in the post season.
more competition amongst the backups.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
To keep the window open.

/Thread

This. There's a lot of players that will be walking shortly, either through retirement or free agency.......Baalke was just refilling the cupboard, filling needs for the present and the future.

I can see this now. At the time I wanted us to get 2-3 impact players. Both strats would of been good.