There are 213 users in the forums

The new pass rush.. are you a believer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not that ecited really, nope. It wasn't a priority for us in the draft. Tank will hopefully produce. Lemonhead is a year older, that's a plus. Don't forget how young he was last year. Ian is back -- but Dorsey did real well last year. So I don't see a sea change in production there.

The biggest difference maker will be if Fangio blitzes more. We'll see how it turns out.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
as soon as you mentioned Okoye, your post became invalid. have a nice day.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by crake49:
I think the Lions had a rookie DE last season who had 8 or 9 sacks. It can happen.

I think Lynch is going to end up starting over Raymac by beginning of next year.
Smith is going to be a harder replacement

Do you really think that Lynch will be an DE in the 49er defense?

Has the team indicated that Lynch will play DE and not OLB?

When Lynch played at Notre Dame as a freshman he was DE in there 3-4 and weighed around 275, He was explosive off the snap and had a ton of power. I'd love to see him gain some weight, if he could get back to his freshman days he would be a huge steal!
We passed on anther nd pdoduct tuitt. He was only a junior.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think the Lions had a rookie DE last season who had 8 or 9 sacks. It can happen.

I think Lynch is going to end up starting over Raymac by beginning of next year.

When Lynch played at Notre Dame as a freshman he was DE in there 3-4 and weighed around 275, He was explosive off the snap and had a ton of power. I'd love to see him gain some weight, if he could get back to his freshman days he would be a huge steal!

If that happens, I would not be upset. I just do not see any indication that is what Fangio and Tomsula are planning on doing.

Just think of a pass rush consisting of Aldon, Lemonier, Tank, Justin Smith, and Brooks all on the field at the same time
I hope Tank can get some push as a 3-4 Lineman ..having Tank, Williams and TJE could really keep Ray Mac & Cowboy fresh and productive all season long
Originally posted by NYniner85:

If that happens, I would not be upset. I just do not see any indication that is what Fangio and Tomsula are planning on doing.

From the sounds of it looks like they want him at OLB, man did you see his highlights from Notre Dame ...get him up to 275-280 and let him do his thing!
Sacks are nice, but it's really QB pressures that can disrupt the opponents' offense. What's exciting is the DL...pretty much everyone's healthy. They can create a lot of opportunities for Brooks, Aldon, & Co. Whoever plays NT isn't really part of pressuring the QB. I think Williams will have a tough time ousting Dorsey as the starter. Dial will have a tough time sticking on the roster unless he blows everyone away during camp/preseason. Carradine should make a sizeable impact...might not equate to a lot of sacks, but he should wreak some havoc, nonetheless. Lemonier should be more effective with his rookie season under his belt. With Bowman out, I'd expect to see Fangio turn Willis loose on some ILB blitzes. Collectively, I think you have to be excited about the potential pass rush. More depth, more outside speed are good things.
Lemon and Skuta should be more productive this season, they'll both hit the ground running this season

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Why are we talking about guys like Ian Williams, Quinton Dial, and Tony Jerod Eddie when it comes to pass rush? lol. Those guys are not pass rushers.

Since I'm the one that brought up Ian, I guess I should explain. If he sees the QB dropping back to pass, shouldn't he switch to pass rush mode, as opposed to gap control for run defense? I know he won't get the high sack stats, but he can still generate a pass rush to get penetration and get the QB off his spot, making it easier for the edge rushers. So in that sense, he's a pass rusher and his ability to push the pocket will help the pass rush. I saw him do this in the '13 preseason and that's all I'm able to go off of.

I was going to add that Williams adds something Sopoaga, Franklin and Dorsey do not have...and that is quickness off the ball. Since we utilize A-gap NT's, Williams will have the opportunity to fire off the LOS between gaps and disrupt passing lanes and maybe pick up a few sacks as well. Can he hold the point as well? Probably not but you might see Dorsey in on running downs and Williams inside on some running downs as well but also on obvious passing downs for this reason.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by MarkD:
Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Our defensive front consistently drives the O-line backwards. Look at this gif. Besides the obvious sack, the whole O-line is getting pushed into the QBs face.

Our pass rush is fine. We have other weaknesses we must fix.

Hooray, that's Jonathan Martin he's beating

I f-cking love Aldon
Even here - Brooks is playing contain. Notice his locked out arms so he can play the QB escape either way! superb.

You my man, know what you are talking about re: the SAM and WILL responsibilities. I've been telling everyone 8-9 sacks for a SAM (esp. the more vanilla scheme we've run) is like double that from the WILL position. Plus he lead all with 4.5 in the post season on top of goal line stops and containment on running QB's (and destroying the run on that side as always - plus dropping back in zone coverage). This is the position Lemonier is being groomed to play. Skuta played very well for us re: the pass rush department and got better re: run support. A healthy Williams inside to exploit gaps could be big in filling the steo-up lanes. Lynch and Tank are big question marks as is McDonald's and Justin's continued health...but we have plenty of depyth behind them to keep the pass rushers free! Press CB's may now allow the CB's and S's and ILB's to blitz more as well. We shall see but the depth and skill (and potential) is very deep.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:
Too often do I see guys just listing names on our roster and saying we should be excited. Well we have no idea what most of those guys will do this year. So no.

Okoye, Lynch, Dial, Ian.. I mean, who knows?

What IS exciting is that we may have enough depth to keep guys fresh throughout the year. That will BE HUGE.

I'm really interested in seeing how Okoye and Lynch do. They are young players that have a high upside, but right now their floor is below the floors of a lot of their teammates they are competing with. Lynch looked beastly against Notre Dame, and with a new strength and conditioning coach, I think they potentially have gem here. Okoye is against some stiff competition but he's built like Adonis and has freakish Kaepernick like rare abilities that might translate in his 2nd year. Man o Man I can't wait to see these guys in pre-season.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'm really interested in seeing how Okoye and Lynch do. They are young players that have a high upside, but right now their floor is below the floors of a lot of their teammates they are competing with. Lynch looked beastly against Notre Dame, and with a new strength and conditioning coach, I think they potentially have gem here. Okoye is against some stiff competition but he's built like Adonis and has freakish Kaepernick like rare abilities that might translate in his 2nd year. Man o Man I can't wait to see these guys in pre-season.

"Lawrence Okoye chased downDarryl Morris during a kick return period. Okoye was lined up as a gunner had received several "oohs" from teammates after chasing down the speedy cornerback along the sideline."

"Okoye, who wore No. 78 last year, is wearing Parys Haralson's former number – 98 – this year."

He's trying hard to land a spot on the 53...
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Giedi:

"Lawrence Okoye chased downDarryl Morris during a kick return period. Okoye was lined up as a gunner had received several "oohs" from teammates after chasing down the speedy cornerback along the sideline."

"Okoye, who wore No. 78 last year, is wearing Parys Haralson's former number – 98 – this year."

He's trying hard to land a spot on the 53...

Darryl morris is sooooo fast too... This is insane
Share 49ersWebzone