There are 161 users in the forums

The new pass rush.. are you a believer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Do you really think that Lynch will be an DE in the 49er defense?

Has the team indicated that Lynch will play DE and not OLB?

No. Hell no.
Absolutely not a believer if Aldon is out. Brooks is an above average pass rusher at best, Lemon is a question mark. Lynch is an unknown. Skuta is actually underrated, and will be interesting to watch
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
Absolutely not a believer if Aldon is out. Brooks is an above average pass rusher at best, Lemon is a question mark. Lynch is an unknown. Skuta is actually underrated, and will be interesting to watch

disagree 100 per cent,, brooks is not "above average",, he is very very good, the lemon man was very good in a small body of work and there is no reason not to think he will be better, I will agree with you with skuta. for those reasons, we can withstand aldon being gone for a time just like we did last year, whatever we get from the kids will be gravy
Too often do I see guys just listing names on our roster and saying we should be excited. Well we have no idea what most of those guys will do this year. So no.

Okoye, Lynch, Dial, Ian.. I mean, who knows?

What IS exciting is that we may have enough depth to keep guys fresh throughout the year. That will BE HUGE.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Our defensive front consistently drives the O-line backwards. Look at this gif. Besides the obvious sack, the whole O-line is getting pushed into the QBs face.

Our pass rush is fine. We have other weaknesses we must fix.

Hooray, that's Jonathan Martin he's beating
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by swayze:

Our defensive front consistently drives the O-line backwards. Look at this gif. Besides the obvious sack, the whole O-line is getting pushed into the QBs face.

I f-cking love Aldon
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'm excited about the defense as a whole because I believe we're going to be a more aggressive team on both sides of the ball this year. I have a theory that we've employed the bend-don't break philosophy because we didn't have the DBS to really send the heat and rely on them and I think that's over. Ward IMO is going to be a huge upgrade at the nickle & Bethea is going to be much better than Whitner in coverage, excited about Culliver & Johnson at CB also. The better DB along with the depth upfront, I think we'll see a lot more blitzes employed & a nearly unstoppable pashrush

I really hope we are more aggressive on both sides of the ball this season! We have all the talent there, now let the boys go play aggressive football!
Brooks sack numbers are a function of the defensive scheme. So the fact that he is getting 8-9 sacks is pretty darn good. As the Right side rusher, he is asked to contain more than the Left outside rusher. The premise is that Right handed QBs favor escaping right, so with left side pressure, the Right side rusher has to set a high rush and contain so the QB is forced to escape low and inside rather than rolling out free. Brooks does an OUTSTANDING job of playing his rushing assignment.

Note that you rarely see Brooks stunt inside like you seen Aldon and Smith do. That is because when a QB escapes left, he is far more likely to float back from the line of scrimmage because his throwing motion (arm to the inside of the formation) requires more space from defenders. And in general, QBs running left are moving slower do to this awkward throwing motion. Thus, the left DE stunt to the outside has more success containing and disrupting the throw.

On the occasions where Brooks is allowed to use and underneath rush move, he is devastating. In those cases, either the S or ILB is taking contain responsibility on the right side (often a Bowman highlight as he comes blazing in to pursue the QB! ).

Successful outside rushers are usually highly skilled with the technical side, hand placement, swims, leverage, hip sinks, etc. Pro tackles are usually so good, without the technical refinements, most college rushers are mediocre in the pros at best. That is why rookies are so quiet.

Aldon Smith is the exception, his long arms and surprising power (from a thin frame) allowed him to succeed even as he improved his technique during his rookie season. He should have been unstoppable last year, but he missed too much time in rehab. depressing.
Originally posted by MarkD:

I f-cking love Aldon
Even here - Brooks is playing contain. Notice his locked out arms so he can play the QB escape either way! superb.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by MarkD:

I f-cking love Aldon
Even here - Brooks is playing contain. Notice his locked out arms so he can play the QB escape either way! superb.

Yeah i liked ur post above. I was thinkng the same thing. In this gif brooks is doing his job so aldon could do his. Same with ray mac and justin. Tannehill had no where to go and not many guys can block aldon one on one much less a pooh butt like martin.

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Lemonier needs to make huge improvements from last year. He wasn't bad. But he need to translate QB Hurries into QB sacks.

Agree AND his pressures were impressive and are very important.

IMO, Experience is the best teacher and I feel Aldon will get a 6-8 game suspension. If so then Lemoniere will get more experience and improve significantly.

Baalke has put together a VERY solid DLine w/ excellent starters and quality backups AND future additions.

For some reason I feel many do not see how much Dorsey contributed last season - this year I feel he's going to breakout for us.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on May 27, 2014 at 9:55 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

That's when all the "bullying" occured... Aldon started it
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
I see huge potential with the new guys coming in this year and guys returning from injury. Carradine and Lynch both have huge ceilings. Add that to the mix of the Smith's, Ian,Dial, Dorsey,Lemonaire ,Brooks,and perhaps Okoye and I think we have reason to be excited . Seems like a whole lot of depth. We will be able to sub to keep guys fresh and find favorable matchups vs any team we face..really think one of these guys will break out big.

I'm excited for Tank Carradine and Ian Williams.
Originally posted by Clarity:
I'm excited for Tank Carradine and Ian Williams.

Yeah if Williams wins back his starting job from Dorsey I feel it will mean great things for the middle.

I was just about to ask....
Share 49ersWebzone