There are 256 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The new pass rush.. are you a believer?

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
In complete "wait and see" mode about the pass rush. There are three levels to this issue IMO:

Sure things:
Ahmad Brooks - he's not dead or forgotten
Aldon Smith - pending a suspension

Relatively sure things:
RayMac - health and age
Cowboy - age
Lemonier - showed well when he had the chance
Bowman - when healthy, one of the best blitzers in the game
Skuta - did OK when Aldon was out
Dorsey - not bad, but not great as rotational pass rusher

Question marks:
Tank Carradine - how good will he be now that he's bulked up to 295 lbs.
Aaron Lynch - can he get his head on straight?
Ian Williams - can he push the pocket when healthy

How this all turns out, I have no idea.

Good summary. TJE seemed to have an impact. Somebody on the team said Ian Williams was an upgrade over Soapoaga early on last year.

Just happy that we still have Tomsula!
Why are we talking about guys like Ian Williams, Quinton Dial, and Tony Jerod Eddie when it comes to pass rush? lol. Those guys are not pass rushers.
I'm excited about the defense as a whole because I believe we're going to be a more aggressive team on both sides of the ball this year. I have a theory that we've employed the bend-don't break philosophy because we didn't have the DBS to really send the heat and rely on them and I think that's over. Ward IMO is going to be a huge upgrade at the nickle & Bethea is going to be much better than Whitner in coverage, excited about Culliver & Johnson at CB also. The better DB along with the depth upfront, I think we'll see a lot more blitzes employed & a nearly unstoppable pashrush
  • thl408
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Why are we talking about guys like Ian Williams, Quinton Dial, and Tony Jerod Eddie when it comes to pass rush? lol. Those guys are not pass rushers.

Since I'm the one that brought up Ian, I guess I should explain. If he sees the QB dropping back to pass, shouldn't he switch to pass rush mode, as opposed to gap control for run defense? I know he won't get the high sack stats, but he can still generate a pass rush to get penetration and get the QB off his spot, making it easier for the edge rushers. So in that sense, he's a pass rusher and his ability to push the pocket will help the pass rush. I saw him do this in the '13 preseason and that's all I'm able to go off of.

You ever see this mother f**ker play???? Hell yeah I believe in it....
Originally posted by WINiner:
Lynch is listed as a LB and been given a LB #. I know it's early, but it seems like the team intends to play him outside.

Should check my info before I post.
He can play both, but I think his talent lies in the LB position.
I assumed we were going to bulk him up and throw him on the line, I remember seeing that his weight can fluctuate up to about 280.

He does have some great ball skills compared to guys his size, thanks for the info
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by crake49:
I think the Lions had a rookie DE last season who had 8 or 9 sacks. It can happen.

I think Lynch is going to end up starting over Raymac by beginning of next year.
Smith is going to be a harder replacement

Do you really think that Lynch will be an DE in the 49er defense?

Has the team indicated that Lynch will play DE and not OLB?
Lemonier needs to make huge improvements from last year. He wasn't bad. But he need to translate QB Hurries into QB sacks.
Lynch will be lucky if he makes the practice squad.

Our defensive front consistently drives the O-line backwards. Look at this gif. Besides the obvious sack, the whole O-line is getting pushed into the QBs face.

Our pass rush is fine. We have other weaknesses we must fix.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Should check my info before I post.
He can play both, but I think his talent lies in the LB position.
I assumed we were going to bulk him up and throw him on the line, I remember seeing that his weight can fluctuate up to about 280.

He does have some great ball skills compared to guys his size, thanks for the info

I would hesitate before saying that he can play 3-4 defensive end.

If Lynch is going to a 3-4 defensive end, he will have to get his weight up and keep it there.
[ Edited by buck on May 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Since I'm the one that brought up Ian, I guess I should explain. If he sees the QB dropping back to pass, shouldn't he switch to pass rush mode, as opposed to gap control for run defense? I know he won't get the high sack stats, but he can still generate a pass rush to get penetration and get the QB off his spot, making it easier for the edge rushers. So in that sense, he's a pass rusher and his ability to push the pocket will help the pass rush. I saw him do this in the '13 preseason and that's all I'm able to go off of.

If the Ian Williams or Glen Dorsey can push the pocket and thus hinder the ability of the QB to step up in pocket, it will help the pass rush.

Lemonier is going to break out in year 2, book it.