LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

2014 Training Camp Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Brock and Cully >>>>>>> Brown and Rogers. Which is why it's funny to me that so many in the media think the secondary will regress so much. On paper the secondary looks superior to last year. Brown was good, but imo Culliver was better in 2012 and should hopefully be even better this year. Brock is light years better than Rogers.
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM ]
would be awesome if our dbs shocked everyone and became a strength of our team
Originally posted by Disp:
Brock and Cully >>>>>>> Brown and Rogers. Which is why it's funny to me that so many in the media think the secondary will regress so much. On paper the secondary looks superior to last year.

They aren't "names." They are "play makers." They'll be names soon...

Where did Rogers and Brown end up very late in the FA market? The Raiders. Where did Whitner go? The Browns. Enough said!

PS: Brown had already lost his job to Brock and let's be honest, Rogers' should have lost his job to Cox. Fatal mistake by the FO.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by susweel:
Brock and cully starting ?

Can't wait!

so you think it will be an upgrade in your opinion ?
Fangio reload the secondary. More youthful. Hungry. I like it.

As to the slight inexperience of the crew, I think Donatell can handle that.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Is Cox gonna make this team?

CB:
T-Brock
Cully
Cook
Cox
Morris
Johnson

SS:
Bethea
Ward (NB)
Ventrone

FS:
Reid
Spillman

If they take 6 CBs no way Ventrone makes the sqd.

There are three nickle backs in that list. One won't make it. I'll say Morris. Cox just knows the system too well and showed up in big games. But then again, I'm biased as f**k.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Fangio reload the secondary. More youthful. Hungry. I like it.

As to the slight inexperience of the crew, I think Donatell can handle that.

Baalke drafts and signs players, not fangio
Brock and cully starting ?

Can't wait!

so you think it will be an upgrade in your opinion ?

Big time esp. in the TO category. Rogers and Brown hadn't had an INT in 10 years. Brock had more in 8 games than these two combined over two years.
Good news on Ward's development and others like Patton...he's got moves within moves.

You may have noticed while watching Jimmie Ward's first interception in his first training camp practice. He's not the biggest. And he's not the fastest.

After his pick of Colin Kaepernick, however, San Francisco 49ers first-round draft was safe in saying that he can keep up with his new teammates in his new environs.

"It was pretty fast, but just the big guys got faster," Ward, listed at 5 feet, 10 inches and 193 pounds, said of the session's pace. "I'm the same speed as a lot of the skill guys out there."

Thursday was our first look at the defensive back. But as Jim Harbaugh revealed, there were some "very good positives" for Ward in two padded practices with fellow rookies and rehabbing players in the lead-up to camp.

Ward, who missed team drills during previous offseason workouts because of a foot injury, told reporters that veteran Stevie Johnson, who has "quick feet, quick hands," beat him on multiple plays in those private sessions.

He also admitted to having a hard time blanketing both Quinton Patton, who forced him into a somersault on one route, and Anquan Boldin during Thursday's practice.

"I think Quinton Patton does that on purpose to get in front of a guy and make him trip up," Ward said. "It was my first time going against him one on one, so a hard lesson learned."

And Boldin?

"I went up against him twice. He put a swim-move on me. He put his strength on display. I know how to play him (Friday)."

Ward said he was confident that the team's pass-catching options, which also feature wideout Michael Crabtree and tight end Vernon Davis, would make him and his fellow defensive secondary 'mates better in the long run.

We say defensive secondary, because Ward is learning two different positions during these camp sessions. He was lined up as the nickel cornerback when he created his turnover, and he's also trying to pick up the safety spot behind starters Eric Reid and Antoine Bethea.

"I do the cornerback drills because they help my footwork better, making everything precise and tight," said Ward, who worked with both position groups at Northern Illinoise University. "It helps me to play tight ends and receivers.

"Until we get the pads on, then we'll see. I think that's when the coaches will find out what position I'm better at."

Generating more turnovers in practice could increase his role the way that Tramaine Brock did as a replacement starter last year before earning a full-time gig and a new contract.

"If I keep making plays like that," he said of his interception, "I'll be seen hopefully and get some playing time.

"I couldn't participate in the OTAs, so I was trying to be a sponge and take in all the information. Finally, getting to come out here, I am trying to prove myself."
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Legion of Boom? Please..

Here comes the "Brass Knuckles" lol

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Legion of Boom? Please..

We need an intimidating crew name for the secondary...
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Legion of Boom? Please..

or the "no sweet stuff"
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 1m
Chris Culliver and Tramaine Brock right now are starting CBs, #49ers DC Vic Fangio said. But there will be competition.

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 31s
Justin Smith didn't get rest as part of planned rotation, he came off field more than ever because of shoulder injury, Fangio said.

[ Edited by crabman82 on Jul 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM ]
Good news on Ward's development and others like Patton...he's got moves within moves.

You may have noticed while watching Jimmie Ward's first interception in his first training camp practice. He's not the biggest. And he's not the fastest.

After his pick of Colin Kaepernick, however, San Francisco 49ers first-round draft was safe in saying that he can keep up with his new teammates in his new environs.

"It was pretty fast, but just the big guys got faster," Ward, listed at 5 feet, 10 inches and 193 pounds, said of the session's pace. "I'm the same speed as a lot of the skill guys out there."

Thursday was our first look at the defensive back. But as Jim Harbaugh revealed, there were some "very good positives" for Ward in two padded practices with fellow rookies and rehabbing players in the lead-up to camp.

Ward, who missed team drills during previous offseason workouts because of a foot injury, told reporters that veteran Stevie Johnson, who has "quick feet, quick hands," beat him on multiple plays in those private sessions.

He also admitted to having a hard time blanketing both Quinton Patton, who forced him into a somersault on one route, and Anquan Boldin during Thursday's practice.

"I think Quinton Patton does that on purpose to get in front of a guy and make him trip up," Ward said. "It was my first time going against him one on one, so a hard lesson learned."

And Boldin?

"I went up against him twice. He put a swim-move on me. He put his strength on display. I know how to play him (Friday)."

Ward said he was confident that the team's pass-catching options, which also feature wideout Michael Crabtree and tight end Vernon Davis, would make him and his fellow defensive secondary 'mates better in the long run.

We say defensive secondary, because Ward is learning two different positions during these camp sessions. He was lined up as the nickel cornerback when he created his turnover, and he's also trying to pick up the safety spot behind starters Eric Reid and Antoine Bethea.

"I do the cornerback drills because they help my footwork better, making everything precise and tight," said Ward, who worked with both position groups at Northern Illinoise University. "It helps me to play tight ends and receivers.

"Until we get the pads on, then we'll see. I think that's when the coaches will find out what position I'm better at."

Generating more turnovers in practice could increase his role the way that Tramaine Brock did as a replacement starter last year before earning a full-time gig and a new contract.

"If I keep making plays like that," he said of his interception, "I'll be seen hopefully and get some playing time.

"I couldn't participate in the OTAs, so I was trying to be a sponge and take in all the information. Finally, getting to come out here, I am trying to prove myself."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Jimmie-Ward-Welcomes-Challenge-of-Facing-49ers-Wideouts/dee750ba-c287-48ed-9cad-388cf203dc10

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/day-1-ward-intercepts-pass-third-play-49ers-practice

Not sure if this was posted. 1st link is the interception 2nd link is the live interview you posted
Originally posted by Disp:
Brock and Cully >>>>>>> Brown and Rogers. Which is why it's funny to me that so many in the media think the secondary will regress so much. On paper the secondary looks superior to last year. Brown was good, but imo Culliver was better in 2012 and should hopefully be even better this year. Brock is light years better than Rogers.

I understand some of the concerns - it's a relatively young group, with some new faces and they'll need time to really gel a gain chemistry as a unit. However, I think many are underestimating the infusion of youth and athleticism this group brings. You have to be excited about the ball skills and playmaking ability they bring as well.

I appreciate the services of Brown and Rogers but their impact has really gotten overrated by media and opposing fans alike. You'd think Rogers was in 2011 form his entire 3 seasons here the way I've heard people talk about him when in reality, he's regressed every year since he got paid and has basically been a very expensive shell of his '11 form his last two seasons here.

Brown was solid but replaceable...he turns 30 next year and no way this team was going to get themselves in another Rogers situation and overpay him. Team liked Culliver's youth and potential more.

This new secondary has more upside and versatility. I think they will surprise some people.
Share 49ersWebzone