LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

2014 Training Camp Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Still pisses me off that Cox didn't start in the NFCCG. He balled out at Green Bay and Carolina and Harbs benches him. He seems really solid and knowledgeable in camp. He seems to be a really nice dude too.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Still pisses me off that Cox didn't start in the NFCCG. He balled out at Green Bay and Carolina and Harbs benches him. He seems really solid and knowledgeable in camp. He seems to be a really nice dude too.

Agreed, we've made a lot of questionable personnel decisions and enough is enough...it's cost us many games. We can't deny that after 3 years.
When do they play with pads?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
When do they play with pads?

When will then be now?

SOON!!!!!
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I told everyone from day 1 this could be a VERY dynamic secondary with a ton of depth and they can all play physical press AND our off coverage schemes. The only question is how quickly they will come together as a team/unit/communication. Reid, Brock, Culliver, Cox, Morris all have plenty of experience in our system...they can just "play." Bethea, Cook and Johnson/Acker will have to pick up the scheme as quickly as possible. As proof, Bethea is already slated to be calling the assignments/alignments (not Reid).

I think so too. Brock and Culliver are very good starters, and I have a lot of confidence in Morris/Ward/Cox. I think our secondary is gonna be the strongest it's been since 2011. Maybe even better since we've got some serious ballhawks back there in Brock, Reid, and Ward.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by DeUh:
1st. Day Recap

1. Chris Culliver

- @TaylorPrice49 Follow Chris Culliver lined up with first-team defense and looked solid. You could say @Cullyinthehouse at Day 1 of #49ersCamp.
- @Ninersnation Chris Cook handled first team cornerback work opposite Tramaine Brock during minicamp team drills, but that appears to have been primarily because Culliver was finishing up his rehab. Culliver was cleared to practice in training camp, and he appears to be right back out there.

2. Jimmie Ward

- @timkawakami Follow 49ers are still practicing, but definitely impressed by Jimmie Ward. Very, very active and can tell he'll be lively when they put on pads.
- @MattBarrowsThe best way to describe Ward: rangy. He's got long arms and is quick in and out of his breaks, which is ideal for the nickel spot.

3. Nickel Back Depth Chart

- @Ninersnation 1) Perrish Cox; 2) Jimmie Ward; 3) Darryl Morris

4. Other News
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/day-1-ward-intercepts-pass-third-play-49ers-practice
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/24/6581298/49ers-training-camp-day-1-ward.html
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/24/5935261/49ers-training-camp-practice-recap-day-1-depth-chart-jimmie-ward-and

5. Pictures
http://www.49ers.com/photos/photo-gallery/First-Training-Camp-Practice-of-2014/ea23ae44-e8e5-4603-aca1-b1d3b341b7a4

That description of Ward has me pumped. That's how he looks when I watch his highlights .

Is Cox gonna make this team?

CB:
T-Brock
Cully
Cook
Cox
Morris
Johnson

SS:
Bethea
Ward (NB)
Ventrone

FS:
Reid
Spillman

If they take 6 CBs no way Ventrone makes the sqd.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I was about to say Cox definitely makes it over Cook, but slot corner is actually pretty deep with Cox/Ward/Morris, so I don't know. I do think Cox makes the team though. He was solid when he got his opportunities last year.
Originally posted by Disp:
I told everyone from day 1 this could be a VERY dynamic secondary with a ton of depth and they can all play physical press AND our off coverage schemes. The only question is how quickly they will come together as a team/unit/communication. Reid, Brock, Culliver, Cox, Morris all have plenty of experience in our system...they can just "play." Bethea, Cook and Johnson/Acker will have to pick up the scheme as quickly as possible. As proof, Bethea is already slated to be calling the assignments/alignments (not Reid).

I think so too. Brock and Culliver are very good starters, and I have a lot of confidence in Morris/Ward/Cox. I think our secondary is gonna be the strongest it's been since 2011. Maybe even better since we've got some serious ballhawks back there in Brock, Reid, and Ward.

That was the missing element, the past two years. And that's the biggest strength of this current group IMHO...they not only can play disciplined b/c they know our scheme but they flat out make plays on the ball. As a result, I think we'll get back to seeing a very large TO differential again and better field position.

obviously harbs is the HC and the fall guy when something goes like this, but i'm pretty certain he left it up to fangio, not that it makes it any easier, but i'd blame him.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
1st. Day Recap

1. Chris Culliver

- @TaylorPrice49 Follow Chris Culliver lined up with first-team defense and looked solid. You could say @Cullyinthehouse at Day 1 of #49ersCamp.
- @Ninersnation Chris Cook handled first team cornerback work opposite Tramaine Brock during minicamp team drills, but that appears to have been primarily because Culliver was finishing up his rehab. Culliver was cleared to practice in training camp, and he appears to be right back out there.

2. Jimmie Ward

- @timkawakami Follow 49ers are still practicing, but definitely impressed by Jimmie Ward. Very, very active and can tell he'll be lively when they put on pads.
- @MattBarrowsThe best way to describe Ward: rangy. He's got long arms and is quick in and out of his breaks, which is ideal for the nickel spot.

4. Other News
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/day-1-ward-intercepts-pass-third-play-49ers-practice
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/24/5935261/49ers-training-camp-practice-recap-day-1-depth-chart-jimmie-ward-and

5. Pictures
http://www.49ers.com/photos/photo-gallery/First-Training-Camp-Practice-of-2014/ea23ae44-e8e5-4603-aca1-b1d3b341b7a4

That description of Ward has me pumped. That's how he looks when I watch his highlights .

Is Cox gonna make this team?

CB:
T-Brock
Cully
Cook
Cox
Morris
Johnson

SS:
Bethea
Ward (NB)
Ventrone

FS:
Reid
Spillman

If they take 6 CBs no way Ventrone makes the sqd.

Remember, we play the nickle/dime a ton...60% roughly and maybe more d/t the evolution of the passing game AND there are always injuries.

I have:

CB (7)
Tramaine Brock (#1)
Chris Culliver (#2)
Jimmie Ward (#3 Nickle/Dime/Slot/FS)
Perrish Cox (#4 Nickle/Dime)(Backs up Brock)
Chris Cook (#5 Nickle/Dime)(Backs up Culliver)
Darryl Morris (#1 Slot & KR)
Dontae Johnson (Backs up both Brock/Culliver)

Rationale: Eric Wright retiring hurts the depth/experience here but he was barely being mentioned anyhow. The good news is we're getting younger, faster, taller, more athletic and certainly more aggressive/physical. We carried 10 DB's in the NFCCG. Here, we carry 11 total d/t the growth of Johnson and Baalke learning from letting Cooper go last year to the Chiefs. Baalke/Donatell/Fangio appear to want to play much more press with a single-high safety (Reid) and keep Bethea in and around the box in run support. We can expect both press and off-coverage with Brock and Culliver while being backed up by Cook and Johnson. Morris pushes Ward hard for the slot-role but also takes on kick-off returns next to Ellington and/or he remains one of our best gunners on the ST coverage units.

S (4)
Eric Reid (FS)
Antoine Bethea (SS)
CJ Spillman
Raymond Ventrone

Rationale: No surprises here. The outside shot here is L.J. McCray d/t his P/KR abilities. He can also play the nickle ala Ward. He has the license to beat out either Spillman or Ventrone who are top-notch ST (only) players. Dahl should be cut as he's a solid ST player and below-average backup S and counts $1,283,333 against the cap.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/178494-pre-camp-53-roster-prediction/page7/#lE0xjhFBpcFSjbLL.99

• Giedi
  • Veteran
1st. Day Recap

1. Chris Culliver

2. Jimmie Ward

4. Other News

5. Pictures

Isn't this great news? Culliver already looks solid and Cook tipped a ball for an INT and overpowering smaller but quick/fast WR's like Wiley (?) on the edge which is important given the Hawk's personnel (shut 'em down!). It's pretty sweet when you consider Morris is running with the 3's and he's had the best OTA between he and Cox. And now if Ward takes the spot running imagine the depth at JUST the slot position! Happy to hear the big committment and hunger by Brock as well and it sounds like we also have keepers in Johnson and perhaps Acker as well (maybe even DJ Campbell and LJ McCray for ST and real depth at S). Ward is going to turn out to be a GREAT pick/fit!

Yes !

Two other noteworthy news.

1. Vance McDonald

- @49erspressdemocrat Didn't drop one pass today. He also made the catch of the day, reaching up and snagging a pass between two defenders near the sideline.

2. Stevie Johnson

- @bayareasportsguy He ran precise routes and made several catches that showed his hand strength.
- Jimmie Ward about Stevie Johnson: "I noticed he's got really quick feet. He's got quick hands, his hands are really good."

Cool side story
@sfo.scout.com At one point during individual drills, Crabtree beat Ward pretty badly on a curl route. Afterwards Ward went over and spoke to Cox about technique. Minutes later, Ward was covering the shifty Johnson, who tried to beat him with a series of moves before breaking to the inside on a slant. Ward made a great play on the ball without interfering with Johnson and broke up the pass. He went off to the sideline and received a high-five from Cox.

McDonald is going to be a beast now that he's developed his pass catching timing with CK and it's already evident. Now he doesn't need to "think." If we use him in the soft zones and get him out in space like the underneath routes against the Hawks, he is going to be a beast. We just need to use him more than x1 a game (if that). Johnson has some of the quickest short-area quickness I've seen since a healthy Mario Manningham. That skill set is what made Jerry Rice the GOAT. The other WR's should take notice!

I like what you are saying! Great observations!
Originally posted by crabman82:

obviously harbs is the HC and the fall guy when something goes like this, but i'm pretty certain he left it up to fangio, not that it makes it any easier, but i'd blame him.

I think this is fair. No doubt Fangio has a STRONG propensity to start veterans. It took us years just to get subs in for Justin Smith and constant media questions to boot.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I like what you are saying! Great observations!

I like what I'm hearing!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Brock and cully starting ?
Originally posted by susweel:
Brock and cully starting ?

Can't wait!
Share 49ersWebzone