LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

2014 Training Camp Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
That's why I pay no attention to national media commentary. Their knowledge of the team is extremely shallow.

Very true. Most of it is East Coast Bias. Remember last year when the 'experts' were saying there was no way we made it back to the playoffs after losing the SB?

Yup. They're in the business of creating headlines to keep the more casual viewers/readers. There is very football analysis involved.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Wasn't sure where to put this. Seems as good a place as any.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/08/nfc-west-offseason-podcast

There are some ridiculously pessimistic takes on our chances for 2014 in the Podcast . .

"If the Niners drop to .500 this year it wouldn't surprise me," Farrar says, "because in a lot of those key positions you're relying on guys over 30 to stay healthy all year, like a Justin Smith. ... I'm not saying they're going to win five games or anything in an Atlanta Falcons-style dropoff, but I think there are reasons for Niners fans to be concerned."

He also thinks we've had three bad drafts in a row, including 2011 due to the "uncertainty" surrounding Smith and Culliver . . . and basically dissed the 2013 draft because we only got one starter in Eric Reid.

Keys guys over 30 and he gives one example.

2012 was a horrible draft. But the other three, if players pan out will set us up for years to come.

Yup. In the podcast he mentioned Boldin and RayMac as "old" players . . . which Boldin is for sure, but the dude produces and will continue to produce. McDonald will be 30 in September, but he's got plenty of juice. It doesn't seem like they put much thought into this.
Not sure if posted--

27. 49ers - 2014 Projection: 56% pass (2013: 53%)

The 49ers have been amongst the league's run-heavy teams each of the three years Jim Harbaugh has been in charge. The club's offensive philosophy has revolved around the run, but only at a rate a few percentage points below league average. Domination on the scoreboard thanks to an elite defense has been the main factor in why the 49ers have run the ball so often. Had the 49ers gone 24-24 instead of 36-11-1 the past three years, we would've seen a pass/run rate closer to 59 percent, rather than the 54 percent mark they actually put up. Offseason reports, coupled with the aging of Frank Gore and acquisition of Stevie Johnson, suggest the 49ers will work the pass into the gameplan more often this season. Of course, the defense is still very good and the team has a nice stable of tailbacks. Expect slightly more passing in 2014.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47694/260/2014-passrun-rate-projections?pg=2
The Ravens announced today that they'll have a third open practice, this one with the San Francisco 49ers on Friday, Aug. 8 at M&T Bank Stadium, a day after the two teams play in their first preseason game.

The practice, which will begin at 1 p.m., is free and open to the public. It's part of four days of joint practices between the two teams. The other three will be at the team's Owings Mills practice facility.

There will also be open practices at M&T Bank Stadium on Monday, July 28, a session that will include post-practice autograph sessions for kids and a fireworks/laser show. The Ravens will also practice at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis on Monday, Aug. 4.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens49ers-aug8-practice-open-to-public-20140708,0,1946721.story#ixzz36vuekEY1
So ready for it to be here!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
So ready for it to be here!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Not sure if posted--

27. 49ers - 2014 Projection: 56% pass (2013: 53%)

The 49ers have been amongst the league's run-heavy teams each of the three years Jim Harbaugh has been in charge. The club's offensive philosophy has revolved around the run, but only at a rate a few percentage points below league average. Domination on the scoreboard thanks to an elite defense has been the main factor in why the 49ers have run the ball so often. Had the 49ers gone 24-24 instead of 36-11-1 the past three years, we would've seen a pass/run rate closer to 59 percent, rather than the 54 percent mark they actually put up. Offseason reports, coupled with the aging of Frank Gore and acquisition of Stevie Johnson, suggest the 49ers will work the pass into the gameplan more often this season. Of course, the defense is still very good and the team has a nice stable of tailbacks. Expect slightly more passing in 2014.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/47694/260/2014-passrun-rate-projections?pg=2

Defense wins championships so I hope our defense continues to be strong. That means more running though, despite Stevie, Crab's and Anquan being the top 3 WR's. Because with a high powered offense and a great defense, we should be ahead by halftime and will be running a lot in the 2nd half to kill the clock.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
7 days
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SportsFan:

There are some ridiculously pessimistic takes on our chances for 2014 in the Podcast . .

"If the Niners drop to .500 this year it wouldn't surprise me," Farrar says, "because in a lot of those key positions you're relying on guys over 30 to stay healthy all year, like a Justin Smith. ... I'm not saying they're going to win five games or anything in an Atlanta Falcons-style dropoff, but I think there are reasons for Niners fans to be concerned."

He also thinks we've had three bad drafts in a row, including 2011 due to the "uncertainty" surrounding Smith and Culliver . . . and basically dissed the 2013 draft because we only got one starter in Eric Reid.

Keys guys over 30 and he gives one example.

2012 was a horrible draft. But the other three, if players pan out will set us up for years to come.

That's why I pay no attention to national media commentary. Their knowledge of the team is extremely shallow.

Justin Smith is the driving force of the defense. If he falls off the entire unit is in search of a new identify with a new backfield. I'm hopeful about our D, but I'm not betting on the backfield being an upgrade, Ray McDonald staying healthy, Justin Smith not falling off, Tank Carradine performing at even 75% of the level of premier Justin Smith, and T-Rex, Skov, or any other backup filling in for Bowman.

Also Aldon Smith's pending suspension.

This year is going to be a straight up battle. Also. *knock on wood* for injuries.

LOL what a dumbass

They have been saying after our 1st year with Harbaugh we are due for a disappointing season. Maybe if these geniuses keep predicting it until 2022 it might come true

Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Justin Smith is the driving force of the defense. If he falls off the entire unit is in search of a new identify with a new backfield. I'm hopeful about our D, but I'm not betting on the backfield being an upgrade, Ray McDonald staying healthy, Justin Smith not falling off, Tank Carradine performing at even 75% of the level of premier Justin Smith, and T-Rex, Skov, or any other backup filling in for Bowman.

Also Aldon Smith's pending suspension.

This year is going to be a straight up battle. Also. *knock on wood* for injuries.

wow negative nancy over here. every team has question marks, we are no different. that being said, we are still stacked with talent up the ass compared to about 28 other teams so i like our chances
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Why is training camp starting on a wednesday? That just seems like an odd day to start.
Originally posted by mayo49:
7 days

wooooooooooooooooo
SE7EN DAYS!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
wow, time flies. seems like just yesterday, it was 8 days.
Share 49ersWebzone