LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

49er OTAs 2014 (begins May 27th)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by xcfan:
too bad about marquardt. he must have a foot bone with a compromised blood supply. darn thing doesn't heal and behave properly under stress.

He must have some real potential. We didn't cut him fully...again...we signed him to I.R. We fully cut Breslin though.
Originally posted by NCommand:
too bad about marquardt. he must have a foot bone with a compromised blood supply. darn thing doesn't heal and behave properly under stress.

He must have some real potential. We didn't cut him fully...again...we signed him to I.R. We fully cut Breslin though.

We were required to sign him back if he cleared waivers, I think.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

I'm confused, so if he has a injury every year, the team still has to re-sign him every year?
Maiocco said Ian Williams has been through 4 surgeries from his broken ankle. I hate the motherf**kin' Seacawks even more than I did which is not easy. Those dirty ass SOBs f**ked up his leg something fierce.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Maiocco said Ian Williams has been through 4 surgeries from his broken ankle. I hate the motherf**kin' Seacawks even more than I did which is not easy. Those dirty ass SOBs f**ked up his leg something fierce.

What.The.f**k.
Originally posted by highway49:

I'm confused, so if he has a injury every year, the team still has to re-sign him every year?

very confused as well. Explanation por favor
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by highway49:

very confused as well. Explanation por favor

A team isn't "required" to re-sign players that are injured that is waived. We waived him with the *Injured* designation which means that if no team claims him he will be placed on injured reserve. If they don't want to retain the players rights they usually reach an injury settlement with the player.

Moves like this are done so that the team find a player to replace them for the offseason roster and still retain the rights of the player for the following season.

Sometimes the gambles backfire though; see the Giants in 2011, waiving TE Jake Ballard with the Injured designation, hoping to stash him on IR but then the Patriots swooped in and claimed him.
[ Edited by sfout on Jun 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone