There are 169 users in the forums

Move Justin Smith or Ray McDonald to NT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Yes bring back SOAP and no offense to the OP but if you think Cowboy or Ray Mac can play nose in a 3-4 then you obv don't understand football. A 3 and a 5 tech is completely different than a 0 tech. You have to be a plug in the middle to play nose and we would be killing our pass rush if we did this. We have Dial TJE and Williams hopefully soon to fill the void.

Nothing offensive here
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by xcfan:
who's bull strong? hmmm...okoye.

that clown okoye isn't making the team

With all the injuries - I think his chances are getting better and better.

Me too.

Totally agree.

His chances improved big time.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
The answer is simple. Bring back Sopoaga. He knows the system and has already played very well alongside Smith and McDonald.

Yes bring back SOAP and no offense to the OP but if you think Cowboy or Ray Mac can play nose in a 3-4 then you obv don't understand football. A 3 and a 5 tech is completely different than a 0 tech. You have to be a plug in the middle to play nose and we would be killing our pass rush if we did this. We have Dial TJE and Williams hopefully soon to fill the void.

lol ok bro.

I really dont think finding ways to get Tank on the field more will hurt our pass rush. In Nickel defense I hope RayMac is sub'd for Tank every time this year.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Convert Justin Smith to safety. Problem solved.

Kaepernick is already going to play safety.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Me too.

Went from clown status (to) mediocre football player (to) looking alright (to) has a chance due to injuries (and maybe) the next Nigerian Nightmare Pt ll

Don't sleep on "Big London"
Originally posted by matt49er:
Justin actually said once he's too slow or too big to play DE it's time to retire, he doesn't want to be a NT. And besides, all this JS wasn't good last year stuff is BS. Maybe it wasn't his best season but the guy is a beast. Aside from that, Dorsey was very good at NT and Williams beat him out b4 getting hurt & we have Dial, we're fine on the DL with the guys we have playing the positions they are playing. It will be interesting to see Tank get in the mix this year, I actually think he could end up taking Ray Mac's starting spot.

I agree, don't know if he takes his job but definitely some of his playing time. He should he's a beast and would be a disappointment if he didn't. The more PT he takes from JS and RM the more effective they will be down the stretch. I really like the Tank and Jerrod Eddie.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

Me too.

Went from clown status (to) mediocre football player (to) looking alright (to) has a chance due to injuries (and maybe) the next Nigerian Nightmare Pt ll

Don't sleep on "Big London"

I also read that baalke was looking at some DT/NT types in the supplemental draft. I hear the guy they were looking at was a really strong sopoaga type of player.
Dial or TJE
no. Just no. Jeez.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I say Dial and TJE for the year. I doubt Ian Williams is gonna come back any time soon, knocking on wood though that he only misses 3 weeks in the regular season.

we could use a wide body vet.
I always got the feeling like the coaching staff didn't love Sop. I think they like smaller NTs, really DTs, who are more mobile. That's why Dorsey was such a good fit. I'd bring Sop in for sure though, Couldn't hurt to have another big body there. Maybe the coaching staff really does have faith in TJE and Purcell.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Nothing offensive here

Wasn't dorsey a 3-4 end on the chiefs? I believe it was dorsey and tyson jackson at end with poe at nose. If he could make the transition then I think smith can.

I just want to see the best 3 guys out there. I don't care if it's cowboy raymac and TJE or smith tank and dial. Either way I think we should worry more about the secondary and less about the d line for now.

There's a lot of new faces in the secondary and more familiar faces on the d-line (not to mention more talent).
From what I've heard about Dial, he's made huge progress from his rookie season. Dude has the potential to be a real beast. Don't think we can count on Ian Williams...lots of injuries to heal from, his most recent arguably the most severe. TJE can play there and we have Purcell on PS. No reason to panic, really. Possible they'll sign a vet, but I like our DL depth.
Regardless of who we get, it's going to be freewheeling up front for the first few weeks.

Posters who are wondering what the big deal is are nuts.

You know, I did suggest taking a serious look at vince when he was feuding with bellichek.

We could have worked the cap. Just sayin.
Share 49ersWebzone