There are 276 users in the forums

Move Justin Smith or Ray McDonald to NT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't think that makes much sense. Dorsey did very well at the NT spot last year, a big improvement over Soap in 2012. There's no guarantee that Justin Smith or Ray McDonald would do any better than him and possibly worse. Entirely different responsibilities, entirely different role to be played. Justin belongs on the outside as does Ray, both of them do a great job setting the edge and letting the linebackers do their thing. In a 3-4 DE, you're primarily concerned with the DE's setting the table for everyone else. Justin Smith being a beastly pass rusher is just a bonus.

That said, there has been a dropoff in both of their performances. Which isn't surprising because in 2011 both of them were playing the NFL on easy mode. They had absolutely UNREAL seasons and were the biggest reason why the 49ers were so successful against the run. Neither has managed to match that level of output in subsequent seasons. Both are still among the top DE's in the NFL but one is aging and the other has had constant injury concerns so I hope that Tank can be a consistent contributor, a guy who will play quite a few snaps and add back some more explosiveness to the DE spot.
  • 49er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Maybe in passing situations but my initial feeling is they're too small to play nose. Most think we're losing Aldon for part of the season anyways, so Tank will probably see plenty of action next to Justin, hopefully they develop a similar chemistry.

In a 3-4 base defense? I doubt it. I read that Tank Carradine is now at 295 lbs, so he wouldn't really be well suited to play ROLB. We'd probably more likely see Tank at RDE when we're playing nickel while Justin Smith is at DT.
Sorry, that just doesn't make sense when Fangio has Dorsey, Williams and potentially Dial to play the position. Even Jerod-Eddie can play NT.
Originally posted by 49er:
In a 3-4 base defense? I doubt it. I read that Tank Carradine is now at 295 lbs, so he wouldn't really be well suited to play ROLB. We'd probably more likely see Tank at RDE when we're playing nickel while Justin Smith is at DT.

This. If I ever seen Tank playing standing up, I'd be highly shocked.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Sorry, that just doesn't make sense when Fangio has Dorsey, Williams and potentially Dial to play the position. Even Jerod-Eddie can play NT.

Exactly. Williams and Dorsey should be fine this year with either Dial or Ramsey for depth. And I think Jerod-Eddie eventually takes RayMac's spot at DE.
they already shift into DTs in our 2-4-5 defense, thats about as close as you are ever gonna get. Im excited for Williams, Dorsey played pretty well at NT and if Williams beat him in camp last year... it should be a fun competition to watch again.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't think that makes much sense. Dorsey did very well at the NT spot last year, a big improvement over Soap in 2012. There's no guarantee that Justin Smith or Ray McDonald would do any better than him and possibly worse. Entirely different responsibilities, entirely different role to be played. Justin belongs on the outside as does Ray, both of them do a great job setting the edge and letting the linebackers do their thing. In a 3-4 DE, you're primarily concerned with the DE's setting the table for everyone else. Justin Smith being a beastly pass rusher is just a bonus.

That said, there has been a dropoff in both of their performances. Which isn't surprising because in 2011 both of them were playing the NFL on easy mode. They had absolutely UNREAL seasons and were the biggest reason why the 49ers were so successful against the run. Neither has managed to match that level of output in subsequent seasons. Both are still among the top DE's in the NFL but one is aging and the other has had constant injury concerns so I hope that Tank can be a consistent contributor, a guy who will play quite a few snaps and add back some more explosiveness to the DE spot.

Agree.

Also, Justin is still double teamed most of the time.

I feel with a real rotation his performance will be improved.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I've been thinking about this.. just hear me out. We move one of them to NT. They would be an upgrade over Dorsey or Williams. And it would allow Tank to get on the field in our base package. If Tank really ends up being the monster we are all hoping he is we will want him on the field as much as possible. It's all about getting the best 11 on the field right?

Your lack of knowledge towards Ray-Mac for not knowing he had a torn labrum last year points to your lack of fandom. If your going to call the guy out, at least have facts backing you up.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Your lack of knowledge towards Ray-Mac for not knowing he had a torn labrum last year points to your lack of fandom. If your going to call the guy out, at least have facts backing you up.

Let's not do this.
No.

Rotate more often to keep everybody fresh. Hell, I think we're deeper at NT than DE by a respectable margin. Williams/Dorsey/Dial sounds pretty good to me.

Originally posted by socal9er42:
No.

Rotate more often to keep everybody fresh. Hell, I think we're deeper at NT than DE by a respectable margin. Williams/Dorsey/Dial sounds pretty good to me.

This, plus all 3 of our NT's can play DE in 3-4 and DT in 4-3. That said, wondering if there is enough value in any of our NT's to get a 5th or 6th draft pick if we need to make room by the time we get to 53. NT's just do not play that much anymore.
This is one of the worst ideas I have ever seen posted.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
The crazy things people come up with after the draft and before training camp...lol
No, will not hear you out.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I've been thinking about this.. just hear me out. We move one of them to NT. They would be an upgrade over Dorsey or Williams. And it would allow Tank to get on the field in our base package. If Tank really ends up being the monster we are all hoping he is we will want him on the field as much as possible. It's all about getting the best 11 on the field right?

You're the coach Jim , why haven't tried JS at NT yet
It's probably better to keep him at his more natural position
Share 49ersWebzone