LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Jerry Jr headed to 49ers for tryout

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Clearly he got the weaker DNA from the mother.
Steph Curry not bad either. His dad had a long, productive NBA career and Steph's already better than he was. Of course he's also a little more exception to the rule.
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Jerry Rice Jr.‏@JRtherealgoatJR

Working for the next opportunity...
Appreciate the ravens for getting my feet wet...
Now preparing for #49ers this weekend.. Leggo!

Lets find room for him somewhere on the 90-man!
Good for him but if he isnt good enough then he isnt good enough... Just like J. Montana's son who tried out last if he can play he'll get hired but if not then sorry.
But I feel you bro... I get it, I want to live off his legacy today, if by letting Rice Jr play for us in a way to say thank you Jerry for what you done for us shows that we still remember and care but would in away be bad business. Rice Jr wont be able to live off of Dad's legacy and I think he knows that. I mean look, if he did play and went all bad, think about what it would do to us and even Rice's reputation. I personally wish Jerry had the same situation like me where My dad's name getting me into a job working with plains, but then again it doesnt require much talent and its a job that pays well but also anyone can learn in a short amount of time. Rice Jr job takes a life time commitment for most and to be great in this profession a touch of God's given talent.

Good luck Rice Jr... If you are good enough to play NFL football then I hope our coaching staff see's it, reacts to it and makes SF your home.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nuns:
Ken Griffey and Jr

Archie Manning, Eli and Peyton. The kids were better than dad. Archie did go to the pro bowl twice and never played for a good team.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Steph Curry not bad either. His dad had a long, productive NBA career and Steph's already better than he was. Of course he's also a little more exception to the rule.
Same team Klay Thompson is better than father Mychal who played for the Blazers and the Lakers.
Not sure what this kid is thinking.... he has no business trying out for an NFL roster. Plenty of quality college stars never lay a foot onto an an NFL practice field and this kid (who hardly even played college ball) thinks he can make an NFL roster?

Somebody has some daddy issues to get over.
sorry but he sucks and needs to venture into another career.
Geez guys. Go easy on the kid eh?

Him not performing in college could be due to a lot of things. If he has the skills, then it probably comes down to a mindset and how hard he can work. Let him try out, let him at least get through a week or two and see. If he doesn't perform well he doesn't perform well. No harm no foul.
This appears to be one instance of the athleticism of the parent not being passed down to the kid. Sometimes it works out and the kid is equal to, if not better than, the parent. Other times it does not work at all.

To piggy back on some of the examples in this thread, another time it happened to work out was with Joe "Jelly Bean" Bryant and Kobe Bryant.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
All sons of the all time greats always end up sucking lol

I know it's not football but I love watching Tim Hardaway Jr on the Knicks right now. He was also dope at Michigan.
Tony Gwynn Jr.? Barry Bonds? I know there are more from other sports I am thinking of but can't put my finger on it right now.

bobby and brett hull

Both are deservedly in the HOF, but Brett Hull was better than his dad.

Brett is 3rd all time in goals (Bobby is 16th) and 22nd all time in points. I'm not sure where Bobby ranks all time in points but it's MUCH lower.

When I was 14, Bobby Hull bought me a soda because I recognized him. I asked if Brett was there (a non-game hockey event). He said he was and would go get him. When he came back he said was "too busy" to hang out [with some random kid]. Weaksauce.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Archie Manning, Eli and Peyton. The kids were better than dad. Archie did go to the pro bowl twice and never played for a good team.

There are numerous examples of the son being better than the father.

Oliver and Andrew Luck are another even more recent example.

I think it's fair to say that the kids of truly great players seem to have a lower success rate.
Ken Norton Jr
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Same team Klay Thompson is better than father Mychal who played for the Blazers and the Lakers.

Kobe is better than his pops who played college bball and overseas
They should do like what they do in euro soccer clubs...have youth academies to develop young, special talent lets say for 4-5 years...they can get a diploma for graduating afterwards
Share 49ersWebzone