LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Surprise Starters

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Yeah I doubt borland will be anything special. Nothing more than a quality backup. This was the only pick that had me scratching my head. I thought our depth at ILB was stout but apparently Harbalke didn't feel it was enough.

Originally posted by NCommand:

SAM: Michael Wilhoite - Chris Borland & Shayne Skov
TED: Ahmad Brooks - Corey Lemonier & Aaron Lynch

Battles: There is a battle for the 2nd string RDE position and #1 in the rotation list, for the potential starting position at LDE, for the starting NT position, primary backup at the TED & WILL positions and #1 in the rotation list, starting and backup ILB positions (TED & MIKE), starting LCB position, SLOT/NICKLE and backup at SS.

this is wrong. ahmad is a SAM aka STRONG SIDE linebacker, not a ted LB. the ted in our system is Bowman although ive seen him playing more mike lately.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 21, 2014 at 6:50 PM ]
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Will Martin beat out Kilgore?

Yes! And he'll be great.

And I think Lemonier is a better OLB than Ahmad Brooks, but I don't think he'll win the starting job 'cause Brooks is already playing at a pro bowl level.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Yes! And he'll be great.

And I think Lemonier is a better OLB than Ahmad Brooks, but I don't think he'll win the starting job 'cause Brooks is already playing at a pro bowl level.

Lemonier is not nearly strong enough to play the sam.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Lemonier is not nearly strong enough to play the sam.

Dude did 28 reps at the combine...
Sounds pretty strong to me
Lemonier got outmuscled on the weak side; he's not ready to play on the other side. Not to mention coverage responsibilities. Ahmad brooks > Lemonier as Sam linebackers and it's not close. Lemonier is better suited as a weak side pass rusher.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM ]

SAM: Michael Wilhoite - Chris Borland & Shayne Skov
TED: Ahmad Brooks - Corey Lemonier & Aaron Lynch

Battles: There is a battle for the 2nd string RDE position and #1 in the rotation list, for the potential starting position at LDE, for the starting NT position, primary backup at the TED & WILL positions and #1 in the rotation list, starting and backup ILB positions (TED & MIKE), starting LCB position, SLOT/NICKLE and backup at SS.

this is wrong. ahmad is a SAM aka STRONG SIDE linebacker, not a ted LB. the ted in our system is Bowman although ive seen him playing more mike lately.

100% correct..absolute copy/paste error and great catch! Corrected...
Lemonier got outmuscled on the weak side; he's not ready to play on the other side. Not to mention coverage responsibilities. Ahmad brooks > Lemonier as Sam linebackers and it's not close. Lemonier is better suited as a weak side pass rusher.

Agree with this as well!

I agree here.
I don't think strength has much to do with it though, I think he needs to work on some pass rushing moves and get better with his footwork.
Luckily, our coaching staff teaches those types of things VERY well
BTW: Ready for a surprise starter? Look for Dontae Johnson to push Chris Culliver VERY hard for a starting spot @ LCB (#2).

BTW: Ready for a surprise starter? Look for Dontae Johnson to push Chris Culliver VERY hard for a starting spot @ LCB (#2).

Would not mind this at all.
After watching Culliver look like an idiot in that SB game anything has to be an upgrade.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I agree here.
I don't think strength has much to do with it though, I think he needs to work on some pass rushing moves and get better with his footwork.

Strength very much has to do with it when you're trying to keep contain against a right tackle, who is usually one of the strongest players on the team, and a tight end.

Ahmad brooks is a human anchor while still being fast enough for coverage assignments. Best 3-4 SAM in the league IMO
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I agree here.

Strength very much has to do with it when you're trying to keep contain against a right tackle, who is usually one of the strongest players on the team, and a tight end.

Leverage.
Ahmad Brooks isn't any stronger than Lemonier.

But I do agree, I would rather have Lemonier as a weak side pass rusher.
Yeah of course I was just using strength as a general term. Didn't mean just weight room strength but technique and leverage as well.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on May 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM ]
Yeah of course I was just using strength as a general term. Didn't mean weight room strength.

I gotcha.
My bad, should have caught that. You usually know what you are talking about.
(no sarcasm)
Share 49ersWebzone