LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

Shayne Skov

Originally posted by English:
Maybe the Raiders would have been a better option, but not sure I see him on the line. Even as a 4-3 DE.

I think he would do better as a 4-3 DE than a ILB in a 3-4
He can put on weight, I think he got up to about 270 his junior year.
Luckily he is a smart kid so he would pick up on the transistion pretty quickly.

Struggling to break 5 seconds in the 40, coupled with literally (not figuratively) 0 ball skills doesn't translate well in our scheme.
Who knows though, thats just my opinion.
Well he is fast enough to play the game at the pro lvl. He seems to have a knack of getting just enough of an angle to get there. Now he is a rookie and needs some growth either in size and position or just knowledge of the game. He wont unseat anyone but he is instant depth that might make it to the practice squad. Everyone always counts on health but we could lose 2-3 ILBS in preseason. (knock on wood) I actually think of him as a possible Brooks backup. Idk what you all think of him as strong side olb?
[ Edited by Need4Speed on May 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM ]
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Lol, watching Skovs highlights it REALLY makes you understand how much talent we have in the middle of the field with Bowman and Willis....

Holy s**t, it actually is setting in just now how much we're going to miss Bowman....

These past few years with the production of the defense, it has ruined our (fans) expectations of level of play from our LB corps.

Call me a homer or whatever, but in the 35 years that I've been a fan of football, I don't ever remember ANY team having such a talented group of LBs across the board, including depth.

I know Pitts has had some monstrously talented All Pro LB units! but our guys definitely rank among the best.

It's a shame that these years seem to be flying by so fast....

At the time i thought the LB core that consisted of Andre Carter, Julian Peterson, Jeff Ulbrich, and Derek Smith was elite.
About lb´s depht i hâve read on 49ers.com that breslin was list as ILB, i thought that he was more of rush olb.
Aldo found that chase Thomas is coming for a tryout
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Lol, watching Skovs highlights it REALLY makes you understand how much talent we have in the middle of the field with Bowman and Willis....

Holy s**t, it actually is setting in just now how much we're going to miss Bowman....

These past few years with the production of the defense, it has ruined our (fans) expectations of level of play from our LB corps.

Call me a homer or whatever, but in the 35 years that I've been a fan of football, I don't ever remember ANY team having such a talented group of LBs across the board, including depth.

I know Pitts has had some monstrously talented All Pro LB units! but our guys definitely rank among the best.

It's a shame that these years seem to be flying by so fast....

At the time i thought the LB core that consisted of Andre Carter, Julian Peterson, Jeff Ulbrich, and Derek Smith was elite.

Are they trying him out for ILB ? I still dont understand how these Stanford players can make all the plays in college but get graded down substantially when it comes to evaluations. Like I get it, he came out with less measurable talent, but wasnt he in the running before the season as one of the nations best LBs. just sees to me that Stanford players get supremely downgraded when it comes to 1v1 one battles. Which I understand if its all coaching... but even in their wins Stanford didn't look all that impressive on defense.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by English:
Maybe the Raiders would have been a better option, but not sure I see him on the line. Even as a 4-3 DE.

I think he would do better as a 4-3 DE than a ILB in a 3-4
He can put on weight, I think he got up to about 270 his junior year.
Luckily he is a smart kid so he would pick up on the transistion pretty quickly.

Struggling to break 5 seconds in the 40, coupled with literally (not figuratively) 0 ball skills doesn't translate well in our scheme.
Who knows though, thats just my opinion.

He weighed in at the combine at 6' 2" and 245 lbs.

Where did you get the idea he weighed 270 pounds when he was a junior?

I guess it is possible, but a link would be nice.

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 41s42 seconds ago
Just saw LB Shayne Skov stroll through #49ers locker room. Imagine he's been added to the practice squad. (?)

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 5s5 seconds ago
Shayne Skov added to 49ers p-squad.

Interesting move.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Welcome back!

Originally posted by Tman:
Welcome back!

Yes indeed.
Borland 2.1
Hope Skov has picked up some speed.......really need to secure our inside game, we need to bring in a vet.....
Hope Skov has picked up some speed.......really need to secure our inside game, we need to bring in a vet.....

Why? The guys are doing well atm. Skuta & Brooks could also fill in the pinch.
Share 49ersWebzone