LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Shayne Skov

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, they're both from the U.S. Moved to Mexico so his mother could get medical treatment for a condition.

Does not sound to good. Now, she is living in assisted-care facility in Emeryville.

Damn, who goes to Mexico for a medical treatment? Absolutely backwards.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nuns:
Yeah, they're both from the U.S. Moved to Mexico so his mother could get medical treatment for a condition.

Does not sound to good. Now, she is living in assisted-care facility in Emeryville.

I posted an article. If I remember correctly, she went to Mexico because the climate was better for her health.
Originally posted by Nuns:

Seriously, everyone knows you go to Ecuador.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I honestly think it will be Moody and Wilhoite who will be cut. Wilhoite has a chance to play on obvious passing downs as he might be better in coverage than Borland and Skov but I'm not sure.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Lol, watching Skovs highlights it REALLY makes you understand how much talent we have in the middle of the field with Bowman and Willis....

Holy s**t, it actually is setting in just now how much we're going to miss Bowman....

These past few years with the production of the defense, it has ruined our (fans) expectations of level of play from our LB corps.

Call me a homer or whatever, but in the 35 years that I've been a fan of football, I don't ever remember ANY team having such a talented group of LBs across the board, including depth.

I know Pitts has had some monstrously talented All Pro LB units! but our guys definitely rank among the best.

It's a shame that these years seem to be flying by so fast....

The Saints, IIRC, got all 4 of their starting LBs to the pro-bowl in the same year. 49ers haven't quite done that yet. The question is is the 49ers corps going to stay together and stay great for 2 more years to maybe get all 4 in the pro-bowl at the same time. I don't think it's likely.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I honestly think it will be Moody and Wilhoite who will be cut. Wilhoite has a chance to play on obvious passing downs as he might be better in coverage than Borland and Skov but I'm not sure.

Wilhoite won't be cut. People forget he hasn't just filled in for Bowman and played well, he ALSO filled in for Willis when he was hurt the previous year, and played well then too, which helped earn him his spot. On top of that, Wilhoite played terrific on ST's. Capping it all off, he knows the system and is the clear front-runner to hold down the spot with another off-season of prep.

Borland and Skov have a great chance to earn the back-up roles, but I'm not underestimating Wilhoite. His talent, versatility, experience, and proven ability to hold down the fort are all things the 49ers have consistently shown to keep a player in that starting spot over a rookie. Now, a poor pre-season could derail him if he does not show up to play, but I think he'll be fine.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Wilhoite won't be cut. People forget he hasn't just filled in for Bowman and played well, he ALSO filled in for Willis when he was hurt the previous year, and played well then too, which helped earn him his spot. On top of that, Wilhoite played terrific on ST's. Capping it all off, he knows the system and is the clear front-runner to hold down the spot with another off-season of prep.

Borland and Skov have a great chance to earn the back-up roles, but I'm not underestimating Wilhoite. His talent, versatility, experience, and proven ability to hold down the fort are all things the 49ers have consistently shown to keep a player in that starting spot over a rookie. Now, a poor pre-season could derail him if he does not show up to play, but I think he'll be fine.

We could honestly have 5 ILBs if we part ways with Osgood. We just need a guy that can play great special teams, and I have a feeling Skov will unseat Osgood in that role.
Originally posted by Scoots:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Lol, watching Skovs highlights it REALLY makes you understand how much talent we have in the middle of the field with Bowman and Willis....

Holy s**t, it actually is setting in just now how much we're going to miss Bowman....

These past few years with the production of the defense, it has ruined our (fans) expectations of level of play from our LB corps.

Call me a homer or whatever, but in the 35 years that I've been a fan of football, I don't ever remember ANY team having such a talented group of LBs across the board, including depth.

I know Pitts has had some monstrously talented All Pro LB units! but our guys definitely rank among the best.

It's a shame that these years seem to be flying by so fast....

The Saints, IIRC, got all 4 of their starting LBs to the pro-bowl in the same year. 49ers haven't quite done that yet. The question is is the 49ers corps going to stay together and stay great for 2 more years to maybe get all 4 in the pro-bowl at the same time. I don't think it's likely.

no it probably wont happen. bowman wont make it this year and aldon going to rehab cost the group last year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Now that he's sporting red in the north, I'm assuming he'll claim 14
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Wilhoite is our new Larry Grant (w/out the PEDS)... Moody still has some proving to do.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Borland is so much better though. These guys on the WZ are Bay Area Centric. Obviously so. I'm not saying anything is wrong with that necessarily. But if you miss the total overall college football season you may not know other guys are better. Borland is more instinctive, better playmaker, creates more turnovers. I just think he will play while Bowman recovers.

I think Skov might be better at diagnosing an offense, but everything else you listed is spot on.
People on here get caught up in him being local and from Stanford, I think he is going to be a special teams star... And thats about it.
He literally has 0 ball skills, in his 5 seasons (1 he got a medical red-shirt) he never intercepted a pass, our MLB needs to be able to drop into coverage.
Unless Skov changes to a pass rushing DE like Lynch, he isn't going to make it.
Originally posted by Scoots:

It depends on whether you count Aldon Smith as a DE or OLB. Brooks, Smith, Bowman and Willis...

Saints ain't ever had anything like that.
Originally posted by GEEK:
We could honestly have 5 ILBs if we part ways with Osgood. We just need a guy that can play great special teams, and I have a feeling Skov will unseat Osgood in that role.

I think that's wishful thinking. If anything has been proven over the past few years it's not taking your STs aces for granted...
Originally posted by GEEK:

If Skov makes special teams, it won't be because Osgood didn't.
They would play two different positions
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I like Skov ALOT, he's familiar with the 49ers defense and Vic Fangio so that has to give him some kind of edge. But I'd like to see either Moody or Borland start next to Willis when the season starts. I think Moody has a slight edge over Borland with his coverage skills, but Borland is a much much better tackler and solid vs. the run. Wilhoite has a tough battle ahead, Skov, Moody and Borland all have something different to offer. Put Moody, Borland and Skov in the same body and it would equal Navarro Bowman. lol
Share 49ersWebzone