LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Is our Roster better right now than it was a year ago at this time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is our Roster better right now than it was a year ago at this time?

This really isn't a valid question. We have some issues of course with Bowman being out and the uncertainty of the status of Aldon Smith and Chris Culliver, however, we all better all around, at almost every position. We also have the return of Ian Williams and now some proven depth in Tony Jerod-Eddie. At receiver, you could make a case for us being deeper than we were in '98. I hope Greg Roman knows how to use to players at his disposal this year.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
DB - Weaker to begin with until the new blood is integrated. Should finish stronger.

You don't think Culliver, Brock, Hyde, Reid (with a year under his belt) and Bethea are better day 1 than Rogers, Asomugah, Brown, Whitner, Reid? And Kaep won't be better after his first full season as starter?
Heck yes!
Originally posted by Disp:
How is this even a question? You could argue that every vacant position this offseason was filled with an upgrade, and the team added substantial depth. There's a good chance that we're better at literally every single position group going into this season, with the only real question being center.

Some could argue That Brock and Cully are not IMMEDIATE upgrades over Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers. Some could argue Bethea is not an upgrade over Whitner. Some could argue Kilgore or Martin is not an IMMEDIATE upgrade over Goodwin.

I think the question is valid.
Put me down with Pillbusta. Jeez, we got way better with WARD, we added 3 CBs, (who will not only compete with CBs #3-6, but replace more than 2 of them IMO), we got a new Center(unless Kilgore is better) , and in that case we got a new OG...adios Snyder. WE went from KW as or #2 WR and that was it to 3 bona fide all pros, and one sensational WR in Ellington. We added depth at ILB, and DL. Also we got our new RB when frank hangs it up, we got the best FB in the draft....wow, how does that NOT make this a better team. More importantly we got another yr under kap's belt and he is out of the toughest yr, 2nd yr, when all QBs seem to regress. (why, I don't know). But did we get better? Everyplace but at OC, and if roman calls plays as before, all the above is negated by one person. In that case, JH will come under fire to deep six roman.
QB - Same
RB - Stronger
OL - Same
WR - Much Stronger
DL - Same
LB - Weaker to begin with until Aldon and Bowman return
DB - Weaker to begin with until the new blood is integrated. Should finish stronger.

I tend to agree with this breakdown. My hopes are though with another year under his belt QB will be stronger and with the infusion of a more athletic C the OL will play at a higher level.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Put me down with Pillbusta. Jeez, we got way better with WARD, we added 3 CBs, (who will not only compete with CBs #3-6, but replace more than 2 of them IMO), we got a new Center(unless Kilgore is better) , and in that case we got a new OG...adios Snyder. WE went from KW as or #2 WR and that was it to 3 bona fide all pros, and one sensational WR in Ellington. We added depth at ILB, and DL. Also we got our new RB when frank hangs it up, we got the best FB in the draft....wow, how does that NOT make this a better team. More importantly we got another yr under kap's belt and he is out of the toughest yr, 2nd yr, when all QBs seem to regress. (why, I don't know). But did we get better? Everyplace but at OC, and if roman calls plays as before, all the above is negated by one person. In that case, JH will come under fire to deep six roman.

doc, as usual, said nothing wrong. as i said before with the new people, a healthy crabs, and stevie there is no reason for us to see some of the s**t roman or roman/jh or whoever the f**ked pulled at times on offense.... now let us get the plays called in on time for the love of god
Yes. They're going to be awesome. Kaep is a year wiser, Aldon is off the dope I think, Reid will be better, no more Rogers getting burned, Lattimore and Hyde, Tank, Ward, an improved Vance. Bowman back by the playoffs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
QB - Same
RB - Stronger
OL - Same
WR - Much Stronger
DL - Same
LB - Weaker to begin with until Aldon and Bowman return

I tend to agree with this breakdown. My hopes are though with another year under his belt QB will be stronger and with the infusion of a more athletic C the OL will play at a higher level.
i am a little at odds with bullet point 6 and our linebackers,,,, now please do not misunderstand me because you just do not replace a pro bowler like bowman(and aldon to depending on what happens) but i really really think we will be ok with our depth there. i really think michael w/dan skuta can start for most teams in the nfl and i really think that the linebacking by committee will help bridge that gap till bowman returns,, and we still got brooks and willis which is not bad!! same thing for the lemon man with aldon. whatever we get from the rookies is just gravy.. now maybe that is unreal optimism but thats how i see the backer thing
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Yes. They're going to be awesome. Kaep is a year wiser, Aldon is off the dope I think, Reid will be better, no more Rogers getting burned, Lattimore and Hyde, Tank, Ward, an improved Vance. Bowman back by the playoffs.

off the dope!! ha. we may never know the real story. i think its alcohol but it is some type of substance abuse for sure!! but T is spot on about everything esp ck. I think ck was a better qb at the end of the year than he was at the start of the year and i feel he will be a better qb at the start of the year than what he was when he walked off the field vs the hawks. we got 3 buys back there in reid, our new safety and our number one who can tackle and not extend drives for the other team

Offense is better, defense will have to show it. If Tank is the player the team thinks he is it will go a long way in maintaining the DL. The secondary will be better. If it is even possible the new additions will of make the team only hungrier.
Better and deeper.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Offense is better, defense will have to show it. If Tank is the player the team thinks he is it will go a long way in maintaining the DL. The secondary will be better. If it is even possible the new additions will of make the team only hungrier.

I hope Tank is what I saw during his years at FSU. I've said it a few times, I follow the FSU program pretty close and Tank compares very well to any of the big pass rushers that program has produced. If he is fully healed and comes back to the level he was at, then we just got an additional First Round Talent and I think you could argue our DL will be stronger, even with Justin getting older.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
100% Better.

Besides a couple of Niner fans being funny, I'd bet the majority of the (currently) 9% that voted no are CAWK suckers.
the poll should ask "is the play calling better".....
Share 49ersWebzone