LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Running Back Situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Running Back Situation

The only reason why they would trade hunter before LJM is because hunter has more trade value and they do not think he will resign with the team.
LMJ should be gone WAY before Hunter is gone. Hunter has been nothing but productive during his tenure with his team but likely won't be with the team past next season. Lattimore/Hyde duo will be the future for years to come.
I think people are missing some vital points in the debate. All of this is assuming Lattimore is 100% and ready to contribute. If he is not we keep him on the pup list til midseason or next year and the other 4 backs stay.

Hunter is a terrific player. No question. But what will he have to do if we have Gore starting, Hyde working in, Lattimore working in: what's left for Hunter? Unless we plan on benching Lattimore or Hyde what's left? I guess we could treat lattimore or Hyde like LMJ and not have them suit up for games until someone gets injured but that doesn't sound right.

LMJ is a terrific back. He averages over 4 1/2 yds per carry. Would be a great receiver if we let him. Is a very good KR. Never wanted to be a PR but we tasked him with that duty so he does his best. Did he complain. Sure. We didn't even suit him up the 1st half of his rookie year until Hunter was injured and then he came in and played well. Then we draft Lattimore and Hyde so he will have even less opportunity. What a whiner. I remember Jerry Rice complaining because he only caught a couple of passes in a game. Imagine what Jerry would have said if we didn't suit him up for some games. So LMJ wants to play. What player worth a damn doesn't? I would be more worried about a player who was content collecting paychecks and not playing and not risking injury, being paid to do nothing.

As for who goes it's like I said. If we get a reasonable offer in a trade Baalke will take it. If not Hunter becomes a little more expendable because neither he or LMJ will carry the ball barring us benching Hyde or Lattimore (assuming Lattimore is 100%). LMJ is a good KR and has 2 years left on his rookie contract. Hunter only has 1 yr left and so far hasn't really played much on special teams. As much as I like Hunter if we are not going to use him then what's the point?

If Gore gets 15 carries a game which is low for him and we give a whopping 7 carries to Hunter what's left for Hyde and Lattimore? Splitting maybe 8 carries a game average? Why did we even draft them then? Please tell me we didn't spend another 2nd rd pick on a RB so he could average 4-5 carries a game. Hunter barely touched the ball last year before Hyde and Lattimore. If we make use of Hyde and Lattimore there will be games when Hunter doesn't even suit up. Hunter is terrific but unless we plan on not utilizing Hyde and Lattimore then there is just nothing left for him.

This also begs 1 more question. What round will we draft another RB in next year? The 2nd rd or the 4th rd? 4 years in a row we have spent a 4th or a 2nd rd pick at RB even though the backs we already have don't get enough carries so will we make it 5 years in a row?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
The malcontent LMJ will be cut or flipped for a 7th rounder I believe.

I'm hoping Chip Kelly will pay more for him. Hopefully a 5th.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Scoots:
I'll say it again here ... cut Gore now.

well that makes one of you who would do that

I don't care if Gore shows up to camp with one leg amputated and two broken arms, dude's our starting RB as long as he wants to be.

lol not that either. This should be Gore's last year if Lattimore and Hyde are the real deal. If there are questions about them - then Gore should be brought back.

You're always better off letting go an aging vet a year too early than a year too late. I love Gore but gotta do what's best for the team.
How about Gore and LMJ? That could happen, it would be nice on our cap, hell if any of these new guards can take over, we can trade off Upati. I think we could actually benefit from this, if those three turn into cap room for Aldon, and Kaep, and a couple of picks, I see 5, and pair of 7ths, it would be good for the team.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DVDA:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

What would be the benefit of that?? Not only has he been the workhorse for the 49ers at RB, he's been a team leader, a inspiration to the team, see Marcus Lattimore.

And I say this....EXTEND Gore now!!!

As far as LMJ or Hunter, I would choose Hunter. I think Hunter sees the field better than LMJ, and he's got more of a second gear, he doesn't dance a lot like LMJ. Plus I like Hunters on-field speed more, when Hunter hits the gaps, he turns on the jets.

You're insane, the dude is old and even slower than he was before. He's not worth the salary he's making right now.

Well see if I'm insane when the time comes. "Slower than ever", that's a joke, not sure you know this, but not all RB's are burners, Kendall Hunter has 10x's the speed of Gore, you don't see him running away from everyone. "Slower than ever", he still managed 1100 yards with 9TD's 4.1 y/a, Marshawn Lynch 1252 yards with 12 TD's 4.2 y/a and Gore is 3 years older. Lynch averages 78 yards a game while Gore averages 70 yards per game, again Gore is 3 years older.

Name a running back who wouldn't be a 1000 yard rusher behind the 49ers offensive line... Gore is a solid running back, but he's not a special back anymore. The 49ers would be better off with a solid chunk of cap space and a committee approach assuming everyone makes it through the preseason healthy.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by LVJay:
In LMJ's defense, he'll be better off on a team that doesn't have 27 RBs like we do.

49ers trade him to the Brownies (they'll do it for a 5th rounder, they're desperate for offensive play makers)... making life easier for Hoyer/Manziel.

I'm hoping it plays out like that. And if we can trade him for a 5th, even better. It's hard to believe there wouldn't be SOME interest in LaMichael James. Isn't Minnesota supposed to be looking for a back behind Adrian Peterson? Even though Peterson is the guy, James could get about 5 or so carries a game on a regular basis, which would be about 500% better than what he gets here. He also could also provide depth as a returner behind Cordarelle Patterson.

What's funny is that IF we do trade James and Gore retires this year, I can see us drafting ANOTHER running back next year (because I highly doubt Kendall Hunter will resign with us).

LMJ or Hunter to Vikings would be good for them. However, I hope neither end up with an NFC team / AFC team that we could possibly meet in the playoffs or SB... ship them to teams like Brownies or London Shaguars
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DVDA:
Name a running back who wouldn't be a 1000 yard rusher behind the 49ers offensive line... Gore is a solid running back, but he's not a special back anymore. The 49ers would be better off with a solid chunk of cap space and a committee approach assuming everyone makes it through the preseason healthy.

What about the years when he broke 1000+ behind the some of the most teribble o-lines

Youre crazy.

He still has value not only as a runner but as a great pass blocker.

Originally posted by Clarity:
This.

And let me demonstrate why with no talk and just tape.

Here's Kendall Hunter vs real NFL defenses.

Here's LaMichael James vs a few backup and starting NFL defenses.

Obviously Hunter has better stats but overall Kendall Hunter is a better player.

Right now Lattimore and Hyde are trying to just get some cracks at the backup position.

It's not like Kendall Hunter is losing it all of a sudden.

James will be out by training camp.

that does it... LMJ!!

The vid was great, it didn't seem hard for Alex to find him even though he was the shortest guy on the field... that might be the reason why (find the shortest guy and throw in his area, he will catch it).

Hunter looks more explosive and much more decisive
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
How about Gore and LMJ? That could happen, it would be nice on our cap, hell if any of these new guards can take over, we can trade off Upati. I think we could actually benefit from this, if those three turn into cap room for Aldon, and Kaep, and a couple of picks, I see 5, and pair of 7ths, it would be good for the team.

I really think Hunter deserves a shot at some carries. Heck, I think LMJ deserves some carries but if there is a cut, I think it will be LMJ. I have an even more suspicious feeling that they both could be gone.

The FO really went after some talented guys, but there are only so many RBs in a given formation. Roman has actually done things a little different in the back field sometimes, but with the potential growth at WR I have to wonder how this offense is going to be deployed.

I know this much, come the end of training camp, there will be solid players at every position.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
In LMJ's defense, he'll be better off on a team that doesn't have 27 RBs like we do.

49ers trade him to the Brownies (they'll do it for a 5th rounder, they're desperate for offensive play makers)... making life easier for Hoyer/Manziel.

I'm hoping it plays out like that. And if we can trade him for a 5th, even better. It's hard to believe there wouldn't be SOME interest in LaMichael James. Isn't Minnesota supposed to be looking for a back behind Adrian Peterson? Even though Peterson is the guy, James could get about 5 or so carries a game on a regular basis, which would be about 500% better than what he gets here. He also could also provide depth as a returner behind Cordarelle Patterson.

What's funny is that IF we do trade James and Gore retires this year, I can see us drafting ANOTHER running back next year (because I highly doubt Kendall Hunter will resign with us).

LMJ or Hunter to Vikings would be good for them. However, I hope neither end up with an NFC team / AFC team that we could possibly meet in the playoffs or SB... ship them to teams like Brownies or London Shaguars

I suggested the Jaguars during the draft as a possible landing spot. Who do they have there anyway now that MJD is gone? Hunter definitely would be a better fit, but I'd rather hold onto him and let the contract play out. I guess it all really depends on how the competition at KR/PR goes this summer. Bruce Ellington really is only the guy to challenge LaMichael James. Perrish Cox apparently could not win the job last year and I doubt he'd be able to do it this year. I know we've tried Kendall Hunter as a kick returner a little. I wonder if he will be given more reps at that spot during TC as well as Darryl Morris. Anything to give us more flexibility and allow us to trade James without having concerns at the critical returner position.
I still cannot figure out WHY the 49ers drafted LMJ when Kendall Hunter was already on the roster?? Made no sense then and even worse sense now. Baalke needs to trade LMJ for a 4th or 5th or 6th round pick or just flat out release him. He's literally useless to the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone