LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 186 users in the forums

Running Back Situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Running Back Situation

Originally posted by KID9R:
1. If Lattimore is healthy, Hunter should be traded not James.
2. Everyone notes how James is unhappy with his role. He should be. He's averaged just over one carry a game (39) since he's been here. Yet his avg. YPC is higher than Hunter's. The coaching staff has also failed to put him in positions to succeed by putting him in space, giving him extended carries and running screens etc. we don't even know what we have in him yet.
3. Hunter is a FA after this year and there's no way we're going re sign him.
4. No matter what RB we decide to trade it should be for a conditional pick based off of performance. That's the only way we're going to get remotely close value to the player because they're so underutilized here. If James went to the Saints for example, I could see him getting about 40+ catches. Or Hunter to the Jags, he could rush for over 1000 yards and easily beat out Toby Gerhart.

Like your analysis and whoever gets traded, please trade them to the AFC
Originally posted by Niners99:
Hunter is far better than James. Cut the guy who contributes less.

This.

And let me demonstrate why with no talk and just tape.

Here's Kendall Hunter vs real NFL defenses.

Here's LaMichael James vs a few backup and starting NFL defenses.

Obviously Hunter has better stats but overall Kendall Hunter is a better player.

Right now Lattimore and Hyde are trying to just get some cracks at the backup position.

It's not like Kendall Hunter is losing it all of a sudden.

James will be out by training camp.
[ Edited by Clarity on May 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM ]
2. Everyone notes how James is unhappy with his role. He should be. He's averaged just over one carry a game (39) since he's been here. Yet his avg. YPC is higher than Hunter's. The coaching staff has also failed to put him in positions to succeed by putting him in space, giving him extended carries and running screens etc. we don't even know what we have in him yet.
4. No matter what RB we decide to trade it should be for a conditional pick based off of performance. That's the only way we're going to get remotely close value to the player because they're so underutilized here. If James went to the Saints for example, I could see him getting about 40+ catches. Or Hunter to the Jags, he could rush for over 1000 yards and easily beat out Toby Gerhart.

1. Why? Why keep a backup with less production who fumbles?
2. True but will we ever with the addition of Lattimore and Hyde this year?
3. True.
4. True but that's because we have sooo many backs.

Your points are valid but I think you're just biased towards LaMichael James.

The dude can't pass protect to save his life and all he does is complain.

Well now with Lattimore and Hyde I don't see James playing.
[ Edited by Clarity on May 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM ]
Kendall Hunter also has the added quality of not whining on twitter about everything and being a little b***h...

Actually I have some better to point out.

Hunter is purely better because when he came in as a rookie he earned his touches and played backup.

When James came in he didn't earn his touches and he's done nothing but a few decent kickoff returns.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Scoots:
I'll say it again here ... cut Gore now.

You keep saying that... I keep chuckling

Lol 3 full seasons without missing games to injury, not to mention 3 consecutive 1000+ rushing yards per season....
Not to mention he is a niner, we don't treat 49er vets like that (especially gore)

Scoots is bored bro. He's gonna give a lot of peeps in here hissy fits with all that Gore "cut"
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Clarity:
This.

And let me demonstrate why with no talk and just tape.

Here's Kendall Hunter vs real NFL defenses.

Here's LaMichael James vs a few backup and starting NFL defenses.

Obviously Hunter has better stats but overall Kendall Hunter is a better player.

Right now Lattimore and Hyde are trying to just get some cracks at the backup position.

It's not like Kendall Hunter is losing it all of a sudden.

James will be out by training camp.

that does it... LMJ!!

The vid was great, it didn't seem hard for Alex to find him even though he was the shortest guy on the field... that might be the reason why (find the shortest guy and throw in his area, he will catch it).

James is a fumbler an unreliable in critical times, Hunter hasn't had fumbling issues. To me Hunter should be kept and I think the demand for Hunter won't be great, so resigning him shouldn't be hard.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Clarity:

1. Why? Why keep a backup with less production who fumbles?
2. True but will we ever with the addition of Lattimore and Hyde this year?
3. True.
4. True but that's because we have sooo many backs.

Your points are valid but I think you're just biased towards LaMichael James.

The dude can't pass protect to save his life and all he does is complain.

Well now with Lattimore and Hyde I don't see James playing.

I'm not biased towards James, I thought Hunter would be Gore's eventual replaced at one time. I just like to think about the long term. Let's say this is Gore's last year, we trade away James and keep Hunter. Next year we have Hyde and Lattimore and that's it. Both of which have never taken an NFL snap. So we would have cut ties from a 2nd round pick in James and receive next to no compensation for Hunter and would probably draft another RB in next years draft. Those highlight videos made me more excited for James overall, Hunter is the more complete back no doubt but James could be dynamic as a changed of pace back. I can only imagine the amount of production James would had if he had as many check down or screen passes that Hunter got from Alex in those clips. And there's more than one way to skin a cat as it pertains to pass protection. James could easily chip and leak out to the flat as an outlet the way Sporles does.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:

James is a fumbler an unreliable in critical times, Hunter hasn't had fumbling issues. To me Hunter should be kept and I think the demand for Hunter won't be great, so resigning him shouldn't be hard.

Hunter may not have complained about it like James has but do you really think he's going want to stay here with Lattimore, Hyde and possibly Gore. Hunter could easily get more carries somewhere else (I think he could start for some teams) and make a name for himself.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
In LMJ's defense, he'll be better off on a team that doesn't have 27 RBs like we do.

49ers trade him to the Brownies (they'll do it for a 5th rounder, they're desperate for offensive play makers)... making life easier for Hoyer/Manziel.
Originally posted by mayo49:
The malcontent one will get cut or traded. Hunter will play out his contract and walk next year.

^ also the way I see it going down.
I want us to have Lattimore as our main back, Hunter as our change of pace, and Hyde as our short yardage. However, Hunter would be an idiot to stay with this team. He could be a starter on several other teams and his agent knows it. Thus, after this season I think we will have just Lattimore and Hyde unfortunately.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on May 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The (IF) game with a lot of ?s

What IF (in TC and preseason) Jekyl & Hyde does good... Lattimore is 100% and wows us all... Gore says FTW and proves, once again, why he's clearly the starter... what if LMJ/Hunter do well also????

If they get a lot of attention in TC and get the most touches in preseason, that would increase their stock (more value for future picks). Is it unfathomable to think that we let go of both Hunter/LMJ?

And what if Jewel Hampton.....

Go on, get at me
Hunter may not have complained about it like James has but do you really think he's going want to stay here with Lattimore, Hyde and possibly Gore. Hunter could easily get more carries somewhere else (I think he could start for some teams) and make a name for himself.

Do I think he will want to stay here with Lattimore?

What has Lattimore done to secure a roster spot, let alone playing time? Lattimore isn't going to be playing STs, and Hunter can, so to assume Lattimore is going to step in and just take a spot, isn't a sure bet. Lattimore may not even be half the runner he used to be and of ANY previously injured player in almost the history of the NFL, Lattimore has suffered one of the most gruesome injuries of all time, when that happens, it has to take a place in your mentality. Not saying Lattimore won't be a good player, but no one knows what will happen with him mentally or physically, and if he doesn't show A LOT of upside during camp and preseason, when cuts get down to the nitty gritty, are you going to keep a guy that may have limited production and cannot play STs or a guy that has a proven record and is also a STs contributor??

Who knows, it will be fun to watch though.
Share 49ersWebzone