There are 208 users in the forums

Running Back Situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Running Back Situation

Originally posted by matt49er:
I think LMJ will go sometime in TC and you're wrong about Hunter not having ST value, he has experience at KR and covering kicks. As for the WR situation, we can afford to keep all 3 just fine IMO. We'll let Iupati walk, Gore's contract comes off the books and a few vets, namely Ray Mac have large cap hits next year that will either be renegotiated or cut/traded. We can make the room just fine.

Hunter has experience but he doesn't have the production on special teams that LMJ has. With Hunter in his last year of his contract that makes him more expendable unless a worthwhile trade for LMJ is offered.

As for the cap. Iupati saves us little. He is in his rookie contract. Gore saves us some. Maybe enough to resign Aldon Smith. Where are we going to get the cap room to give Kap a $15million a year raise or so and resign Crabtree? Anything is possible but I don't see the 49ers cutting a starting DL like Ray Mac to pay a #3 WR. If Johnson shines it could be Boldin who goes or is offered a pay cut but I don't see the 49ers paying $6million to a #3 WR with the cap pressure coming up and Kap's extension that will be huge when we are a defense and run 1st team.

As for keeping all 5 RB's as some may suggest, why? If Gore starts and Lattimore and Hyde are ready to contribute other than special teams what would Hunter and LMJ have left to do? They would never get a carry. If Lattimore isn't ready we could stash him on the pup list until midseason and then reevaluate but if he is ready to go then there is no need to waste a roster spot for a 5th RB who will never get a carry when that will force us to cut a player at another position and we don't have any roster fillers anymore. All our players are good. We have the deepest team in the NFL and no roster spots to spare.
Hunter on any other team would have already had a much better career. Dude has been light years better than LMJ and I don't know how many fumbles he has tallied over the years, but I can't remember the last time.

Hunter is very underrated and under utilized IMO.

LMJ hasn't done crap over the years except a couple nice returns and maybe a couple nice runs, well and that fumble in the Super Bowl .....
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Hunter on any other team would have already had a much better career. Dude has been light years better than LMJ and I don't know how many fumbles he has tallied over the years, but I can't remember the last time.

LMJ hasn't done crap over the years except a couple nice returns and maybe a couple nice runs, well and that fumble in the Super Bowl .....

Yep I agree Hunter is the superior back and someone I hope the Niners intend to keep on the roster.

LMJ is a whiny little b***h and I can't wait till they cut/trade him. Don't need that mini Jacobs on our team, let him be a cancer to someone else's club.
Think Hunter is the better player and a change of pace back, LMJ can return kicks, but we have Ellington now so LMJ is more expendable.
The malcontent LMJ will be cut or flipped for a 7th rounder I believe.
I'll say it again here ... cut Gore now.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I'd let Hunter have another productive season and leave via FA in hopes of collecting a compensatory pick next year. Between Hunter, Crabs and Iupati we could get a nice draft day haul if none are signed.
lmj has training camp trade written all over him.
Originally posted by CWin4949:

100% agreed. Hunter is a damn good back. Hasn't really gotten much of a chance to shine with Gore as the workhorse. I think Hunter could be a starter and a 1000 yard back. He has way more power than LMJ and is almost just as quick and fast. In fact, I think Hunter shows a greater burst through the hole than LMJ. LMJ is hesitant.
LMJ will go, but not Hunter. Hunter is not only capable of being an every down back, he does also provide a great change of pace for our bruising runners and is a rock solid pass-protector which has been an asset of his going back to his college days. He breaks tackles better than LMJ, he is arguably the better pass-catcher, he can run inside the tackles, and when you tack on his his special teams and return ability, you see he brings everything LMJ does and more.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
LMJ will go, but not Hunter. Hunter is not only capable of being an every down back, he does also provide a great change of pace for our bruising runners and is a rock solid pass-protector which has been an asset of his going back to his college days. He breaks tackles better than LMJ, he is arguably the better pass-catcher, he can run inside the tackles, and when you tack on his his special teams and return ability, you see he brings everything LMJ does and more.

hunter is very good. i know some are down on him, but i really think we've kind of forgotten how good he was before he got hurt. its possible last season he didnt have it all back yet even though he was healthy enough to suit up. i bet he is better this year.
Have you guys seen our punt return team before LMJ? We have to solidify that before being so anxious to get rid of him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Have you guys seen our punt return team before LMJ? We have to solidify that before being so anxious to get rid of him.

Well if we're gonna try trade LMJ, now's the time so we can sort it out in TC. I really don't want a guy who hates being on this team. Creates distractions and breaks unity.
Originally posted by dhp318:

Well if we're gonna try trade LMJ, now's the time so we can sort it out in TC. I really don't want a guy who hates being on this team. Creates distractions and breaks unity.

Agreed. We have several players who can return kicks/punts. Including the following:

Bruce Ellington
Kendall Hunter
Perrish Cox
Kenneth Acker

And I think they even gave Quinton Patton a crack at it too.

James is nearly as stupid as Ginn when it comes to catching kicks. He is more consistent after he has the ball in hands, but I cringe when I see James run up on a ball, or side catch a ball, or hang too closely around a ball he has no intention of touching. I am not a fan and believe his value to our ST's is overstated. He is doing it in an effort to gain more touches in the run game. You can tell he is not passionate about it. You can tell that he is a bit begrudged by having to do it. LMJ wants to play regular downs. We have 4 guys right now that I would rather give playing time to on regular downs. LMJ is a cancer waiting to happen. He is going to be even more disgruntled with the addition of Hyde, who is a good pass pro as well, LMJ's krptonite.

I was really excited about the LMJ pick when it was made. I am not a fan of him remaining on the team just a few short years later. Dude is a bust. Entitled and doesn't seem to want to work for play time. Appears to want it given to him.
Share 49ersWebzone