LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Fallacy of lack speed reciever and loss to Seahawks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I have never once heard that the reason we lost the NFCCG was because we lacked a vertical threat/speed receiver. Never seen that once here. I've only seen it suggested as a dynamic we should add to our offense. Lots of mock drafters had us selecting a receiver while more had us selecting a DB. Just admit it, Kaep's bad decisions cost us the game and some cheating refs.

A QB's actions don't exist in a bubble. For example, if a QB puts up 500 yds passing with 4 TDs including a game winner that not only tells us that he's a good QB but that his team has a s**tty defense. If the same team had a top-tier defense, that same QB could win in a blowout with just 250 yds and 2 TDs.

Kap's turnovers didn't exist in a bubble. They were the result of crappy offensive line play, defensive miscues, bad coaching and bad calls. When a QB has to come from behind in the 4th quarter he has to become a gunslinger. In the process he may turn the ball over. Fact of the matter is that if the defense didn't allow a 10+ yd gain on 3rd and long and didn't jump offside on 4th and 7, we would have gotten the ball back and the Hawks would have had 7 less points.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
lol This is hilarious, let's see then, we should take out the only person that moved the ball all game at all to put in a backup qb and we automatically win the game, brilliant! If you take Kaep out then you also take out all the damage he did during the game with his legs, if you take that part of the game we don't move the ball and we don't score, so then we're losing the game probably to the tune of 17+ to nothing, our offense without him...we would have had NOTHING, Gore ran for south of 10 yards. Kaep might have made the mistake to seal the fate of the team but we actually would NEVER HAVE HAD THE CHANCE to win the game in the ending without him. He was the SOLE reason we even moved the ball at all on offense so maybe think before you throw out statements like Colt McCoy leading us to victory, I almost threw up on my screen.

Actually, what I said is, if you brought in McCoy and let him do nothing, IT INCREASES our chances to win. I didn't say we should have brought in McCoy.

We were winning the game in case you forgot....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by cciowa:
oh please,, no one cost us the game and the cheating refs is just silly. we lost by a few inches, plain and simple. ck made mistakes but he more than made up for them on the last drive, after somehow the d got the ball back after bowmans injury. the grit the team showed on that last drive, ck and gore almost willed us to win and in the end a few inches was it. when its all said and done we and they will be playing in that exact same game this coming year.

What's so silly about believing refs can cheat and Kaep's bad decisions cost us the game? Any explanation is better than an oversimplified answer like we lost by "a few inches". I'm not Kaep bashing but I think people underestimate the importance of the error free football it will take to win #6. Ask Joe, ask Russell. Kaep will have to do better, but you already know this. Joe played error free and we barely won a couple of those. Those were the days.
joe threw five picks vs dallas and we still won the game. sure its nice to play mistake free football but if you make a mistake you have to have the mental toughness to over come and try to lead your team back to a win. joe did it vs dallas, overcoming a bunch of picks with a pass that four inches higher would have been incomplete,, ck almost did it. he is young, he will learn. after all this is not the last time we will be in that game
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Dude, please stop. I love Kaep just as much as anyone but he's the absolute reason we lost. If not for his mistakes, ewe Winn that game going away.

Two seasons, two forced throws to end our season......dude has to improve his execution.

narrow minded in my opinion,, play calling cost us the super bowl along with a horrid defensive effort and special ed teams. last year he missed a pass by a few inches, after he drove us down the field putting us in a spot to win the game. you base 120 minutes of football in two huge games on two plays. part of me wants to say that you know little about the game,, but i will restrain myself for the sake of good will in the webzone
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thrash88:
lol This is hilarious, let's see then, we should take out the only person that moved the ball all game at all to put in a backup qb and we automatically win the game, brilliant! If you take Kaep out then you also take out all the damage he did during the game with his legs, if you take that part of the game we don't move the ball and we don't score, so then we're losing the game probably to the tune of 17+ to nothing, our offense without him...we would have had NOTHING, Gore ran for south of 10 yards. Kaep might have made the mistake to seal the fate of the team but we actually would NEVER HAVE HAD THE CHANCE to win the game in the ending without him. He was the SOLE reason we even moved the ball at all on offense so maybe think before you throw out statements like Colt McCoy leading us to victory, I almost threw up on my screen.

Actually, what I said is, if you brought in McCoy and let him do nothing, IT INCREASES our chances to win. I didn't say we should have brought in McCoy.

We were winning the game in case you forgot....

when you said colt mccoy, all credibility was lost in my opinion
Originally posted by crabman82:
Why must everything 49ers be in direct result of Seattle....???

HOLY f**k it gets old, f**k Seattle, we ROLLED their ass, if not for a 5 min span of Kaep, mental breakdown we EASILY win that game.th

Move on, there's other teams we need to focus on more........Two of which in our own Division.

its the early 90's all over again. every move we make or they make the first question will be how does that apply to the rivalry. it was like that with dallas and now again with seattle.

I get that it's a rivalry, but some people act like they're the almighty NFL standard and rule of thumb....

Every move the Niners make must have some direct effect regarding Seattle.......GTFO....we will thump the s**t out of those fuqqsticks this year as long as we stay healthy and as long as our franchise QB grows and learns from the past two season ending mistakes.

Exatcly. It was Seattle's year. You could tell from their first game of the season against Carolina when they were about to lose, and the Panthers RB fumbled the ball on the 2 yard line with 2 minutes left. Gifts like that, like the 3 turnover gifts that Kap gave them in the NFCCG are big reasons why they won. We dominated their asses in that game, but when it's your season, it's your season.
Originally posted by tondiman:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Why must everything 49ers be in direct result of Seattle....???

HOLY f**k it gets old, f**k Seattle, we ROLLED their ass, if not for a 5 min span of Kaep, mental breakdown we EASILY win that game.th

Move on, there's other teams we need to focus on more........Two of which in our own Division.

its the early 90's all over again. every move we make or they make the first question will be how does that apply to the rivalry. it was like that with dallas and now again with seattle.

I get that it's a rivalry, but some people act like they're the almighty NFL standard and rule of thumb....

Every move the Niners make must have some direct effect regarding Seattle.......GTFO....we will thump the s**t out of those fuqqsticks this year as long as we stay healthy and as long as our franchise QB grows and learns from the past two season ending mistakes.

Exatcly. It was Seattle's year. You could tell from their first game of the season against Carolina when they were about to lose, and the Panthers RB fumbled the ball on the 2 yard line with 2 minutes left. Gifts like that, like the 3 turnover gifts that Kap gave them in the NFCCG are big reasons why they won. We dominated their asses in that game, but when it's your season, it's your season.

In fact I predict a shutout of them this year. I also am not so sure they make the playoffs.
CWin4949, you've got at least two fundamental problems here:

1. You're suggesting that the Niners would have had a better chance of winning the last Championship game if they had taken the player responsible for 92% of their offense out and replaced him with Colt McCoy.

2. SanDiego49er agrees with you - that alone should send up a huge red flag.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:

of course this is the truth,, how many times did we say last year,, how the f**k can they be so lucky. some of the retard things teams did to give them games was stunning. that can not happen two years in a row. we almost won the game but when we could not cash in the fumble early and got three instead of 7, that made me nervous from the get go
Originally posted by irief:
We keep hearing that we need a speed guy on the outside to keep defenses honest and to stretch the field. Also this being the reason we lost to the Seahawks, and that this would close the gap between us and them. I disagree with this premise. There are many factors that led to our loss, and I also don't agree that there even was gap between us an them. In fact, i believe the Niners were the better team towards the end of last year. These are a few reasons that people dont consider:

• We had to go on the road and play in one of the coldest games in one of the toughest stadiums in NFL history in Greenbay. Then we had to travel clear across the country and play at the homefield of the hottest team in the NFL in Carolina, who has one of the most physical and punishing teams. This whole series of events all boils down to one really stupid penalty called on A Brooks in the New Orleans game. All of this before we went into play in Seattle's stadium (which I think has such an unfair homefield advantage that I believe it actually impacts the integrity of the game). If that call wasn't made, there's a decent chance that the niners would be hoisting the Lombardi trophy. Winning the superbowl given this road schedule would have been a feet for the ages, and would have been one of the most respected wins in history.
  • In spite of all of the adversity from the first point, things were looking good until we lost the run games spear point in Mike Iupati. This affected the life blood of the niners, the run game.
  • The defensive front decided to stop playing on that off sides call when Wilson though it through Rogers hands for a touchdown on fourth down.
  • We couldn't properly protect Kap throughout the game, especially after Iupati went down. See what happened when Wilson had all day to run around and hit is receiver for a long bomb. It wasn't necessarily a burner that got open deep.
  • Some of Kap's decision make was questionable down the stretch.
  • Long kick off return allowed.

These are some of the points to consider before jumping on the speed bandwagon. I have no doubt that the niners, especially with a healthy Bowman and available A Smith, would take Seattle down. Especially with the addition of Stevie Johnson. Our bigger problem was not the deep passing game, but was not being able to capitalize on the intermediate passes in the middle of the field, where Johnson can definitely help.
"O" thanks for reminding me of the bad memories... Peace... Peace... No more bad memories lol

They got a last minute gift in Carolina and let's not forget the last minute gift in Houston. It was their year. I've never said they were any kind of juggernaut. All I'm saying is that the Niners have to win the division and when you look at the other three teams you've got to rank them as Seahawks, Cards, Rams in order of challenge.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Constantine:
"O" thanks for reminding me of the bad memories... Peace... Peace... No more bad memories lol

more good memories than bad in regards to last year for me. i thought we were dead in the water at 1-2, so proud of the team for overcoming so much to get so far. so proud of them for overcoming bowmans injury to get the ball back and then march down the field to almost pull it off.it was so damn cold in iowa and watching those two playoff games with green bay and the panthers with chili and little smokies were great memories!! by the way when you make little smokies on game day, put two bit tablespoons of grape jelly in with your bbq sauce
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
They got a last minute gift in Carolina and let's not forget the last minute gift in Houston. It was their year. I've never said they were any kind of juggernaut. All I'm saying is that the Niners have to win the division and when you look at the other three teams you've got to rank them as Seahawks, Cards, Rams in order of challenge.

they were so f**king lucky last year,, better be lucky than good i guess ,, but that stuff will not happen two years in a row
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for crake49.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by crake49:

they were so f**king lucky last year,, better be lucky than good i guess ,, but that stuff will not happen two years in a row

No, the laws of probability would say it wouldn't. By contrast, the Niners had three or four screw-jobs. Even if you don't count the melt-down trying to come back in Seattle at the end, you've got the bogus call in New Orleans, the Frank Gore dropping the floater in the same game and McDonald not being able to hold on to that perfect pass in the first Carolina game. Any one of those situations turns the season into one in which the NFC Championship game is at the Stick where the Niners would have had a much better chance. I'd like to think the Niners are going to get some breaks this year - they're due.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
A QB's actions don't exist in a bubble. For example, if a QB puts up 500 yds passing with 4 TDs including a game winner that not only tells us that he's a good QB but that his team has a s**tty defense. If the same team had a top-tier defense, that same QB could win in a blowout with just 250 yds and 2 TDs.

Kap's turnovers didn't exist in a bubble. They were the result of crappy offensive line play, defensive miscues, bad coaching and bad calls. When a QB has to come from behind in the 4th quarter he has to become a gunslinger. In the process he may turn the ball over. Fact of the matter is that if the defense didn't allow a 10+ yd gain on 3rd and long and didn't jump offside on 4th and 7, we would have gotten the ball back and the Hawks would have had 7 less points.

Come on son, we know all that obvious stuff. I hope you don't think Kaep is always going to have a perfect pocket to pass from or that Frank will be able to rush up the middle for 100+. We're not putting the loss entirely on Kaep, we're just reiterating the point that the level of execution and poise to win the Super Bowl will have to be stellar especially from our QB. And we should expect that from him.
Share 49ersWebzone