LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Fallacy of lack speed reciever and loss to Seahawks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have never once heard that the reason we lost the NFCCG was because we lacked a vertical threat/speed receiver. Never seen that once here. I've only seen it suggested as a dynamic we should add to our offense. Lots of mock drafters had us selecting a receiver while more had us selecting a DB. Just admit it, Kaep's bad decisions cost us the game and some cheating refs.
The one common theme I've seen with 49ers W/L against the tough opponents in the Harbaugh era is simply :

"Can Gore/Hunter ground game get going?"

It pretty much hinges on that. When was the last time we lost a game when Gore was 4-5 ypc?

I'm willing to bet it hasn't happened often. I used to download the 49er media guides each week in the 2011 season, and even up till then, the 49ers were something like 33-1 (maybe even undefeated) when Gore had 30+ carries. That's a little different of course than 4 ypc, but the gist is the same.

The Giants won the SB in 2011 with the 32nd ranked rushing attack. We are not a team that can thrive under that scenario (and of course, we probably could have won the SB with the 30th ranked passing offense).

So furthermore, our offense absolutely relies on our RBs being successful. Play action and a bunch of other things opens up more. If we had 4.0 ypc in the NFCC, we would have won that game comfortably.

Now, the speed receiver to help the running game I see as more valuable than to just open up the passing lanes.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on May 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM ]
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
misdirection is the key. this year we have 4 true receiving threats in crabs, boldin, johnson and vd that scare the s**t out of defenses. we wont be as predictable this year if greg roman realizes that we are stacked on offense

Bolded and underlined...

Key!

IMO the only person that can can stop the 49ers. He's had a big part in just about every significant loss in the last three years.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on May 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I have never once heard that the reason we lost the NFCCG was because we lacked a vertical threat/speed receiver. Never seen that once here. I've only seen it suggested as a dynamic we should add to our offense. Lots of mock drafters had us selecting a receiver while more had us selecting a DB. Just admit it, Kaep's bad decisions cost us the game and some cheating refs.
oh please,, no one cost us the game and the cheating refs is just silly. we lost by a few inches, plain and simple. ck made mistakes but he more than made up for them on the last drive, after somehow the d got the ball back after bowmans injury. the grit the team showed on that last drive, ck and gore almost willed us to win and in the end a few inches was it. when its all said and done we and they will be playing in that exact same game this coming year.
I think that it is a mistake to take the Seahawks lightly. Even if they have cheap advantages such as the stolen trademark or the legion of adderall addicts, what they're
doing works. The 49er offense fails miserably against their defense. If Harbaugh continues to use the same tactics the team will continue to have these close contests that leave us frustrated. They shut down our short passing attack as well as our run game. I see no reason not to try speed as a counter. Who knows maybe Stevie Johnson is the ticket.

Yes we have other obstacles but, if we can't beat Seattle in their house that's one extra loss every season that doesn't help our tram collect rings. Not to mention the way they dominate the league right now that game may decide whether we get an extra game in, or if we even make the playoffs. As of right now San Francisco @ Seattle and Seattle @ San Francisco are two of the most important games on the schedule for said teams as well as the rest of the NFC. Hell the way the league is getting more and more lopsided towards the NFC it may be a small factor in who wins the Super Bowl these next couple seasons. These two teams will contend for a few years. Maybe one will make a mistake down the line in free agency, or get screwed by a bunch of solid draft picks wanting mega deals all at the same time as they're play style gets banned from the NFL for the second time. Who knows. For now these are the top two teams in the NFC and games that include the Seahawks should be a must win for them.
Originally posted by cciowa:
oh please,, no one cost us the game and the cheating refs is just silly. we lost by a few inches, plain and simple. ck made mistakes but he more than made up for them on the last drive, after somehow the d got the ball back after bowmans injury. the grit the team showed on that last drive, ck and gore almost willed us to win and in the end a few inches was it. when its all said and done we and they will be playing in that exact same game this coming year.

What's so silly about believing refs can cheat and Kaep's bad decisions cost us the game? Any explanation is better than an oversimplified answer like we lost by "a few inches". I'm not Kaep bashing but I think people underestimate the importance of the error free football it will take to win #6. Ask Joe, ask Russell. Kaep will have to do better, but you already know this. Joe played error free and we barely won a couple of those. Those were the days.
[ Edited by T-9ers on May 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM ]
I also think the vertical threat is over hyped here. This year is very much a make or break year for kap. Carroll said it best when he said "kap is very ordinary after his first read." I'm hoping kap can react to defenses and get the ball to the proper spots faster than he has up to this point. Carson Palmer shredded the Seahawk defense (in Seattle) by using mid level and short passes throughout the game. It can be done if the QB makes the proper reads fast enough.

Originally posted by fister30:
I also think the vertical threat is over hyped here. This year is very much a make or break year for kap. Carroll said it best when he said "kap is very ordinary after his first read." I'm hoping kap can react to defenses and get the ball to the proper spots faster than he has up to this point. Carson Palmer shredded the Seahawk defense (in Seattle) by using mid level and short passes throughout the game. It can be done if the QB makes the proper reads fast enough.

We lost because we had 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter by our QB.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Why must everything 49ers be in direct result of Seattle....???

HOLY f**k it gets old, f**k Seattle, we ROLLED their ass, if not for a 5 min span of Kaep, mental breakdown we EASILY win that game.th

Move on, there's other teams we need to focus on more........Two of which in our own Division.

Kap is the only reason we were in any position to win that game in the first place. The run game was nonexistent (besides Kap), Seattle's secondary was locking down the passing game (by holding, as usual), the offensive line couldn't protect Kap long enough for the receivers to have any chance of breaking out anyway...

It's easy to sit there and blame Kaepernick, but there were many other issues that should have (and would have) taken us out of that game completely if it weren't for Kap making the plays he did.

So no, we did not "roll their ass." Kaepernick kept us alive long enough to ultimately not be able to get it done (mostly due to a nice play by Sherman, but far more importantly, another player being lucky enough to intercept the deflection).

Theoretically, a speed receiver would force their defense to protect over the top and not load the box. This could have helped the run game. Basically, there's no way to truly know how it would have affected the game, but more often than not, a deep threat would have benefited us tremendously.
[ Edited by Empire49 on May 15, 2014 at 9:47 PM ]

Originally posted by Empire49:

HOLY f**k it gets old, f**k Seattle, we ROLLED their ass, if not for a 5 min span of Kaep, mental breakdown we EASILY win that game.th

Move on, there's other teams we need to focus on more........Two of which in our own Division.

Kap is the only reason we were in any position to win that game in the first place. The run game was nonexistent (besides Kap), Seattle's secondary was locking down the passing game (by holding, as usual), the offensive line couldn't protect Kap long enough for the receivers to have any chance of breaking out anyway...

It's easy to sit there and blame Kaepernick, but there were many other issues that should have (and would have) taken us out of that game completely if it weren't for Kap making the plays he did.

So no, we did not "roll their ass."

Yeah I'm sure Kaep having 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter had absolutely nothing to do with it.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Yeah I'm sure Kaep having 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter had absolutely nothing to do with it.....

What part did you not understand?

WE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN ANY POSITION TO WIN THAT GAME IF NOT FOR KAP.

Edit: Nevermind, don't answer. Most of what you post is trolling anyway.
[ Edited by Empire49 on May 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

What part did you not understand?

WE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN ANY POSITION TO WIN THAT GAME IF NOT FOR KAP.

Edit: Nevermind, don't answer. Most of what you post is trolling anyway.

We were certainly in a position to lose because of Kaep. Minus his 3 turnovers we win hands down.

Carson Palmer finished with like 170 yards and 4 ints.

They didn't do anything offensively against Seattle, it was their defense that was fantastic that game.
Originally posted by maltz88:

Carson Palmer finished with like 170 yards and 4 ints.

They didn't do anything offensively against Seattle, it was their defense that was fantastic that game.

It was a tale of two halves. The cardinals were moving the ball against the seahawks through the air in the second half. And your right about the defense, the cardinals didn't give lynch any room at all. I remember C. Campbell having a monster game.
Share 49ersWebzone