There are 277 users in the forums

Crabb and Iupati

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by thl408:
Does anyone find it bad logic to draft a guard so high (17th overall) and not extend him? I am going on the premise that Iupati is playing in his last season as a 49er. Perhaps it's because at the time Iupati was drafted, the roster was not nearly as talented as it is now, so building around a guard was a viable option. Now that the roster has so much talent in so many areas, tough choices have to be made like not spending too much on a guard.

It seems as though Baalke places high value on interior linemen. Drafting Iupati 17th overall as well as spending high draft capital on MMartin and BThomas. It's almost a shame that Iupati is so good that he won't be retained due to cap reasons alone, but what did Baalke expect selecting the top guard prospect in the 2010 draft?

It does make sense if it's a need at the time. Though, drafting them in the first round doesn't obligate you to keep them long term.

Iupati has played well for us, and I think that had we not been in a position where we HAVE to resign key guys like Aldon, Kap, and maybe even Crabtree, our FO would've already extended him. Unfortunately, it's much easier to find a guard than it is to find a QB, DE, and WR.

It's just the way things played out.

When we drafted Iupati and A.Davis both in the 1st round, OL was our biggest problem and a huge need. Iupati was the best OG to come out in a long, long time, if he does in fact leave after this year (which I think he will) we got 5 years out of him. Our draft philosophy & execution have been great, we have got some very good players late in the draft, specificially on the OL that will allow us to pay guys at other, more key positions (QB w/the Kaep extension, eventually Aldon's ext etc) while replacing an interior OL with a very good, younger, and much cheaper player.
Want Crabtree extended to stay with Kaepernick.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Want Crabtree extended to stay with Kaepernick.

True DAT because it is just hard as f*** to find a number one WR in FA or the draft because every essentially every team had identified the same guy as a must have. We've drafted Crabtree and we need to keep him. I also like how Jed sent 49ers studio down to DAL to chronicle Crabtree football camp and the way they've acknowledged how we are treating him with kid gloves entering this season. Almost like we have an understanding with him as to playing this year, him proving it and us paying him...I hope! I am hopeful we can work something out because I like what Crabtree brings to the table
Too early to say what is going to happen, if Crabtree has a monster year, if he misses any games, this will determine if he signs or walks. Also depends on how well Stevie Johnson plays, for the same reason, even though Johnson is signed for three seasons, if they decide to use his money to get crabs signed cause it is reasonable then they will. If crabs wants ridiculous money, then let him walk, cause crabs has not exactly been healthy and as he gets older it is only going to get worse.

With that said why trade either guy, Crabs an Iupati are a known quantity, the others are not, not with the niners system anyway, plus who is going to give you a good pick knowing that there is only 1 year and he is gone? Unless the other team comes to terms which they will not. Play for the season and the lombardi, not the draft pick, depending who the niners in FA sign, chances are we will get two 3 round comp picks, for the two.
Crabs was born with blue star PJ's on. He want's nothing more then to be a Dallas Cowboy, if Jerry Jones comes up with a deal that's even a bit less then any other team offers he's gone.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Jerry is going to be all up on Crabs crouch. No way he's not a Cowboy in 2015.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Won't be able to afford him. If he ends up playing for any Texas teams, more than likely it'll be the Texans.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Won't be able to afford him. If he ends up playing for any Texas teams, more than likely it'll be the Texans.

Might as well send Patrick Willis too since he is a Cowboys fan you cry baby fans have NOTHING better than speculate than be realistic. Crabs is NOT going to a dysfunctional team like the Cowboys you guys should be BANNED for stupidity
Originally posted by matt49er:
When we drafted Iupati and A.Davis both in the 1st round, OL was our biggest problem and a huge need. Iupati was the best OG to come out in a long, long time, if he does in fact leave after this year (which I think he will) we got 5 years out of him. Our draft philosophy & execution have been great, we have got some very good players late in the draft, specificially on the OL that will allow us to pay guys at other, more key positions (QB w/the Kaep extension, eventually Aldon's ext etc) while replacing an interior OL with a very good, younger, and much cheaper player.

Excellent call!

It's always a crap shoot and nobody really knows.

IMO, if Crabs misses games due to any foot injuries he won't get a huge deal from us.

Getting 5 years out of the Iupati draft-pick was excellent and we'll also get a compensation draft pick when he leaves.

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Constantine:
If both cant happen then I hope Iupati stays

Crabtree is still an unproven due to injurys and miss playing time...
Iupati is proven, and he is proven is a very good player and is improving with age...
Keep Iupati let Crabtree walk... Crabtree character has proven he will be more of a heart ache later then Iupati will... Lets not waist any more time or money
Now if Crabtree will come reasonable then maybe, but I would fight to keep Iupati,
Why would you not?
I read about the first three sentences of the oeiginal post....then I threw up in my mouth and hit reply so if im beating a dead horse please excuse me. If we dont have crabtree this up coming season there is no way we contend for a title. Take all this trade crabtree talk and shove it. The goal of football, for those of you with a vague understanding, is to win championships. Without Crabtree we dont come close. Someone end this stupidity.
[ Edited by AZ9erfan520 on Jun 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Might as well send Patrick Willis too since he is a Cowboys fan you cry baby fans have NOTHING better than speculate than be realistic. Crabs is NOT going to a dysfunctional team like the Cowboys you guys should be BANNED for stupidity

Ok now do your non-overreaction impression.
Share 49ersWebzone