LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Crabb and Iupati

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Option C, neither Quest. Iupati isn't as good as people think he is. I rather let him walk, Thomas is gonna be a beast in the NFL.

Ehhhhh
I love Iupati, but I would rather see Thomas start over him for salary cap reasons. I think both Crabs and Pati are going to demand big paydays...
But I do agree with you, I don't think we sign either one of them back (unless Crabs has a lights out season)
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Option C, neither Quest. Iupati isn't as good as people think he is. I rather let him walk, Thomas is gonna be a beast in the NFL.

Ehhhhh
I love Iupati, but I would rather see Thomas start over him for salary cap reasons. I think both Crabs and Pati are going to demand big paydays...
But I do agree with you, I don't think we sign either one of them back (unless Crabs has a lights out season)

A lot will have to do with how much Kap gets per year. It could come down to Kap, Aldon, and a guy or 2 like Dorsey and Cully over Crabs, Iupati, and past FAs like Goldson, Whitner, Delanie, etc... I rather keep the younger guys with high upside like Kap and Aldon. I loved the Dorsey move, wished it was a 3yr deal when signed. And Cully I hope gets his head on straight, and gets extended before 2014, we can lower his base salary back down and use the difference as part of his signing bonus.
On the other hand with Dorsey, if he has a great year, he may want Tyson Jackson money, which was 5yr $25M I believe, which in that case I rather let him walk, and draft a big NT in 2015. I'm hoping we strike a few deals before september, Kap, Cully and Dorsey. Leaves Aldon to get done after 2014 when we know if he has changed, or not.

Minor guys like Skuta, who is well worth a roster spot, and I would love to get re-signed, and Spillman also. But I have a freaky feeling both could be surprise cuts, which I would hate big time.
The Franchise Tag for Iupati next year couldnt be that high... right?
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

11.6 mill for an offensive lineman in 2014. Might be more next year.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

11.6 mill for an offensive lineman in 2014. Might be more next year.

Yikes. Does the franchise tag distinguish guards from tackles and centers, or do all offensive lineman have the same price tag?
  • titan
  • Veteran
I really think it depends on how Crabs performs this season.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Iupati is solid in the run game, but really struggles in the passing game. I think we can get by without him.
  • thl408
Does anyone find it bad logic to draft a guard so high (17th overall) and not extend him? I am going on the premise that Iupati is playing in his last season as a 49er. Perhaps it's because at the time Iupati was drafted, the roster was not nearly as talented as it is now, so building around a guard was a viable option. Now that the roster has so much talent in so many areas, tough choices have to be made like not spending too much on a guard.

It seems as though Baalke places high value on interior linemen. Drafting Iupati 17th overall as well as spending high draft capital on MMartin and BThomas. It's almost a shame that Iupati is so good that he won't be retained due to cap reasons alone, but what did Baalke expect selecting the top guard prospect in the 2010 draft?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
I really think it depends on how Crabs performs this season.

if johnson has a nice year, we can get boldin for one more year and the two kids have productive bodies of work, sure i would take a chance and dump crabs. same for Mike L. I like him but again maybe the kid we drafted shows us something that will allow us to dump him to. that is why drafting smart is pretty big to our long term success because in todays nfl, you pretty much know you have to replace people as the years go .

Originally posted by thl408:
Does anyone find it bad logic to draft a guard so high (17th overall) and not extend him? I am going on the premise that Iupati is playing in his last season as a 49er. Perhaps it's because at the time Iupati was drafted, the roster was not nearly as talented as it is now, so building around a guard was a viable option. Now that the roster has so much talent in so many areas, tough choices have to be made like not spending too much on a guard.

It seems as though Baalke places high value on interior linemen. Drafting Iupati 17th overall as well as spending high draft capital on MMartin and BThomas. It's almost a shame that Iupati is so good that he won't be retained due to cap reasons alone, but what did Baalke expect selecting the top guard prospect in the 2010 draft?

It does make sense if it's a need at the time. Though, drafting them in the first round doesn't obligate you to keep them long term.

Iupati has played well for us, and I think that had we not been in a position where we HAVE to resign key guys like Aldon, Kap, and maybe even Crabtree, our FO would've already extended him. Unfortunately, it's much easier to find a guard than it is to find a QB, DE, and WR.

It's just the way things played out.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Iupati is solid in the run game, but really struggles in the passing game. I think we can get by without him.

When describing his play last season you are spot on though his injuries definitely did not help. In his 60 consecutive games prior to his injuries last season his run blocking was very good and he was solid in pass protection.

I would like to see him getting an extension but I´m not sure that it´s possible at this point.

Either way I expect another Pro Bowl season from Iupati this year and with the addition of Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas our OL is in really good condition, even if Iupati walks.
[ Edited by DeUh on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM ]
Both OG and WR, we have drafted into those positions. It gives us some negotiating clout and sends the message: "If you think more of yourself than we do, we will let you walk and have a plan in place for such an event".

With many more receiving targets and presumption of Crabtree won't receive nearly 50% of the passes. His numbers won't be stellar to demand top WR money. Niners will almost assuredly point out that his numbers greatly increased with Kap at the helm and he should understand that under a different QB, he needs to consider he could go back to being an average WR.

I would think a savvy agent/player might see advantages staying with a SB contender and small short extension, hoping for a SB ring in the next 2-3 years, then cashing in big after.
If both cant happen then I hope Iupati stays
Originally posted by Constantine:
If both cant happen then I hope Iupati stays

Share 49ersWebzone