There are 250 users in the forums

Crabb and Iupati

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
How the hell does Kap bashing make this thread and how does a guy 1.5 years in starting with a 4-2 playoff 3-1 road and two playoff road comebacks be a choker? How do you eliminate Rodgers twice and once at Lambeau and be a choker? This is about Crab and Iupati. We will try to keep both and the cap is rising. Let us wait and see. Kap is getting paid and Aldon will as well. Will Crab and Iupati?

Holy Crap thank you.

Guy is just a kid. He has won road playoff games in both seasons he has played and been to a Super Bowl. The last Niner QB to accomplish that much is commentating for ESPN right now and is over 50 years old. Calling Kaep a choker is like being a Hags fan, anyone who does it can GTFO.

I thought this was about Crabs and Iupati. To which I say keep them while they can and try to sign Iupati, the Crabtree money is going to be off the charts and the team just won't see the value regardless of his talent level.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Trade Crabtree, lol. Lock this s**t up.

This
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
why cause Iupati was a 1st rd pick? And Boone an UDFA? Boone is superior, cause he is a better blocker, protector, and more versatile. Iupati is highly overrated. He was solid the first few years, but slowed down.

And don't say Pro Bowl's cause that's a popularity contest. Boone would make a Pro Bowl over Iupati if the voting wasn't so 1 sided.

Iupati sets blocks that wins game. The one he set on Kuechly for example. When they need a critical gain, they're running left. When it comes to contract time, you'll find out who NFL GM's feel is better. They ought to know, they're going to watch all the tape. If Boone is better, a GM out will recognize it and pay him more than Iupati. Not bagging Boone, he's excellent value, but Iupati is a special run blocker, dominant.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Iupati sets blocks that wins game. The one he set on Kuechly for example. When they need a critical gain, they're running left. When it comes to contract time, you'll find out who NFL GM's feel is better. They ought to know, they're going to watch all the tape. If Boone is better, a GM out will recognize it and pay him more than Iupati. Not bagging Boone, he's excellent value, but Iupati is a special run blocker, dominant.

Getting beat on pass pro also loses games.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Getting beat on pass pro also loses games.

That's exactly why Iupati needs to stay. He's the best guard in football when he's healthy. He had one injury-plagued year, but he's about as safe an investment as you're going to find in the NFL.

The production of wide receivers over the course of 3 to 5 years is VERY sporadic compared to the production of offensive linemen over the same time span. And offensive linemen hit their absolute peaks at a later age than wide receivers do. In fact, offensive linemen have the best production relative to other positions in their 30's of any position in the NFL except QB.

Also, the best offensive lines are the ones who have played together the longest. Wide receivers just run rountes; offensive linemen have to know if they are responsible for a blitz pickup or if the guy next to him or RB is.

The 49ers have had the best OL in football over the last few year. THE BEST! Do they really want to break that up? And they have the best OL in football with a craptacular center for the last 2 years (Goodwin). Imagnine how good it'll be when they put in the supremely talented Marcus Martin in there by 2015 at the latest! It'd be like the Cowboys in the 90's. And the Cowboys' OL in the 90's was downright demoralizing. I friggn' hated those guys.
^^ VP, though I agree with your appeal to keep Iupati, I don't see it happening. Not because they don't want him, but because they won't be able to afford him...plain and simple. The drafting of Thomas this year was essentially an acknowledgement of that reality.

Guys they'll definitely find a way to keep/extend:
Kap, Aldon (extension after this year is likely), Jerod-Eddie (ERFA)

Unsure if they'll extend/let walk:
Cully, Dorsey

Guys they can't afford/likely won't bring back after 2014:
Crabby, Iupati, Hunter, Skuta, Spillman, Snyder, Gabbert, Wilhoite
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^ VP, though I agree with your appeal to keep Iupati, I don't see it happening. Not because they don't want him, but because they won't be able to afford him...plain and simple. The drafting of Thomas this year was essentially an acknowledgement of that reality.

Totally agree, but I hope you're wrong. I'm more than willing to see the team part with Ahmad Brooks in the offseason to make room for Iupati. It's win-win because I think Lemonier will be better than Brooks (although Brooks is great), and I don't think there's any way Thomas (whom I like a lot) will be anywhere near as good as Iupati in the next 2 or 3 years.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Guys they'll definitely find a way to keep/extend:
Kap, Aldon (extension after this year is likely), Jerod-Eddie (ERFA)

Unsure if they'll extend/let walk:
Cully, Dorsey

Guys they can't afford/likely won't bring back after 2014:
Crabby, Iupati, Hunter, Skuta, Spillman, Snyder, Gabbert, Wilhoite

Cully and Hunter we need to keep. The cap is going up and we will try for Crab And Iupati. After 2014 Hunter will be the only RB we will have to pay and I sense an extension for both he and Cully by mid season if we can do it. It makes sense to try and I foresee a Hunter Lattimore Hyde stable of backs and Cully will start at CB for us the next few years.
Totally agree the Niners need to keep Cully & Hunter. In fact, I think the Niners need to extend Culliver's deal before the season starts even with his legal issue pending. He won't get paid if he's suspended or in jail anyway.
Sorry, Iupati won't be back. Thomas would of been an early 2nd rd pick, he could play LT, he is that good. He will be an amazing LG IMO in 2015.

Boone is more versatile, and just as young. He has more upside IMO. Iupati is bad in pass protection. But he is injury prone at times.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
There not going to pay Iupati more than they pay Staley.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Sorry, Iupati won't be back. Thomas would of been an early 2nd rd pick, he could play LT, he is that good. He will be an amazing LG IMO in 2015.

Boone is more versatile, and just as young. He has more upside IMO. Iupati is bad in pass protection. But he is injury prone at times.
Do you think we keep Crab? If not there seems to be a glutton of free agent talent at WR next off season. We might upgrade or we can leverage those guys with Crabtree.
Originally posted by mayo49:
There not going to pay Iupati more than they pay Staley.

I agree. They might let Mike Iupati walk then bump up Staley a bit while looking to extend Boone cheaper than Iupati. Then we got Thomas coming in and whomever else we draft next year. We won't go crazy on a G
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Totally agree, but I hope you're wrong. I'm more than willing to see the team part with Ahmad Brooks in the offseason to make room for Iupati. It's win-win because I think Lemonier will be better than Brooks (although Brooks is great), and I don't think there's any way Thomas (whom I like a lot) will be anywhere near as good as Iupati in the next 2 or 3 years.

I agree with this.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
I don't think he'll be back. I think it's why they brought Johnson in. Another route they could go is spread the ball around to Crabtree, Boldin and Johnson in so limiting Crabs stats this year and lowering his market value (making it easier to resign him). That might happen naturally (wont need to be some "conspiracy") but it remains to be seen if Kap can spread the ball around like that or if he'll latch onto Crabtree. I like Crabtree so I wish him the best of luck getting as much money as he possibly can I just dont think SF will be making the highest offer. If we do manage to hold onto him we're in great shape going into 2015. Especially if Boldin can retain most of his game.

I'm just psyched for this season, I REALLY hope Johnson pushes our passing game into the next level- if we dont improve our passing game some serious thinking needs to take place concerning Roman....and possibly Kaepernick. My money is on Kap improving in the pocket but Roman's so-so play calling has me worried. Another aspect is how Johnson produced in Buffalo, he didn't really stick to designed routes all the time- he had freedom to just wing it which is why some of the better CB's had trouble covering him (those who study tape like savages). I think that success, in part, was because Fitzpatrick would work with that and keep an eye on him as his "wing it" routes developed. I'm not so sure Kap will have that connection with Stevie. I sure hope it develops.

And even though people hate on Lloyd I personally would have loved to have him on the team last season for the first half of the season when Williams, Baldwin and anyone not named Boldin was stinking up the field. I mean, think if Tom Brady had Davis, Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson and Lloyd! With the ammount of 3 and 4 WR sets NE plays it would be insane. I really like Patton but would like to see us attempt more 3 and 4 WR sets with that line-up. I dont think Ellington will do much year one. Christ, all I know is our offense should take off this season and if it doesn't there's going to be a lot of fingerpointing- someones head will need to roll.

(Romans)
Share 49ersWebzone