There are 162 users in the forums

Crabb and Iupati

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NJNiner:
What are the chances that Crabs gets the franchise tag next year?

Still be a boatload of money. It is over 12 million this year for a WR. Might be more next year.
We did trade for Johnson and draft Ellington, but remember Boldin is only going to be here for another year or two. It would be a mistake to let Crabtree go. Iupati on the other hand? He's a GREAT run blocker but his time is up after this season.
Yes, trade the best WR this team has had since T.O.................not sure if cereal.
I'm pretty sure both will be gone, but I'm really hoping they keep Iupati. He's worth the money. The NFCCG started to go bad the instant he broke his leg.

Iupati had one injury-plagued year, but he's still the most talented guard in the NFL. And the OL is the engine that makes the team go IMO. A Harbaugh offense cannot do well without a great O-line.

Crabtree, on the other hand, is a slow receiver turning 27 in September with a history of foot / Achilles injuries. And top-end receivers cost double-digit millions. I'd much rather spend that money on the best guard in football and rely on Stevie than like the 25th-best receiver in the NFL and rely on Brandon Thomas (even though I think Thomas was a great pick).

This is under the assumption Martin will be the starting C by no later than next year.

I'd also be more than willing to sacrifice Brooks to keep Iupati next year considering the fact that Lemonier is a future QB-eating monster.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on May 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I'm pretty sure both will be gone, but I'm really hoping they keep Iupati. He's worth the money. The NFCCG started to go bad the instant he broke his leg.

Iupati had one injury-plagued year, but he's still the most talented guard in the NFL. And the OL is the engine that makes the team go IMO. A Harbaugh offense cannot do well without a great O-line.

Crabtree, on the other hand, is a slow receiver turning 27 in September with a history of foot / Achilles injuries. And top-end receivers cost double-digit millions. I'd much rather spend that money on the best guard in football and rely on Stevie than like the 25th-best receiver in the NFL and rely on Brandon Thomas (even though I think Thomas was a great pick).

This is under the assumption Martin will be the starting C by no later than next year.

I'd also be more than willing to sacrifice Brooks to keep Iupati next year considering the fact that Lemonier is a future QB-eating monster.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. Crab it not that important to this team. Iupati is.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think they're both gone. They don't like to pay their OG more than their OT and Crabtree is not worth $10M+ a year.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:
With the Steve Johnson trade, and the drafting of another WR and two OL, could this be a sign of the END for both Crabtree and Iupati??

Would it be wise to trade Crabb now to a team like Cleveland who needs a big time WR w/the suspension of their young wideout??

As for Iupati, we drafted two OL as well as having the insurance in Martin and Loomey, why not trade him to a team that needs them OL so badly in Pittsburgh.

We may still resign Crabtree. If we don't we may have the option of franchising him for 1 more year. That would give us 2 seasons with him to shoot for the ring. We still want to win now as well as build for the future. Maybe if they offered us 1st and 2nd rd picks but I don't see that happening. As for Iupati we need him this year as well. our replacements are rookies and not ready to take over for him.
Who would give us anything worthwhile for a player on the last year of their contract expected to demand a big payday next year? Let's go for 6 while we have this total stud roster and keep planning for the future.
And the future looks bright, I gotta wear . . .
We will get two very nice 3rd round compensatory picks for them in 2016!
At times I feel 49er fans greatly under value Crabtree. The guy is a stud and Im thrilled he is a 49er.

Lupati situation aa a sad scenario. We nailed that draft and because of the salary cap, we will have to let a damn good(and young) player go.

I will say however with the salary cap rising we just might be able to keep one or both of them. We can only hope!
Crabs is playing for a new contract...he's gonna be awesome!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I will say however with the salary cap rising we just might be able to keep one or both of them. We can only hope!

Bingo. The rising salary cap gives me hope that we will keep one or the other. At this moment, I would say that Iupati is likely gone and Crabtree is 50/50.
As valuable as Crabtree is, I would sign Iupati first. The offensive line is the biggest reason we are the most talented team in the league and Mike is the best player on it. He is a once in a generation talent at the position. Crabtree still hasn't lived up to his potential, and gets hurt too much.

I am leery of the QB situation. We are stuck in an awful position where we either pay him now and pray that he isn't McNabb and not capable of winning a ring........or we don't and if he wins it we are f#$%ed, stuck with either losing him or paying insane money that would cripple the team like Baltimore.

Clutch is there or it isn't, you don't become a winner later in your career. You are either Peyton or Eli. So far Colin is Peyton.
Originally posted by Ripamaru:
As valuable as Crabtree is, I would sign Iupati first. The offensive line is the biggest reason we are the most talented team in the league and Mike is the best player on it. He is a once in a generation talent at the position. Crabtree still hasn't lived up to his potential, and gets hurt too much.

I am leery of the QB situation. We are stuck in an awful position where we either pay him now and pray that he isn't McNabb and not capable of winning a ring........or we don't and if he wins it we are f#$%ed, stuck with either losing him or paying insane money that would cripple the team like Baltimore.

Clutch is there or it isn't, you don't become a winner later in your career. You are either Peyton or Eli. So far Colin is Peyton.

x10000000000000000
Share 49ersWebzone