LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

49ers sign Josh Johnson, cut Tupou

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Normally I would agree that Johnson wins 2nd or he is gone, but on this instance don't think so. Harbs has had very little time with Gabbert. Possible he wants a 3rd with a little more experience in his system incase Gabbert takes a bit to acclimate.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM ]
I think Gabbert will do just fine with Harbaugh. The guy was not a perfect prospect coming out of college, but most of the draft "experts" had him very highly rated. The kid has talent. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gabbert develop into the player many thought he had the promise to be coming out of college. But Josh Johnson knows Harbaugh's system and will probably have the inside track on No. 2, at least coming out of preseason.
Gabbert may very well be a very good LT QB backup. But based on his recent performances, he is not ready now. That was my concern during the draft and after, that we have a PROJECT backup, but nobody ready to come in and pinch hit for a short term Kap injury. Long term kap injury we are screwed, so we just have to hope that doesn't happen. But short term, hammy, high ankle, etc, say 4 weeks, we need a guy who can come in and at least beat the non elite teams. That is my idea of a backup and until Josh got signed , I don't think we had one. And it had to be a QB with experience, not a draftee. So now , I think we are good. Of course, I would be delighted to see gabbert come in and beat Josh like a poor step child. Then we would know. But I just don't see that happening.
If I was him I would quit signing with the 49ers. I will give him credit though for knowing his role. He knows he will never make the team but he knows the offense and is the qb for the rest of the team to learn the offense from without sacraficing ck. I guess you got to love his team player attitude. The 49ers need to quit using him though
Definitely can use the depth.
Tards just signed this Tupou off waivers LOL. Trying to be Seaturds 2.0, losers.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Gabbert may very well be a very good LT QB backup. But based on his recent performances, he is not ready now. That was my concern during the draft and after, that we have a PROJECT backup, but nobody ready to come in and pinch hit for a short term Kap injury. Long term kap injury we are screwed, so we just have to hope that doesn't happen. But short term, hammy, high ankle, etc, say 4 weeks, we need a guy who can come in and at least beat the non elite teams. That is my idea of a backup and until Josh got signed , I don't think we had one. And it had to be a QB with experience, not a draftee. So now , I think we are good. Of course, I would be delighted to see gabbert come in and beat Josh like a poor step child. Then we would know. But I just don't see that happening.

Harbs had even less time with Alex Smith in 2011 and turned him around just fine and he needed AS to start. I think Gabbert will be fine as our backup. JJ is a good #3 for this team given his style of play and familiarity with the offense.
No future in JJ. If Faulkner can make the PS lets do that and go with 2 QBs ... or just keep Faulkner as the #3
Johnson is insurance if Gabbert is a slow learner.
Welcome. Back... mr. j

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Would rather have Troy Smith

don't say that.

Harbaugh might hear you and get ideas.
Buff, I am fine with that. But remember he is a rook and this O is not that easy to learn. It has to take time, and then practice. I look forward to seeing Faulkner, but doubt JH would want him as our #1 backup until after a yr or so. Just an opinion
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I feel better with this guy as the #2 than Gabbert.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Normally I would agree that Johnson wins 2nd or he is gone, but on this instance don't think so. Harbs has had very little time with Gabbert. Possible he wants a 3rd with a little more experience in his system incase Gabbert takes a bit to acclimate.

this. Even if Faulkner performs we might stash him at ps and have a veteran at the 2nd and 3rd string spots.
Share 49ersWebzone