LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

49ers sign Josh Johnson, cut Tupou

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How did Harbaugh F*** it up the first time?? I think Tolzien was the right pick (cheap and more than capable of filling in). Johnson hasn't done squat in this league, I don't know where all the man-love is coming from, at least Gabbert has a 300 yard game under his belt and it was against Green Bay nonetheless. I got faith in Gabbert, if Harbaugh can fix Alex Smith, he can fix Gabbert. After all we all seen what Josh Johnson has to offer, 4 teams and can't seem to really stick.

I think Tolzien proved in GB he was not more then capable of filling in. He had 1 TD and 5 INTs with a 66 QB rating last year. And was benched mid game for Matt Flynn after going 7 for 17 for 98 yards and never played again.
Originally posted by Jcool:
How did Harbaugh F*** it up the first time?? I think Tolzien was the right pick (cheap and more than capable of filling in). Johnson hasn't done squat in this league, I don't know where all the man-love is coming from, at least Gabbert has a 300 yard game under his belt and it was against Green Bay nonetheless. I got faith in Gabbert, if Harbaugh can fix Alex Smith, he can fix Gabbert. After all we all seen what Josh Johnson has to offer, 4 teams and can't seem to really stick.

I think Tolzien proved in GB he was not more then capable of filling in. He had 1 TD and 5 INTs with a 66 QB rating last year. And was benched mid game for Matt Flynn after going 7 for 17 for 98 yards and never played again.

Ouch.

And to your previous question Kolohe, i think Harbaugh needs to stick with one guy, and continue to develop him. He was up against the roster cutdown date and got rid of the (qbs) Johnson and Daniels who clearly were more productive last preseason. Of course Harbaugh seen something in Tolzein, which explains why he was the guy we kept, but us fans never saw what Harbaugh did. So IMO, i think Johnson was always the better choice because of arm strength, agility, experience under Harbaugh, similar skillset to Kaep, and production on the field.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

ahh, the return of the tolzien the great right there along side of nate davis
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Tolzien looked the part of exactly that a back up, GB was looking to find a QB to solidify the QB position since Rogers went down. I also don't think his decision making would've been that horrid under Harbaugh/Roman see - Alex Smith 2011. I watched that game vs. NYG, it seemed like McCarthy told Tolzien just to let it rip and you could tell Tolzien and the receiver were not on the same page. I don't think that would've been the case with 49er receivers.

Btw Tolzien's second start vs. NYG he went - 24/34 70.59% comp pct 339 yards

Tolziens first start vs. Philly he went - 24/39 61.54% comp pct 280 yards

How is that NOT capable, INT's do not tell the whole story, besides for only starting 3 games REALLY, that's frickin awesome.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:

Gee I haven't heard you say that before cc, gee when did you become so sarcastic.
Johnson fits our O better than Tolzien.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am not convinced that playing musical chairs with back-up quarterbacks has any utility.

I hope this game does not continue like it did last year.

I just what to see Harbaugh spend time coaching-up the quarterbacks on the roster.
[ Edited by buck on May 16, 2014 at 11:06 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

Gee I haven't heard you say that before cc, gee when did you become so sarcastic.
its a hard thing to adapt to but I am doing my best
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Tolzien looked the part of exactly that a back up, GB was looking to find a QB to solidify the QB position since Rogers went down. I also don't think his decision making would've been that horrid under Harbaugh/Roman see - Alex Smith 2011. I watched that game vs. NYG, it seemed like McCarthy told Tolzien just to let it rip and you could tell Tolzien and the receiver were not on the same page. I don't think that would've been the case with 49er receivers.

How is that NOT capable, INT's do not tell the whole story, besides for only starting 3 games REALLY, that's frickin awesome.

Again if he was so capable he wouldn't have been pulled midway though a game he was struggling in. Also yards and completions are meaningless if they aren't leading to touchdowns. Against NYG his QB rating was 70.5 & against Philly his QB ratings was 65.7. And his record after those starts 0-2.
NEVER been impressed w/JJ.

BUT, without a doubt, he's a better back-up than anyone on the roster.

Another good move Trent!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
NEVER been impressed w/JJ.

BUT, without a doubt, he's a better back-up than anyone on the roster.

Another good move Trent!

hey,, at least we are not doing this stuff in the middle of the season. when they did that last year in the middle of the bullets flying,, it just created a perception that we had no clue what was going on. it also distracted me from yelling at roman . its just like the cornerbacks we have,, just line em up and let em duke it out.unless you are michael sams, you will earn and deserve your spot through in squad competition. i thought long and hard before i hit send but what the hell
and the QB carousel continues...

Again if he was so capable he wouldn't have been pulled midway though a game he was struggling in. Also yards and completions are meaningless if they aren't leading to touchdowns. Against NYG his QB rating was 70.5 & against Philly his QB ratings was 65.7. And his record after those starts 0-2.

Based on performance, Johnson was clearly the better QB between him and Tolzien in 2012...but JJ got cut because the 49ers weren't going to pay him something like 3x more than Tolzien to be the 3rd QB.

I believe the backup job is Gabbert's to lose...I think HarBaalke & Co. see him as a young QB with the tools that made him a top prospect, but was in a terrible situation with Jax...but with their care & feeding + a significantly better roster, he could be the guy that sticks around for more than a year as the backup. He will have to be fall-down terrible, and Johnson/other will have to light it up for Gabbert to not get the job. And that said, if Gabbert is the #2, even if JJ plays well, I doubt Niners keep him as the 3...even at vet minimum, he's going to cost a lot more than a much "newer" player.
Ah thank God, a quarterback controversy. Knew there was something missing from our lives! Let the battle for who holds the clipboard commence. And Webzone meltdown in 10, 9, 8......
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Ah thank God, a quarterback controversy. Knew there was something missing from our lives! Let the battle for who holds the clipboard commence. And Webzone meltdown in 10, 9, 8......

it is a interesting battle but far from historic despite what some think. i am not sure if any of our possible backup candidates have achieved nate davis and tolzien status but the off season is still young. i just have a feeling this will morph into a alex vs ck thread
Share 49ersWebzone