LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

49ers sign Josh Johnson, cut Tupou

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree with this. They missed out on Pryor to put pressure on Gabbert so now they have Johnson & they can get him to reduce that $2 million down to a reasonable amount. If he plays well so be it, if not they can cut his a$$!

I'll just say that I think if JJ can pick up the offense from where he left off in 2012- backup QB-wise we're in good shape. If in addition he can free up some cap space, then even better.

Agree. If he can outplay Gabbert & also save us some cap space that would be great. Going to be a fun training camp!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Why? What's the point?

Everytime Harbs signs him then cuts him, he lands a job on another team. Harbs is just making sure he gets paid a lil somethin somethin... gotta look out for all his pupils. See how he hooked up Alex Smith (still getting paid/still a sarter)
[ Edited by LVJay on May 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
As before I think he has to win the #2 job or he is out.

I think he has a good chance of doing so. He's fairly young still around 27. One year older than Colin. Baine and Kory are first timers in Harbaugh's offense, while JJ has been in it for a while. This is not an easy offense to pick up.
I'd bet this makes Gabbert expendable or 3rd string - Johnson is a better fit to the system run with CK.

Shoot, you might even see SF work him through camp and he shows enough in pre-season we trade him for a 5th round pick next year! That would be a crazy parlay of a 6th this year into a 5th next year, lol.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I still don't think Gabbert will be expendable because of Johnson. Harbaugh likes Gabbert and they traded for him, if Gabbert shows even a glimpse of what he was supposed to be, Johnson is gone. Matter of fact I doubt Josh Johnson even makes it at all. I'd like to see what Faulkner can do, hopefully he beast out Johnson for snaps in the Preseason.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I still don't think Gabbert will be expendable because of Johnson. Harbaugh likes Gabbert and they traded for him, if Gabbert shows even a glimpse of what he was supposed to be, Johnson is gone. Matter of fact I doubt Josh Johnson even makes it at all. I'd like to see what Faulkner can do, hopefully he beast out Johnson for snaps in the Preseason.

Maybe they didnt anticipate Johnson being available. No way Gabbert opens the season on his current deal
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by spizzy:

Maybe they didnt anticipate Johnson being available. No way Gabbert opens the season on his current deal

You are correct about Gabbert, I think they will get to his contract soon, maybe after June, not that it has anything to do with June.
Just LOL. I think Harb just likes screw in' with people.
Hey, it's 90-man rosters. Watch Harbaugh bring in a dozen QBs.
I am FINE with this.

Bout time we get a good veteran backup. Well, MB-T looks like he has some ability. Alright, now don't f**k it up again Harbaugh letting the wrong qb go again.

And we shouldn't have to give up a late round pick next year
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Bout time we get a good veteran backup. Well, MB-T looks like he has some ability. Alright, now don't f**k it up again Harbaugh letting the wrong qb go again.

How did Harbaugh F*** it up the first time?? I think Tolzien was the right pick (cheap and more than capable of filling in). Johnson hasn't done squat in this league, I don't know where all the man-love is coming from, at least Gabbert has a 300 yard game under his belt and it was against Green Bay nonetheless. I got faith in Gabbert, if Harbaugh can fix Alex Smith, he can fix Gabbert. After all we all seen what Josh Johnson has to offer, 4 teams and can't seem to really stick.
Originally posted by susweel:
Gabbert must have sucked worse than they thought.

Ummmm...to my knowledge, he has not yet thrown so much as a wad of paper into the trash, much less a pass on the practice field. Do you have a time machine?
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

How did Harbaugh F*** it up the first time?? I think Tolzien was the right pick (cheap and more than capable of filling in). Johnson hasn't done squat in this league, I don't know where all the man-love is coming from, at least Gabbert has a 300 yard game under his belt and it was against Green Bay nonetheless. I got faith in Gabbert, if Harbaugh can fix Alex Smith, he can fix Gabbert. After all we all seen what Josh Johnson has to offer, 4 teams and can't seem to really stick.

300 yards on like 50 attempts against a very meh GB defense.

Not sold on Gabbert whatsoever. But let the best man win for that #2 spot doe.
Share 49ersWebzone