LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

49ers sign Josh Johnson, cut Tupou

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree with this. They missed out on Pryor to put pressure on Gabbert so now they have Johnson & they can get him to reduce that $2 million down to a reasonable amount. If he plays well so be it, if not they can cut his a$$!

why would he re-do his salary if its fully guaranteed ?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Sus if you really want to see a nightmare, go look at any of gabbert's recent tapes. Ouch. Prospect yes. Long term however, and not serviceable in the near future.

I've seen enough bad QB play to last me a lifetime.
Rather have him as #2. Don't even want a #3 on 53, our roster is too stacked and I'd keep someone else other than a #3. Put mcblt on practice squad if anything
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Our backup quarterback carousel is the most bizarre thing about Harbaalke.

We sign him, cut him, sign him, draft someone, cut him, sign another guy, cut him sign the guy we drafted from before, cut him again, sign a veteran for a week, cut him too.

It's really weird.

Seriously. Our backup QB has got to be the most volatile position in the entire league since Harbaugh got here. Guess you gotta plow through a bunch of em til you find the right guy though.

But we're plowing through the SAME guys.

I think the 1st time around Harbaugh felt Johnson was better than a 3rd stringer and cut him so he'd have a chance to back up. He was clearly better than Tolzien in the preseason.
Why? What's the point?
bla
josh johnson

nice
Now i feel much comfortable going into the season with Johnson returning to the Niners, i was having nightmares thinking that Plain Gabbert was going to be Kap's back up, THANK U BASE GOD!!!!
Double post mah bad.
[ Edited by Tru2RedNGold25 on May 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygTV45X1yGI
Hope we can afford all three, but cap room dictates a rookie as #3, and who ever is cheapest at #2

Balkie: "So JJ, what's your cap figure like...hmmmm, Blaine, any input?"

Well, looks like JJ has a leg up, unless Blains takes the minimum!

Just a camp arm.

Will loose out to Bethel-Thompson for the #3 spot on depth chart. Kory Faulkner will go to the practice squad. Once again leaving Josh on the street.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Hope we can afford all three, but cap room dictates a rookie as #3, and who ever is cheapest at #2

Balkie: "So JJ, what's your cap figure like...hmmmm, Blaine, any input?"

Well, looks like JJ has a leg up, unless Blains takes the minimum!

Excellent point. Harbaugh uses Johnson as a bargaining chip to get Gabbart to restructure his contract. Just like last off-season with McCoy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree with this. They missed out on Pryor to put pressure on Gabbert so now they have Johnson & they can get him to reduce that $2 million down to a reasonable amount. If he plays well so be it, if not they can cut his a$$!

I'll just say that I think if JJ can pick up the offense from where he left off in 2012- backup QB-wise we're in good shape. If in addition he can free up some cap space, then even better.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeah, he should. I liked Tolzien over JJ the last time, but he didn't do anything in his 2nd pre-season to show he's progressed. Very severe disappointment for me. I hope this time, he gives Blane Kory and McBLT some challenge. Personally, from what he showed last time, he's already a legit 3rd QB in my mind.

As before I think he has to win the #2 job or he is out.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Just a camp arm.

Will loose out to Bethel-Thompson for the #3 spot on depth chart. Kory Faulkner will go to the practice squad. Once again leaving Josh on the street.

He was a pretty good *camp arm* that last pre-season game in 2012 though. I've never really seen McBLT, Baine or Kory play so I really can't wait to see how they do in pre-season. How they played in other offenses don't matter to me as much to me as how they play in our offense. Look at Seattle and Green bay. Both play the WCO but each system is so different that it would be impossible to compare the two.
Share 49ersWebzone