There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will the 49ers coaching staff finally split carries among our talented RBs?

Will the 49ers coaching staff finally split carries among our talented RBs?

First I want to say that I love this coaching staff and think they have done a tremendous job of bringing the great 49ers back to being a dominate franchise in the NFL. With that said I've always thought we could do a better job of spreading the carries around to our talented backfield. With Gore now 31 years of age, and the additions of two talented RBs that fit the 49er power running system in Marcus Lattimore and Carlos Hyde, as well as a talented "scat" back in Kendall Hunter (now a full year removed from the ACL injury) if we're ever going to start resting Gore for the stretch run and utilizing our talent at RB it's this year.

This is an important move for many reasons IMO. It will keep Gore fresh for a deep playoff run towards the Super Bowl, it infuses our running game with younger, likely faster (and in Hyde's case, potentially even more powerful) backs while allowing the future at the position to get their feet wet. I'm really hoping our offense takes a huge step forward by diversifying the attack more and playing these talented backs along with a more open scheme that will utilize our now deep WR group (but that's for another thread I guess).

The writing is on the wall, it's very likely this is Frank Gore's last season with the 49ers. So I ask, not what do you want to happen, I'm sure most feel the way I do that we need to get these young backs on the field but what do you think the coaching staff will actually do this season? Will we split up the PT/carries or will they continue to run Frank Gore into the ground?
Will frank gore continue to dominate? They rested gore plenty last year. He doesn't get nearly as many touches as he used to. Mostly because we don't throw to him much. Also Hunter comes in plenty and when the game was not on the line the backups all came in. We also tended to pull gore out if he was "ailing" at all.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Will frank gore continue to dominate? They rested gore plenty last year. He doesn't get nearly as many touches as he used to. Mostly because we don't throw to him much. Also Hunter comes in plenty and when the game was not on the line the backups all came in. We also tended to pull gore out if he was "ailing" at all.

Gore rushed the ball 276 times last which was the vast majority of our carries and the 3rd most of his NFL career.
Roman gon' Roman
Depends on Pass Blocking

you pretty much tip off your play if the Rookies can't pas block
Carlos Hyde short yardage. Kendall Hunter change of pace and Gore Workhorse. LMJ traded to Iggles for 2015 5th rounder?
The main reason why carries haven't been split more is because Hunter and James suck in pass protection. They only get into the game on designed runs or gimmick plays. Our base packages are always Gore because if Kaep audibles into a pass, they want a RB in the game that can pick up a blitz.

That said, if Carlos Hyde or Lattimore prove to be competent at picking up the blitz, they will get carries.
Also, I haven't seen this mentioned.... but does anybody else think that the writing is on the wall for Kendall Hunter? Everybody likes to think that James will be the odd man out, but James is a good return man. Hunter has limited special teams value and it is likely that Hyde/Lattimore will be better at RB than Hunter.
Originally posted by blm7754:
The main reason why carries haven't been split more is because Hunter and James suck in pass protection. They only get into the game on designed runs or gimmick plays. Our base packages are always Gore because if Kaep audibles into a pass, they want a RB in the game that can pick up a blitz.

That said, if Carlos Hyde or Lattimore prove to be competent at picking up the blitz, they will get carries.

You would think that since Hyde/Lattimore are more power runners and that's our style they would get carries but I def agree with you it will depend largely on their ability to pass protect. I remember reading that Lattimore understands that and stated he spent significant time studying that aspect of the game, also read that Hyde is good in this category. I pray this is the case, we need these guys to get on the field this year.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Also, I haven't seen this mentioned.... but does anybody else think that the writing is on the wall for Kendall Hunter? Everybody likes to think that James will be the odd man out, but James is a good return man. Hunter has limited special teams value and it is likely that Hyde/Lattimore will be better at RB than Hunter.
I think they'll keep Hunter. Hunter is definitely a better pure runner than James is. The RB unit looks crowded right now, but it's unlikely that all of the backs (especially Gore/Lattimore) go the whole season with an injury.

I don't think I'd consider James a "good" return man. I think he's average. He PR average was good last year, but he also looked very shaky back there (a couple near-muffs, poor instincts, etc).

The tiebreaker is that James is in the doghouse. He's made an ass out of himself multiple times on Twitter. I'd be very surprised if he's on the roster to open the season.
I hope they spread the ball around a little more so Gore and the rest of the cast that has been on the team for a while can get a superbowl championship. A team so deserving, just hoping the chips fall our way this year.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Carlos Hyde short yardage. Kendall Hunter change of pace and Gore Workhorse. LMJ traded to Iggles for 2015 5th rounder?
I agree, but where does Lattimore fit in?

I could see something like Gore/Lattimore sharing the primary duties, Hyde being used as a short-yardage back, and Hunter being an occasional change-of-pace option / primary backup in case of injury.
The best part of having a crowded (capable) RB field is that come 4th Q in games that are tight and physical, we can send in fresh guys to pound the rock and wear the defenders down. I remember watching the Cowboys use Felix Jones as the starter and bring in Marion Barber more in the 2nd half of games where he got all his yards (eventually became the starter).

If Gore is relied on a majority of the season tto carry the ball then its a disappointment with the other, younger RBs. Gore should 100% start every game and be used in crutial situations. But no reason why others cant get in on specific series or what not.
I can't wait to see our new 0 WR 0TE 5RB sets this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
in order for that to happen, you have to hide gores helmet to keep him off the field