There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What camp battle is the most interesting to you?

What camp battle is the most interesting to you?

As many have pointed out, this is one of the most talented rosters we have ever seen. We will inevitably be cutting players who will play somewhere else. I tried to highlight the battles that will go a long way to whittling down our 53.

1. #4 WR - Both players will make the team, but there will be limited snaps after Stevie Johnson.

2. Veteran CB - At most, two of these players will make the team. If Dontae Johnson and Darryl Morris play well, only one might make it.

3. DE - TJE made huge strides last year and became part of the rotation. Dial has a ton of upside. Right now, they are probably the #6 and 7 guys on the DL. Will we keep 7 guys? I think they both make it, but it will be close.

4. Swing OT - Martin has the inside track because of experience, but Marquardt is an athletic freak.

5. Bowman's stand-in - Many people anointed Borland as the starter for Bow. Then we signed Skov and the argument started. Am I the only one who thinks it will be Wilhoite?

6. NB - Ward will have first crack at it, but Wright and COx have the experience. Cook doesn't really fit the mold of NB. Darryl Morris might be a darkhorse.

7. #3 TE - Celek is one-dimensional, Carrier is inexperienced and Cleveland is an unknown. I am rooting for Carrier, since he offers more in the passing game, but Celek has been a steady blocker.

8. ST ACE - We saw the team move back to prioritizing special teams. Osgood, Ventrone and Spillman are the studs of the squad, but the draft brought in several guys with special teams potential: Borland, Johnson, and possibly Ward. I don't see any way that all three of the veterans stay next year.

9. KR/PR - This is the biggest question mark that is not being discussed. I just don't see a way that LMJ stays with the team. Hunter has been used as a KR but not as a PR. Ellington and Cox have experience doing both. Who else do we have for this competition?

10. Any others you can think of?
[ Edited by Karma on May 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM ]
gabbert vs kaepernick
Other. I don't see Kilgore vs. Martin
Running back position, very intriguing.
Originally posted by OldJoe:

Very intriguing. This is the first year where you have a few games who can legitimately challenge Frank Gore as being the top dog. I honestly hope one of the young guys can win the job. Not necessarily be the starter (let Frank go out doing that), but more so earn the right to receive the lion's share of the carries.
Trent vs Jim
Ward vs the field for NB
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

this

This. Maybe the most intriguing.
johnathan martin vs the toughness of football
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Ward vs the field for NB

This is where my vote went as well. I would love to see Ward come in and lock up the starting job at nickel but I don't think Coz and Wright are going to just lie down either. Should make for quite the interesting camp battle.

I think the next most interesting aspect of camp is to see how the WR core shakes out, with the depth we have at the position now, I don't see us using a WR spot for a ST's player like osgood, it's gonna be about production catching the ball.
All of them. I'll watch every preseason game all the way through. n***az gonna be ballin' out this preseason.
I voted Bowman's stand in, but want to change my answer to the Center position (Kilgore vs Martin). Oh well.

Also wanted to mention the #3 OLB spot between Lemon vs Skuta.
Originally posted by English:

This. Maybe the most intriguing.

Yeah, I could have put that on there. I was thinking, for most of them, of battles that would determine roster spots. Martin vs. Kilgore is going to be good, but they will both make the roster, in my opinion.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by OldJoe:

Very intriguing. This is the first year where you have a few games who can legitimately challenge Frank Gore as being the top dog. I honestly hope one of the young guys can win the job. Not necessarily be the starter (let Frank go out doing that), but more so earn the right to receive the lion's share of the carries.

It will definitely be fun to watch Lattimore's comeback, Hyde's transition, and Hunter's change-of-pace ability. I didn't include that on here because I think every guy will get carries if they prove themselves. This is less a battle against each other, and more of an internal battle.