LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Final Outcome of Alex Smith Trade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can we just move the thread, out of sight out of mind..kinda thing ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Can we just move the thread, out of sight out of mind..kinda thing ?

Peeps don't have to come in here.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by cciowa:
it worked out in a win win for both teams and organizations. you can not ask for much more than that.alex should and will get a huge ovation from niner fans when he comes back from lots of smart people who appreciate what he did for us but at the same do not want him to beat us!

i think so too cc

thank you luv.. i am pretty simple and stupid about that whole deal.. besides when i try to figure out how many draft picks our front office eventually ended up on draft day with that trade,, i get a headache,,, in a good way . after what the chiefs had for a qb for years,, they should be pretty happy with what they got plus he is a good person in the community.. as you know from living in the midwest,, thats important to midwest folks
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by luv49rs:
it worked out in a win win for both teams and organizations. you can not ask for much more than that.alex should and will get a huge ovation from niner fans when he comes back from lots of smart people who appreciate what he did for us but at the same do not want him to beat us!

i think so too cc

thank you luv.. i am pretty simple and stupid about that whole deal.. besides when i try to figure out how many draft picks our front office eventually ended up on draft day with that trade,, i get a headache,,, in a good way . after what the chiefs had for a qb for years,, they should be pretty happy with what they got plus he is a good person in the community.. as you know from living in the midwest,, thats important to midwest folks

yep
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I'm hoping we can do another Alex for draft picks trade in the near future if one of our 4 backup QB's pan out in the next year or two.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'm hoping we can do another Alex for draft picks trade in the near future if one of our 4 backup QB's pan out in the next year or two.

i still have no clue what they did but i know it ended up well for us!
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by swayze:
Gabbert was never on a Steve Young-type level, not even coming out of college. I'm not going to pull the "you're comparing Gabbert to Young?" card, but I will say just because there are superficial similarities doesn't mean it is the same. I don't think anyone ever questioned Young's dedication to the game, whereas heading into Gabbert's second season, I recall people asking exactly that

Well, it's hard to compare them, 25 years apart. Gabbert came out a year earlier than Young. Steve went to the AFL out of college and played a year there. Then he was taken by the Bucs in a dispersal draft, so it's hard to know exactly where he would have been drafted if he came directly to the NFL. But Gil Brandt's scouting report on him at the time said "6 foot,1/2 inch tall, 205 pounds, 4.56 40". Gabbert at the Combine was 6-4 1/2, 234, and ran 4.59 40. Two different animals. Still, even though Young was two years older than Gabbert coming to the NFL, his stats in two seasons in Tampa Bay were even worse than Blaine's in Jacksonville.

Also, I haven't heard any complaints about Gabbert's "dedication the the game". Quite the contrary, in Jacksonville he was first guy in, last guy out according to all the reports. Harbaugh just said he is very impressed with Gabbert so far. "Good throws, sharp mentally. Really pleased.".
[ Edited by ethan on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:06 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
what we got in the trade sort of makes up for, 37 years later, us getting the shaft in the oj trade. while that was the worst trade in our history, depending on how these picks turn out,, alex may be the best trade we will have ever made to date. boldin deal was right up there
what we got in the trade sort of makes up for, 37 years later, us getting the shaft in the oj trade. while that was the worst trade in our history, depending on how these picks turn out,, alex may be the best trade we will have ever made to date. boldin deal was right up there
From the redrathman post on Joe Thomas-

Joe Thomas' first season making the 49ers' roster and personnel decisions had been just short of a disaster. His inception had thrown the front office into disarray. Furthermore, he had an unprecedented amount of power over the everyday operation of the team. His first choice as a head coach, Ken Meyer, had been a victim and, ultimately, a casualty of this power. Under Meyer, the players never felt a sense of stability or structure from their head coach, and the team culture went down the drain because of it. Thanks to Thomas' haphazard, impulsive lineup changes, the team never got into a rhythm, nobody felt comfortable in their roles, and it showed in the results - a disappointing 5-9 season.

If Joe Thomas' power trip had crippled the team in 1977, it decimated what was left of the team in 1978

The only consolation of the losing came on November 27th and wasn't even known to fans until after the season. As the season wore on, Thomas' egomania and paranoia grew to unheard of levels. He would send security guards around the stadium to confiscate signs calling for his release. He got into a fight with a beat reporter. He fired McCulley midseason and replaced him with Fred O'Connor. To top it all off, he tried to cancel the November 27th game, which was the same day that San Francisco Mayor George Moscone was assassinated - not out of respect for Moscone, but because he thought it was a conspiracy that would lead to his own assassination!
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171318-why-didnt-joe-thomas-work-san-francisco/#2Pk5GQDfp0lGd23Y.99
Originally posted by kidash98:
Hey numbnut, READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD THEN READ THE CONTENT.

#readingcomprehensionfail

I didn't know what a warning was until I reached 60% level. Was told don't make it personal. All I tried to do is defend our franchise QB. AND I NEVER CAME CLOSE TO USING SUCH ABUSIVE LANGUAGE AS TO REFER TO SOMEONE AS NUMBNUT.

I believe I said "Anyone that thinks Alex is vastly superior to Kap, is crazy" (oh oh ... here comes another warning)

[ Edited by OldJoe on Jun 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM ]

Originally posted by Giedi:

They would need to actually start.

But back on point. Quote above: Can't agree more .....
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Hey numbnut, READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD THEN READ THE CONTENT.

#readingcomprehensionfail

I didn't know what a warning was until I reached 60% level. Was told don't make it personal. All I tried to do is defend our franchise QB. AND I NEVER CAME CLOSE TO USING SUCH ABUSIVE LANGUAGE AS TO REFER TO SOMEONE AS NUMBNUT.

I believe I said "Anyone that thinks Alex is vastly superior to Kap, is crazy" (oh oh ... here comes another warning)

I used to post often several years ago...then mods and their preferential treatment or targeting of posters. Many a good contributors gone forever due to unchecked egos and biases.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
I used to post often several years ago...then mods and their preferential treatment or targeting of posters. Many a good contributors gone forever due to unchecked egos and biases.

Ban the mods!
Share 49ersWebzone