LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Final Outcome of Alex Smith Trade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ethan
  • Veteran
I don't see why Gabbert would sign a longer deal here if it looks like he's just going to be the backup indefinitely. Matter of fact, when Kap signed that deal I'm pretty sure Gabbert accepted that he was only going to be here for a year. Kaepernick didn't get his first start until he was older than Gabbert is now, so I doubt that Blaine is resigned to being a backup for the balance of his career quite yet. A few top starters in the league didn't make their first start until they were older than Blaine is now. Rodgers, Palmer, Romo, Rivers, off the top of my head. Flacco was 24 before he made his first start I think. Eli Manning didn't get his first win until he turned 24, I remember that. Alex Smith was pretty much considered a writeoff at 24, they were ready to release him. Drew Brees was terrible at 24, the Chargers finished dead last and used their draft pick to take Manning/Rivers, that year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
I don't see why Gabbert would sign a longer deal here if it looks like he's just going to be the backup indefinitely. Matter of fact, when Kap signed that deal I'm pretty sure Gabbert accepted that he was only going to be here for a year. Kaepernick didn't get his first start until he was older than Gabbert is now, so I doubt that Blaine is resigned to being a backup for the balance of his career quite yet. A few top starters in the league didn't make their first start until they were older than Blaine is now. Rodgers, Palmer, Romo, Rivers, off the top of my head. Flacco was 24 before he made his first start I think. Eli Manning didn't get his first win until he turned 24, I remember that. Alex Smith was pretty much considered a writeoff at 24, they were ready to release him. Drew Brees was terrible at 24, the Chargers finished dead last and used their draft pick to take Manning/Rivers, that year.
Long term deal would be say a three year deal. That gives him time to get better as a QB just like Alex. Then once his contract is over he can sign with a team that wants him. Or he could be traded that 2nd or third year because he improved so much. Point is that he's a young guy and if he can continue to get better under Harbaugh's coaching - I'm sure he will be willing to stay here for a while.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Long term deal would be say a three year deal. That gives him time to get better as a QB just like Alex. Then once his contract is over he can sign with a team that wants him. Or he could be traded that 2nd or third year because he improved so much. Point is that he's a young guy and if he can continue to get better under Harbaugh's coaching - I'm sure he will be willing to stay here for a while.

Yes. Notwithstanding what Ethan says right now I think he is nearly unmarketable. He is a bust. If he wants to leave and join another team as starter he needs to go to the CFL.

It will take some time before he is viewed as a potential starter in the NFL IMO. I do think there is a chance he can be coached to that point, but it will take time.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Yes. Notwithstanding what Ethan says right now I think he is nearly unmarketable. He is a bust. If he wants to leave and join another team as starter he needs to go to the CFL.

It will take some time before he is viewed as a potential starter in the NFL IMO. I do think there is a chance he can be coached to that point, but it will take time.

Gabbert has more regular season starts than Kaepernick and he's two years younger. He just was in a terrible situation and got hurt a lot. Never got a chance to develop a rythmn or comfort zone. Every year new coachs, new system, new teammates. I think there are only two players left on the Jags who were there when he arrived. Marcedes Lewis and Tyson Alualu, and only because they have huge contracts and are untradable. Blaine won the starting job all three seasons in Jax. This past year while he had a broken thumb and missed most of the pre season.

He isn't a "potential" starter, he's been there under the toughest of conditions. It's reminiscent of Steve Young starting out in Tampa Bay. Terrible team, he had a rough couple of seasons (statistically as bad as Gabbert), and was written off at 25. The Bucs had the top draft pick and knew they were going to use it on Vinny Testaverde so they traded Steve to the 9ers. This year the Jags decided they were going to draft Bortles and try their luck with a different guy.
All I can say is that I feel a lot better with Gabbert backing up than I did with Colt McCoy. At least Gabbert has a comparable arm so that if Kaepernick has to sit out, they don't have to eliminate a third of the pass plays.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Not so far. Smith took a 2-14 team to 11-6. Kaepernick didn't improve the 49ers record. They were 13-3 in a full season of Smith and 12-4 in a full season of Kaepernick. Plus Carradine hasn't done a single thing so far except use up 2 million in cap space.

lol...c'mon dude. Improving on a 2-win season should be a given. Matching a 13-win season is hard to do, not to mention the strength of schedule was much tougher after 2011.

The 2011 strength of schedule was the second easiest in the league.

The last two seasons' strength of schedule have been based on previous years in the playoffs and have been among the five hardest each season. So please. Enough with the comparing records.

Exactly. The 2011 schedule was easy. Our schedule got much tougher after 2011.

I get annoyed when people use the 13-win total from 2011 to slight Kap. The strength of schedules between years were nowhere near comparable. So even though we didn't reach 13 wins in 2012 or 2013, those were better football teams than the 2011 squad.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM ]
Gabbert has more regular season starts than Kaepernick and he's two years younger. He just was in a terrible situation and got hurt a lot. Never got a chance to develop a rythmn or comfort zone. Every year new coachs, new system, new teammates. I think there are only two players left on the Jags who were there when he arrived. Marcedes Lewis and Tyson Alualu, and only because they have huge contracts and are untradable. Blaine won the starting job all three seasons in Jax. This past year while he had a broken thumb and missed most of the pre season.

He isn't a "potential" starter, he's been there under the toughest of conditions. It's reminiscent of Steve Young starting out in Tampa Bay. Terrible team, he had a rough couple of seasons (statistically as bad as Gabbert), and was written off at 25. The Bucs had the top draft pick and knew they were going to use it on Vinny Testaverde so they traded Steve to the 9ers. This year the Jags decided they were going to draft Bortles and try their luck with a different guy.

Gabbert was never on a Steve Young-type level, not even coming out of college. I'm not going to pull the "you're comparing Gabbert to Young?" card, but I will say just because there are superficial similarities doesn't mean it is the same. I don't think anyone ever questioned Young's dedication to the game, whereas heading into Gabbert's second season, I recall people asking exactly that
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Oh, now you did it. You said the name!!!

Originally posted by verb1der:
The final outcome of Alex Smith is that he just wasn't good enough to keep a 2nd year guy from taking his job again. waaahhhhhh

i got no probs with the former qb, but the reality is he gave himself a concussion. use a baseball slide instead of whatever that move was he did and he probably isnt pulled from the rams game.
WTF how'd I get a warning!??!?! First of all, why in the hell is there a thread about a KANSAS CITY qb, doing in NINER talk?!?!?!?!?

HEY EVERYBODY, DONT STATE YOUR OPINION ABOUT ALEX SMITH, IN THIS ALEX SMITH THREAD IN NINER TALK OR YOU WILL GET WARNED!

It's a traaap!
[ Edited by verb1der on Jun 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM ]

Originally posted by crabman82:
The final outcome of Alex Smith is that he just wasn't good enough to keep a 2nd year guy from taking his job again. waaahhhhhh

i got no probs with the former qb, but the reality is he gave himself a concussion. use a baseball slide instead of whatever that move was he did and he probably isnt pulled from the rams game.

you'd figure a veteran would know about sliding. lol
WTF how'd I get a warning!??!?! First of all, why in the hell is there a thread about a KANSAS CITY qb, doing in NINER talk?!?!?!?!?

HEY EVERYBODY, DONT STATE YOUR OPINION ABOUT ALEX SMITH, IN THIS ALEX SMITH THREAD IN NINER TALK OR YOU WILL GET WARNED!

It's a traaap!

Hey numbnut, READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD THEN READ THE CONTENT.

#readingcomprehensionfail

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame

It's a traaap!

this is about the outcome of the alex trade, not about alex. any discussion of alex should take place in the appropriate thread in NFL talk.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
it worked out in a win win for both teams and organizations. you can not ask for much more than that.alex should and will get a huge ovation from niner fans when he comes back from lots of smart people who appreciate what he did for us but at the same do not want him to beat us!
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
it worked out in a win win for both teams and organizations. you can not ask for much more than that.alex should and will get a huge ovation from niner fans when he comes back from lots of smart people who appreciate what he did for us but at the same do not want him to beat us!

i think so too cc
Share 49ersWebzone