LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

Final Outcome of Alex Smith Trade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
That is nice, but we still have a 2nd round pick next year, don't we?

And we did not get Bowman in the supplemental draft, did we?

OK. Maybe, I am just being overly finicky, but......dang

Not at all. I'm just blinded by my stats class and the regression to the mean theories that I had to learn many moons ago. I am beginning to think that Baalke purposefully traded the 2012 draft for the 2013 draft. He may do that again if we win the superbowl and draft last in 2015. That's *one* way of reloading a weakened superbowl team via free agency. All in all, I do hope we draft 32nd. At that point a trade out of the first round is very possible and we get multiple picks later on.
AM

Giedi
Veteran

Now that we don't have a 2nd for next year, it will be interesting how we trade from here on in. I was hoping colt or Daniels would have been developed to be a possible trade bait next year or the year thereafter, but it wasn't to be. It looks like we have to win with what we have, and if we let some good rookies and veterans go, we get 7th rounders like what we got for Haralson and Cam Johnson.

I"ll miss those extra 2nd rounders for Baalke to base his trade magic show on. From here on in, unless we trade a good player for high draft picks, it might just be more trade downs for more draft picks like how it was done after the 2nd round was done this year.

Giedi, you don't think that Gabbert may very well have been brought on board just for that reason?
Looks great on paper. I excite.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Jun 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM ]
Final outcome? They lost, we won
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
We drafted a ton of players these last two drafts because of the Alex for 2 second rounder picks - trade. Next year we don't have that extra second rounder anymore. I was hoping Tolzien or colt would be the next trade to get us more draft picks but both fell through.

Carradine, Hyde, and Borland. I don't know why people put Lemonier into the mix. He has nothing to do with the Smith deal that I can see.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Not so far. Smith took a 2-14 team to 11-6. Kaepernick didn't improve the 49ers record. They were 13-3 in a full season of Smith and 12-4 in a full season of Kaepernick. Plus Carradine hasn't done a single thing so far except use up 2 million in cap space.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
year.

[/i]

Giedi, you don't think that Gabbert may very well have been brought on board just for that reason?

Gabbert's contract is up at the end of this season. They would have to resign him to trade him. No team is going to trade for his rights knowing that he will be an unrestricted free agent.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The trade made was a good trade for the 49ers. We got more than most expected for Alex Smith.

In my estimation, the Chiefs got a better starting quarterback.

The addition of two first round draft picks benefited the 49ers.

The trade served both teams.
Originally posted by ethan:
Not so far. Smith took a 2-14 team to 11-6. Kaepernick didn't improve the 49ers record. They were 13-3 in a full season of Smith and 12-4 in a full season of Kaepernick. Plus Carradine hasn't done a single thing so far except use up 2 million in cap space.

lol...c'mon dude. Improving on a 2-win season should be a given. Matching a 13-win season is hard to do, not to mention the strength of schedule was much tougher after 2011.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
lol...c'mon dude. Improving on a 2-win season should be a given. Matching a 13-win season is hard to do, not to mention the strength of schedule was much tougher after 2011.

I guess, but I don't think the Chiefs are complaining about the deal. I just don't think the 9er fans can really brag about it until there is some concrete return. Not saying there won't, it just hasn't happened yet. I do think the deal was fine when it was made. For both teams.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I guess, but I don't think the Chiefs are complaining about the deal. I just don't think the 9er fans can really brag about it until there is some concrete return. Not saying there won't, it just hasn't happened yet. I do think the deal was fine when it was made. For both teams.

Getting two first round picks warrants a degree of elation. Who would've have thunk.....

A really bad 2-14 team would not have 9 pro bowlers and a star RB and a star WR in that same year
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
A really bad 2-14 team would not have 9 pro bowlers and a star RB and a star WR in that same year

The truth is the Chiefs were always much more talented than 2-14. They won their division with many of the same players in 2010. They just needed to find a solid HC and QB to get them back on track, and they did.
Originally posted by buck:
The trade made was a good trade for the 49ers. We got more than most expected for Alex Smith.

In my estimation, the Chiefs got a better starting quarterback.

The addition of two first round draft picks benefited the 49ers.

The trade served both teams.

Yup. Alex 100% had to be moved, the team had lost confidence in him, we would have taken less in my opinion, KC just happen to bid the most. Knowing what we do now, we should have gotten more. The rest lies on Baalke's drafting skills.

Alex was a goner regardless. That we got two 2nds is a total win. That they were parlayed into multiple picks is even better. By the time their careers are finished, Kaepernick will not even see Smiths career in the rear view mirror. KC played a MUCH easier schedule because of the previous years 2-14. If KC had played in the NFC West they would have been buried.
Share 49ersWebzone