LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Final Outcome of Alex Smith Trade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Slight correction, this is what the 49ers ultimately got in exchange for Alex.

DL Tank Carradine (second round, 2013)

LB Corey Lemonier (third round, 2013)

LB Chris Borland (third round, 2014)

RB Carlos Hyde (second round, 2014)

WR Stevie Johnson (acquired for 2015 fourth-rounder)

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/?eref=sihp

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/final-results-of-alex-smith-trade-a-windfall-for-49ers/

4 quality prospects and a receiver who's gone for over 1,000 yards three times in exchange for a QB that they didn't even want and was considered a most for most of his career.

I'll take it.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 7:44 AM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
As Peter King says in his article: It's Trent Baalke's drafting world, and we're only visiting it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/final-results-of-alex-smith-trade-a-windfall-for-49ers/

4 quality prospects and a receiver who's gone for over 1,000 yards three times in exchange for a QB that they didn't even want and was considered a most for most of his career.

I'll take it.

I rather read it like..

2013 - 2nd Rd Pick
2013 - 3rd Rd Pick
2014 - 2nd Rd Pick
Stevie Johnson

we don't know how those players will turnout (besides Stevie, imo)

now that looks REAL Good on paper.

I've been viewed as one of the top Alex haters forever now.....but a Quality consistent QB is hard to find. Alex is a Quality QB now....with another year to prove that this past season, where he looked like a top QB...wasn't a fluke.

again on paper that looks great...2 second rd picks and a 3rd and Stevie F'n Johnson.

the main thing that makes this a legit sweet deal is that we had Kap, and that was the reason for the trade in the first place.

buuuuuut if we didn't have Kap... I don't know if you would want to trade a Quality QB for anything....unless you have a legit replacement.
How was Lemonier part of the Alex Smith Trade? Really it was Tank Carradine and pick up the Titans 3rd in 2014 #77 Boreland and the KC #56 this year which was traded a couple times and eventually was used on HYDE + Denvers 4th rounder in 2015.

So in my accounts 49ers got for Alex Smith

1. Tank Carradine + Titans 3rd #77 Boreland
2. Carlos HYDE + Denver's 4th Rounder in 2015

That's a Heck of a JOB By Baalke. If these players abover all work out, This will be the HEIST of the Century. To me Alex Smith was just a passenger on a Championship Caliber roster.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I'll take it.

well right now the niners have got 1 sack from the trade (i think that is what lemonier had last season) ...kansas city got a pro bowl qb who led their team to the playoffs and improved their win total by 9m games, ran one of the most productive offenses in the 2nd halfof the season and threw for 378 yards in their playoff game...
IF the niners players taken pan out then it is a trade that is a win win for both sides

and I disagree with you alex smith was not a most for most of his career...
[ Edited by hofer36 on May 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM ]
Really confused now! Partly because I am not really arsed. Good trade though. Value for both teams.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
As Peter King says in his article: It's Trent Baalke's drafting world, and we're only visiting it.

the other good quote in his forum this morning was the part about,, if gore ever slows down,, ha
Originally posted by English:
Really confused now! Partly because I am not really arsed. Good trade though. Value for both teams.

this lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Baalke is a stud.

you must have missed the memo that went out after the first day of the draft that he sucks
yeah it gets confusing with how many times baalke traded those picks. lets just say he got a lot

haha yeah sorry everyone I got a little turned around from the 3rd round wizardry. I swapped Marcus Martin with Chris Borland... still an awesome value pick!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
haha yeah sorry everyone I got a little turned around from the 3rd round wizardry. I swapped Marcus Martin with Chris Borland... still an awesome value pick!
i also liked how we got our fourth rounder that we gave to the bills back for next year. very very forward thinking
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Now that we don't have a 2nd for next year, it will be interesting how we trade from here on in. I was hoping colt or Daniels would have been developed to be a possible trade bait next year or the year thereafter, but it wasn't to be. It looks like we have to win with what we have, and if we let some good rookies and veterans go, we get 7th rounders like what we got for Haralson and Cam Johnson.

I"ll miss those extra 2nd rounders for Baalke to base his trade magic show on. From here on in, unless we trade a good player for high draft picks, it might just be more trade downs for more draft picks like how it was done after the 2nd round was done this year.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
i also liked how we got our fourth rounder that we gave to the bills back for next year. very very forward thinking

Personally I am waiting for the NFL to change the rules either on trading or else on comp picks, to try to slow Baalke down. Bit like when they brought the salary cap etc in.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Personally I am waiting for the NFL to change the rules either on trading or else on comp picks, to try to slow Baalke down. Bit like when they brought the salary cap etc in.

I dunno if they want to do that, it makes for good drama and high TV ratings in my opinion. Eddie D locking up players with his millions didn't create TV ratings for the rest of the NFL the way Baalke's trade do.
Share 49ersWebzone