There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Final Outcome of Alex Smith Trade

Similar to how everyone has tallied up the outcome of the Rams epic trade with the Redskins netting them several key starters for the future, I thought it was worth highlighting the end outcome of the Alex Smith trade now that all the dust has settled.

Not only did I find it noteworthy just out of sheer curiosity, but the more I looked at what Baalke did with the picks the more I feel that he treated these picks differently than others (perhaps he felt he was playing with house money and treated them as his sheer "value picks"). Both the 2013 and 2014 picks were traded for additional picks and with each pick it seemed he took the unanimous BPA (BPA on just about any board you look at).

Maybe it's just coincidence, but considering how many head scratching picks we've made on draft day and considering just how awesome the end outcome was I thought it was worth noting (even worth its own thread). I can honestly say that all 4 acquisitions are on my top 10 moves under the Baalke era. This in theory netted us 4 impact starters/top prospects at their respective positions.

Note this is not an Alex Smith thread....

Final Outcome

2nd Round Pick 2013- Tank Carradine (traded back to acquire 2014 3rd round pick before selecting Tank a screaming BPA)

2nd Round Pick 2014- Carlos Hyde (traded back to acquire 2015 4th round pick before selecting Carlos also a screaming BPA)

3rd Round Pick 2014- Chris Borland (also selected the screaming BPA)

4th round Pick 2015- Stevie Johnson (while not the exact same pick since we acquired the 2015 4th rounder later that day by trading down from the Chiefs 2nd rounder it seems this was our plan all along to ensure we keep all picks for 2015, especially considering how we immediately traded back up)

Well done Baalke!
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on May 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM ]
bust
Oh, now you did it. You said the name!!!

Great breakdown! Baalke killed it with thise two picks! Awesome job by him!
Seriously,
2 of our top 3 WR have both come in on late draft picks.

One was for a 6th round pick, the other was for a 4th round pick.
Baalke is a god among men.
clever way to reopen another Alex thread
By the way it can not be a final outcome if there is still another pick to be made.
I like how Baalke keeps this trade going ever year. I bet next year with 4th round pick he will trade back in the draft and get a 2016 5th round draft.
I just came all the way down my legs.
Originally posted by Ice49er:
By the way it can not be a final outcome if there is still another pick to be made.
I like how Baalke keeps this trade going ever year. I bet next year with 4th round pick he will trade back in the draft and get a 2016 5th round draft.

In a sense it is because we indirectly traded it for Stevie Johnson (we made the trade knowing we were gonna trade down enough to pickup a 4th to replace the one we used to get Stevie Johnson so no net loss). Depending how you look at it either Stevie Johnson is part of it and it's over or he's not and we track what we do with that 4th next year.
How can Tank Carradine be a top 10 move if he hasn't even played yet after over a year? The prevailing thought was that Carradine would be able to work himself onto the field last season, but he never did. And we really could've used his contributions.
It's hard to say if any of those are valuable picks. We don't know. But at least we got something out of it. Which is good. Those are all yet to be proven guys.
Wouldn't it be Chris Borland instead of Marcus Martin since we got 77 last year from Tennessee for trading down from KC's spot to 40 where we selected Tank.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Seriously,
2 of our top 3 WR have both come in on late draft picks.

One was for a 6th round pick, the other was for a 4th round pick.
Baalke is a god among men.

Nfjd
[ Edited by dald1 on May 11, 2014 at 8:15 PM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:
How can Tank Carradine be a top 10 move if he hasn't even played yet after over a year? The prevailing thought was that Carradine would be able to work himself onto the field last season, but he never did. And we really could've used his contributions.

Carradine was one of the bigger "value" selections we've made. Yes he hasn't returned, but every indication is he's 100% ready to go this season and would very likely have been a top 10 pick that draft if he was healthy.
Baalke is a stud.