There are 183 users in the forums

ST Only Vets on their way out?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Just get a badass kicker that can kick the ball out the end zone every time.

Boom problem solved

Until Doug Baldwin returns a punt for a touchdown in the NFC Championship Game.
Originally posted by Zachary:
osgood had such a huge impact for him.. he stays.

Ventrone did the gritty work perfectly. Spillman was another SOLID ace.

Spellman went through a ridiculous stretch there mid season when he was tackling everything on st. He sucks as a S tho.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Spellman went through a ridiculous stretch there mid season when he was tackling everything on st. He sucks as a S tho.

Spillman has also played in the goal line defensive unit. He's not just a ST guy, although that is his most prominent role.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
First I have to say that I LOVE the draft the 49ers just had. Competition everywhere, Baalke anticipated not only immediate needs but future needs, this is by far the deepest roster in the NFL right now.

One of the things I really like is that the team picked up several players who may not start right away, but will contribute, especially on ST's. Which brings me to the point of this thread. Obviously after 2012 the team made an effort to get better on STs with the addition of ST stud vet FAs like Osgood, Ventrone, Dahl, Skuta, Skuta being the only one who proved to have value at a regular position.

In this draft the team selected several players who I think will end up allowing us to release vets who currently cost more money than rookies and only play ST's making our overall roster even deeper, younger and less expensive.

Rookies I see playing a large role on STs are Ward (along w/nickle CB spot), Boreland, Johnson, Lynch, Reaser or Acker (I can't remember which one will be on IR w/ACL injury), Ellington (in the return game), Skov (yes I think he makes the team, at least until Bowman gets back), that's 6 guys who could contribute right away in the coverage game and one in the return game.

Given our upgrade at the WR position with the addition of Stevie Johnson, Ellington and Lloyd (if he makes the team) I now have doubts Osgood makes the team
With Ward and UDFA L.J. McCray, I can't see both Dahl, Ventrone and Spillman making the team, I'd predict that Dahl and Ventrone are gone.

And although he's not a ST guy, adding Jonathan Martin and Marcus Martin puts Adam Snyders job in jeopardy as well. A big reason for Snyder making the team last year was his ability to play OT, Martin's presence means we don't need him for that, having both Martin and Kilgore on the team along with Looney means we don't have a need for him at C or OG either.

The 49ers added 12 drafted players, 7 UDFAs and traded for Stevie Johnson. Out of those 20, 17 are healthy enough to play this year, some will end up on the PS and a few will likely be cut. But looking at how the team made such a large effort to get deeper, younger and cheaper through the draft, I highly doubt they cut a young player, especially one who can contribute on STs in order to keep a veteran around with a higher salary who only adds value on STs.

Thoughts?
You hit the nail on the head. The only one I see with any chance of making the team is ventrone. He's a bad dude.
Nailed it
Nailed it

This
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Nailed it

This

CHUUUCH! You are a prophet!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Nailed it

This

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Nailed it

This

Thank you fellas
WOW, great job matt49ers! This sounds eerily similar to things people have said after the cuts today. To have the vision/insight to say those things months in advance is incredible!

Originally posted by theduke85:
WOW, great job matt49ers! This sounds eerily similar to things people have said after the cuts today. To have the vision/insight to say those things months in advance is incredible!

Thanks man! In all honesty, I was a bit shocked we took so many players right after the Draft was over, then after thinking about it, this was the only conclusion I could come up with that made any sense.
Osgood first got cut, resigned last week and was cut today to make room for Bone. What happened?
Originally posted by MadMark:
Osgood first got cut, resigned last week and was cut today to make room for Bone. What happened?

The NFL granted the 49ers a roster exemption following Boone's holdout. I'm guessing the 49ers could have kept him there for this week if he wasn't ready, but it appear he is. So they activate him from the exempt lost and cut Osgood.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone