There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tell me why (Our draft in relation to Seattles)

Seattle is s**tting bricks right now. Their draft f**kin sucked ass. Mel Kiper graded it as the 5th worst draft. They had some major reaches. Took Paul Richardson with their first pick in the second round. Dude is a stick with small hands. He is injury plagued and one solid hit in the NFC west and he just might get broken in half. A very poor mans Desean Jackson. CBSsports had him as a third round prospect and 15th best receiver available, BEHIND Bruce Ellington, who was the 13th best. We took Ellington a whole two rounds later. LOLz. Then they reach again on a tackle in the second round, who was projected to go in the 5th. Reach on the defensive end Cassius Marsh who was projected by CBSsports to go 6th-7th. They grab another mediocre receiver in the fourth round in Norwood who will be a 25 year old rookie. Their draft was straight ASS.




Meanwhile, the San Francisco 49ers arguably had the best draft in the NFL. We added some very talented players and really addressed the following..

Secondary Took the best cover safety in the draft who should be an upgrade over Carlos Rogers as the nickel back. Added Dontae Johnson in the 4th, who is big, fast, with lots of potential.

Inside Linebacker We might have drafted Zach Thomas 2.0 in Chris Borland, who was ranked as the second best inside linebacker in this draft. Has T-Rex arms, but he hits like a Truck. Will fill in very nicely for Bowman while he recovers. Will also be a special teams demon.


Pass Rush Aaron Lynch may end up as the biggest steal in this draft IF he can get his head out of his ass. Dude has the talent to be a monster. Can play him at OLB or we might try and really beef him up and groom him as a DE. Him and Carradine would give us a ferocious pass rush from our defensive line for a long time.

Offensive weapons Got the best running back in the draft who will be teamed with Lattimore for years to come to give defenses fits.


Then we got a guy who can really take the top off a defense and work the slot in Bruce Ellington. Can also be an explosive return man. Could be our version of Percy Harvin/Randall Cobb. He has potential through the roof.

We added Stevie Johnson for free essentially (as we got a 2015 4th round pick back by trading down). This is a guy that had 3 1000 yard seasons in a row and s**tted on Seattle and Richard Sherman. Had 8 caches for 115 yards and a td against them in 2012. Him, Boldin, Crabtree are an unbelievably good receiving core.

Offensive Line We are set at the line for years with immense talent with the additions of Marcus Martin (who should be an upgrade over Goodwin) and Brandon Thomas (who will likely replace Iupati after this year).


Now if I'm Seattle, after seeing all this talent that we have added to an already loaded ass team in SF, I'm s**tting myself. We were about a foot away on a pass from ending their season last year. We have improved tremendously, while I view them as having remained largely stagnant. Of course the games aren't won on paper, but those f**kers should be worried!



It's too bad St. Louis and Arizona had good drafts though.
but this is all on paper. i know kiper and mayock and whoever are paid to evaluate the draft (including post draft) so they're going to give you their grades on paper. but none of that matters. a draft class is graded 2-3 years down the line.

i hate the seachickens just as much as the next smart person, but the draft is somewhat of a crapshoot and it's too early to say with any certainty that their draft class will be dog s**t and ours will be incredible even though it looks that way on paper
Just to play devil's advocate here...
This was one of the many gradings on both of our teams for the 2011 draft, some pretty hilarious stuff here

San Francisco 49ers: C+

Draft picks: DE Aldon Smith (first round), QB Colin Kaepernick (second round), CB Chris Culliver (third round), RB Kendall Hunter (fourth round), OL Daniel Kilgore (fifth round), WR Ronald Johnson (sixth round), S Colin Jones (sixth round), DL Bruce Miller (seventh round), OL Michael Person (seventh round), DB Curtis Holcomb (seventh round).

Analysis: Smith, according to personnel sources, is a questionable fit for a 3-4 defense. It may take him awhile to make the transition to outside linebacker. Kaepernick may wind up being the best player out of their draft class, but down the road.

Seattle Seahawks: D

Draft picks: OT James Carpenter (first round), G John Moffitt (third round), LB K.J. Wright (fourth round), WR Kris Durham (fourth round), CB Richard Sherman (fifth round), FS Mark LeGree (fifth round), DB Byron Maxwell (sixth round), DL Lazarius Levingston (seventh round), LB Malcolm Smith (seventh round).

Analysis: No team reached for players as badly as the Seahawks. While they selected a few good players early on, Seattle picked them before many personnel evaluators felt they should have gone off the board.
Totally agree. I thought we killed the the draft. Seattle's looks weak in comparison, and it's not just because we had more picks. I thought we did a much better job of matching needs with value.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Just to play devil's advocate here...
This was one of the many gradings on both of our teams for the 2011 draft, some pretty hilarious stuff here

San Francisco 49ers: C+

Draft picks: DE Aldon Smith (first round), QB Colin Kaepernick (second round), CB Chris Culliver (third round), RB Kendall Hunter (fourth round), OL Daniel Kilgore (fifth round), WR Ronald Johnson (sixth round), S Colin Jones (sixth round), DL Bruce Miller (seventh round), OL Michael Person (seventh round), DB Curtis Holcomb (seventh round).

Analysis: Smith, according to personnel sources, is a questionable fit for a 3-4 defense. It may take him awhile to make the transition to outside linebacker. Kaepernick may wind up being the best player out of their draft class, but down the road.

Seattle Seahawks: D

Draft picks: OT James Carpenter (first round), G John Moffitt (third round), LB K.J. Wright (fourth round), WR Kris Durham (fourth round), CB Richard Sherman (fifth round), FS Mark LeGree (fifth round), DB Byron Maxwell (sixth round), DL Lazarius Levingston (seventh round), LB Malcolm Smith (seventh round).

Analysis: No team reached for players as badly as the Seahawks. While they selected a few good players early on, Seattle picked them before many personnel evaluators felt they should have gone off the board.

LOL at them giving us a C+. That ended up being a home run draft. Seattle messed up the first couple picks, but Wright, Sherman, Maxwell, Smith more than make up for it. Just goes to show the draft is not all about the 1st round. You expect that pick to pan out, but the best teams find starters and quality contributors in the mid-rounds.
Finally the thread I have been searching for
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,126
Regarding the seadderall draft picks, PED's can make average draft picks great.
people probably knocked picks like malcom smith and kam chancellor too---seattle's track record especially in the mid rounds should give it some benefit of the doubt espcially when comparing their picks to what tv analysts think
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,126
Originally posted by hofer36:
people probably knocked picks like malcom smith and kam chancellor too---seattle's track record especially in the mid rounds should give it some benefit of the doubt espcially when comparing their picks to what tv analysts think

Historically they have done well. It remains to be seen if the trend continues. Cheats a good coach, he's part of the bill walsh tree. They are going to be a tough team this year with that midget QB that they have. I just don't think cheat is that good a coach to overcome a super bowl hangover. I think they regress to his mean this year, recordwise.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Totally agree. I thought we killed the the draft. Seattle's looks weak in comparison, and it's not just because we had more picks. I thought we did a much better job of matching needs with value.

Yup great matching of needs with value


Originally posted by Giedi:
Regarding the seadderall draft picks, PED's can make average draft picks great.
True dat


As for it being too early to judge, yes of course you can say that immediately after the draft. But just looking at it with our current understanding of the players and where they were projected to go, Seattles draft was s**t and the 49ers draft was brilliant.

I'll exaggerate to make a point... If the Seahawks had drafted a bunch of players that were projected to go in the 7th round, while the 49ers drafted a bunch of guys projected to go in the 1st round, it would be very easy to say the 49ers had a much better draft. It would be miraculous if three years from now, somehow all those 7th round projected players from the Seahawks turned out to be better than the 1st round projected players that the 49ers drafted. From what we can see right now 49ers draft s**tted on the Seahawks, and in all likelihood will be better 3 years from now, especially when you factor in how many selections we had.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Regarding the seadderall draft picks, PED's can make average draft picks great.

Seattle's game plan - cut defensive linemen below the knees, feed Lynch, quick slant, feed Lynch, QB scrambles to the right throws up rainbow after 7 seconds, feed Lynch, mug the receivers all over the field every play so that the refs think it's okay. One major part of their D is gone, Red Bryant, the guy was immovable. Watch the 49er run game move the sticks with him gone.
I hate how all the analyst were on the carroll's balls...they said how it looked bad that they drafted that Olineman in the 2nd when he had a 5th round grade and said well they must be right and know something we dont because they are the seahawks.

ill admit I liked paul Richardson at one point and thought he looked like he could be an elite talent but after digging further I realized how he is a AJ Jenkins 2.0 with injury concerns. he has little or no bulk and will probably end up being unable to get off the line in press coverage.

The last lineman they drastically reached for was james carpenter and we all know how much he has contributed to the team as a 1st round pick.

But I have to argue that the norwood pick was a good pick. They may have reached a bit but I think he was seriously underrated. he is clutch and has sure hands...I just hope he doesn't continue his impact on a team into the pros
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I hate how all the analyst were on the carroll's balls...they said how it looked bad that they drafted that Olineman in the 2nd when he had a 5th round grade and said well they must be right and know something we dont because they are the seahawks.

ill admit I liked paul Richardson at one point and thought he looked like he could be an elite talent but after digging further I realized how he is a AJ Jenkins 2.0 with injury concerns. he has little or no bulk and will probably end up being unable to get off the line in press coverage.

The last lineman they drastically reached for was james carpenter and we all know how much he has contributed to the team as a 1st round pick.

But I have to argue that the norwood pick was a good pick. They may have reached a bit but I think he was seriously underrated. he is clutch and has sure hands...I just hope he doesn't continue his impact on a team into the pros

I said it back in 2011, Carpenter was a huge reach. He had his option declined, that's how bad he is. They drafted Britt to replace him I believe.

But they reached on Paul Richardson. But who knows, I think there draft was average. STL, ARI, and SF all had A drafts IMO. But Seattle will get the love cause of guys like Sherman, or Malcolm Smith. Plus everyone loves Pete Carroll.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I hate how all the analyst were on the carroll's balls...they said how it looked bad that they drafted that Olineman in the 2nd when he had a 5th round grade and said well they must be right and know something we dont because they are the seahawks.

ill admit I liked paul Richardson at one point and thought he looked like he could be an elite talent but after digging further I realized how he is a AJ Jenkins 2.0 with injury concerns. he has little or no bulk and will probably end up being unable to get off the line in press coverage.

The last lineman they drastically reached for was james carpenter and we all know how much he has contributed to the team as a 1st round pick.

But I have to argue that the norwood pick was a good pick. They may have reached a bit but I think he was seriously underrated. he is clutch and has sure hands...I just hope he doesn't continue his impact on a team into the pros

I said it back in 2011, Carpenter was a huge reach. He had his option declined, that's how bad he is. They drafted Britt to replace him I believe.

But they reached on Paul Richardson. But who knows, I think there draft was average. STL, ARI, and SF all had A drafts IMO. But Seattle will get the love cause of guys like Sherman, or Malcolm Smith. Plus everyone loves Pete Carroll.


Well said about Sherm, Smith, Maxwell, Chancellor, etc. Then you have UDFA in Browner too.

They will get a pass for years to come, but that's ok.

One thing that still annoys the hell out of me is how the SEA fans think the absolute world of Percy harvin, and how he is better than any receiver on the 49ers. I really hope he stays healthy this year so we can shut him down worse than any of our guys versus Seattle.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Seattle's game plan - cut defensive linemen below the knees, feed Lynch, quick slant, feed Lynch, QB scrambles to the right throws up rainbow after 7 seconds, feed Lynch, mug the receivers all over the field every play so that the refs think it's okay.


Damn -- when you state their strategy like that it seems so obvious -- but you are right on with this brother!