LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Pre-Camp 53 Roster Prediction

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Something about lynch. I defintely appreciate what skuta has done for us but i dont know. If this kid is focused and buys in.. I think this lynch kid is a wild card but the more i see his highlights the more i see the "it" factor. He plays very angry. Couldnt put him in a better situation than with us.... I think this kid shines... Rooting for him.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 18, 2014 at 7:25 PM ]
So Ian Williams on the PUP means the DL final 53 could look something like this.

NT: G. Dorsey - Q. Dial

DE: J. Smith - Tank Carradine

DE: R. McDonald - T. Jerod-Eddie - D. Dobbs

As much as I would like to see Okoye beat out Dobbs I can't put it down here. He was not a good FB player last year. The improvement would of had to be monumental from last year to make the 53. This year I think he will at least make the PS.
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Jul 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM ]
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Interesting 53 prediction by Bill W: http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/7847/49ers-projected-roster

It seems okay to me. Skuta not making the roster is the biggest "huh?" to me. I don't see Lynch beating out Skuta's versatility. Then again, none of us know what to expect from Lynch.

98% chance of Skuta making the roster.
80% change he isn't
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
So Ian Williams on the PUP means the DL final 53 could look something like this.

As much as I would like to see Okoye beat out Dobbs I can't put it down here. He was not a good FB player last year. The improvement would of had to monumental from last year to make the 53. This year I think he will at least make the PS.

Meh, with Ian on the injury list I think Okoye can beat out dobbs. Dobbs is a good player, don't get me wrong, but Okoye is a special athlete. To beat dobbs, Okoye has to make plays though. The spot won't just be given to him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Something about lynch. I defintely appreciate what skuta has done for us but i dont know. If this kid is focused and buys in.. I think this lynch kid is a wild card but the more i see his highlights the more i see the "it" factor. He plays very angry. Couldnt put him in a better situation than with us.... I think this kid shines... Rooting for him.

Agree but he could also be a Cam Johnson. Cam was mediocre against 1st and 2nd string players but he dominated 3rd and beyond. I'm pulling for lynch though. The more pass rushers we have, the stronger our Nickel and dime defenses will be.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I can envision NO scenario in which J. Johnson makes it over B. Gabbert.

Most likely this is the case. I'm keeping my original pick there until I see more from TC but in the end, I will also most likely edit Blaine in/Johnson out.

If Johnson outplays Gabbert then the coaches will keep the best player. Guaranteed contracts do not mean automatic roster spots. Johnson will be much less expensive in the long run and may be suited for Harbaugh's offense...though I'm reading Roman as saying there will be more passing...which may give Gabbert an edge. At this point of the pre-pre-season it's all up in the air.
Ok, book this right now: There's absolutely NO way - zilch, none, nata, zero, not a chance in hell - that J. Johnson is beat out Gabbert. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for us to keep 3 QB's with him the #3. In fact, I had us keeping Josh in my first mock. But I've since changed my mind. Its hard for me to say Josh is amongthe best 53 FOR THIS ROSTER - the best 55, 56, 57 perhaps - but not our 53. IMHO
Originally posted by Giedi:

As much as I would like to see Okoye beat out Dobbs I can't put it down here. He was not a good FB player last year. The improvement would of had to monumental from last year to make the 53. This year I think he will at least make the PS.

Meh, with Ian on the injury list I think Okoye can beat out dobbs. Dobbs is a good player, don't get me wrong, but Okoye is a special athlete. To beat dobbs, Okoye has to make plays though. The spot won't just be given to him.

Now there's a brave prediction right there, maybe the best so far. I'm a big fan of Okoye and really hope this kid makes this team. I'm to see his raw athleticism translate to the NFL. But Okoye beating out Dobbs for a roster spot, a guy by comparison with miles of NFL experience, would probably be THE biggest surprise roster story the league, at least myself, has seen in years.

I'd love to see Okoye make the team. I don't see it, but I'm hoping.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Ok, book this right now: There's absolutely NO way - zilch, none, nata, zero, not a chance in hell - that J. Johnson is beat out Gabbert. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for us to keep 3 QB's with him the #3. In fact, I had us keeping Josh in my first mock. But I've since changed my mind. Its hard for me to say Josh is amongthe best 53 FOR THIS ROSTER - the best 55, 56, 57 perhaps - but not our 53. IMHO

1. Gabbert is injured.
2. Gabbert does not pick up the offense and struggles.
3. Gabbert wants to go somewhere to start, not sit behind a young, super talented QB.
4. Aliens abduct Gabbert and take him to Tralfamadore.

Never say never!
Here you go...video link: http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/NFL-Rule-Changes-for-2014/334fe4d0-51ca-4f4c-9046-7fd3d3ba9cbf

From several reports, the holding by the DB's is still being reviewed (given that the rule is already written and just needs to be upheld). No change in the rule is needed.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Five-NFL-Rule-Changes-and-How-They-Affect-49ers/024ab3e5-7ce2-4721-9f17-0a3897beffe1 or
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/3/23/5540474/nfl-rules-proposal-cut-block-ian-williams-injury

Thanks, man.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Excellent. Fun to compare and contrast and discuss. Well done!

NT (2)
Glenn Dorsey
Ian Williams - same here but let's hope Ian is finally getting healthy. It's been almost a full year plus 4 surgeries. Yikes. Perhaps this is why Baalke was looking at that 362 pound NT in the supplemental draft.
Four surgeries for Ian Williams! I hadn't heard that. Wow, that must have been a bad break....and on a very dirty play. Man, that is infuriating. The NFL needs to do something about crap like that. To have a marginal player (JR Sweezy...or should I say "Sleazy") put out an opposing team's starting player for the entire season on a dirty play, that is just not right. In fact, it is pure B.S.

IMHO, the team that commits a dirty foul like that should also lose a starting player for the entire year...and the player who commits the dirty foul should be suspended for the length of time it takes for the opposing player to heal plus pay a healthy fine. If the said player commits another dirty foul again, he is out of the league.

I like it, though Seattle wouldn't be able to field a team, They'd have to forfeit every week.
You....are correct, sir...and that is one of the reasons I am proposing such a rule.

Originally posted by LVJay:
Not only forfeit every week, but they would also be out of the NFL within a year or two... players (repeat offenders all day) out of the league--no more NFL team--no more Cawk suckers

Yes!!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Thanks, man.

You bet!

From several reports, the holding by the DB's is still being reviewed (given that the rule is already written and just needs to be upheld). No change in the rule is needed.

Not sure how tight they will be as the attempt to limit concussions will take priority. Sure hope they can keep the mauling down as WRs have been manhandled the past couple years. This has put a premium on big CBs and de-emphasized quickness. Patton found that out last year when he was thrown to the ground just past the line of scrimmage. My only problem with tightening is that offensive numbers may skyrocket from here on out.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Not sure how tight they will be as the attempt to limit concussions will take priority. Sure hope they can keep the mauling down as WRs have been manhandled the past couple years. This has put a premium on big CBs and de-emphasized quickness. Patton found that out last year when he was thrown to the ground just past the line of scrimmage. My only problem with tightening is that offensive numbers may skyrocket from here on out.

Only two teams really rely on it. What I love is that we have pure press guys like Cook and Johnson now. Also Culliver and Brock can play very physical at the LOS as well. I think this is by design. We can test the refs early now and see if we can push the rules some. If not, no big deal b/c our starters are great at off-coverage as well.
The best method, as you hinted, is the Al Davis method...if they allow your opponent to do something then you do it until the refs have to take notice. Saw him interviewed once when he said this was the most sure way to change rules. If the niners begin tackling the Seattle WRs at the LOS, as soon as the ball is snapped, maybe the refs will start calling both teams fairly. Sherman may be out of the league in a few years...though I think he can play up and up with most receivers.
Share 49ersWebzone