LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Pre-Camp 53 Roster Prediction

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Lattimore is a lock. We might find a way to stuff him on the PUP.

I only have him on the bubble for health concerns. If he makes it through camp healthy he'll be on the roster.
Well, what's out there so far gives us no reason to think anything other positive about his health. We just might dress 4 RB on game days, 3 for sure. And Lattimore will be among them. In any event, there's no way Lattimore can be seen as a bubble guy. If he shows in camp and pre-season any hint of what he did in college he'll be treated as a 2014 2nd round draftee. And who did we draft in the 2nd round this year? One Carlos Hyde, who'll be in direct competition with Lattimore, not for a roster spot, but for playing time. IMHO, Lattimore is gonna be fine health wise. Like I said, I find nothing coming out from the 49ers that would even suggest that Lattimore's knees aren't gonna be ready to go full blast for real camp. Therefore, I see him like any other healthy player on our roster looking to get playing time.

I get it. If his knee holds up he's a lock and he's made it through off season work outs.

In this case the bubble status is all about long term health and has nothing to do with value. I'm usually optimistic about injury issues, but I'm a little worried about Lattimore withstanding the wear and tear of training camp and his first extended full contact work in quite a while. Hopefully I'm worried about nothing.

Until Lattimore shows he has the same power, agility and endurance as before the surgery I think you are correct to put him on the bubble, or pup-bubble. We are so accustom to the miracles done by modern medicine, full recovery has become a given. But in reality it is still an iffy proposition that he return the same player.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Until Lattimore shows he has the same power, agility and endurance as before the surgery I think you are correct to put him on the bubble, or pup-bubble. We are so accustom to the miracles done by modern medicine, full recovery has become a given. But in reality it is still an iffy proposition that he return the same player.

Yeah, that's why he dropped in the draft. Modern medicine can make miracles, for sure. Keep in mind Gore had his operations almost a decade ago, and I'm betting the rehab science being done at Stanford medical is light years from where it was during Gore's time. It also helps that the poster boy for rehab miracles is his mentor and team mate. I'm pretty sure the Stanford doctors are learning as much from gore as from their basic research and using him as a experimental science experiment - in a sense.

I only have him on the bubble for health concerns. If he makes it through camp healthy he'll be on the roster.
Well, what's out there so far gives us no reason to think anything other positive about his health. We just might dress 4 RB on game days, 3 for sure. And Lattimore will be among them. In any event, there's no way Lattimore can be seen as a bubble guy. If he shows in camp and pre-season any hint of what he did in college he'll be treated as a 2014 2nd round draftee. And who did we draft in the 2nd round this year? One Carlos Hyde, who'll be in direct competition with Lattimore, not for a roster spot, but for playing time. IMHO, Lattimore is gonna be fine health wise. Like I said, I find nothing coming out from the 49ers that would even suggest that Lattimore's knees aren't gonna be ready to go full blast for real camp. Therefore, I see him like any other healthy player on our roster looking to get playing time.

I get it. If his knee holds up he's a lock and he's made it through off season work outs.

In this case the bubble status is all about long term health and has nothing to do with value. I'm usually optimistic about injury issues, but I'm a little worried about Lattimore withstanding the wear and tear of training camp and his first extended full contact work in quite a while. Hopefully I'm worried about nothing.
Personally I dont think the coaching staff will have him take much contact in TC.

Personally I dont think the coaching staff will have him take much contact in TC.
Doubtful. . . . . If he's cleared to practice JH & Co. won't babysit him. They are gonna allow him fully compete.

Doubtful. . . . . If he's cleared to practice JH & Co. won't babysit him. They are gonna allow him fully compete.
His injury was not only physical but psychological. Mentally he needs to be ready to take a hit again. I dont think they will throw him in the fire right away if he is not there mentally yet.

His injury was not only physical but psychological. Mentally he needs to be ready to take a hit again. I dont think they will throw him in the fire right away if he is not there mentally yet.
Sooooooo sitting him out helps him psychologically? IMHO, that won't help him either.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
With 2 days left til the first players report to TC, here is my final 53 - man roster prediction.

QB (2)
Colin Kaepernick
Blaine Gabbert

RB (4)
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
Carlos Hyde
Marcus Lattimore

FB (1)
Bruce Miller

WR (6)
Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
Stevie Johnson
Quinton Patton
Bruce Ellington
Kassim Osgood

TE (3)
Vernon Davis
Vance McDonald
Derek Carrier

OT (3)
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Carter Bykowski

OG (3)
Mike Iupati
Alex Boone
Joe Looney

C (2)
Marcus Martin
Daniel Kilgore

NT (2)
Glenn Dorsey
Ian Williams

DE (5)
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Tank Carradine
Tony Jerod-Eddie
Quinton Dial

OLB (5)
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Corey Lemonier
Dan Skuta
Aaron Lynch

ILB (4)
Patrick Willis
Michael Wilhoite
Chris Borland
Nick Moody

CB (6)
Tramaine Brock
Chris Culliver
Jimmie Ward
Perrish Cox
Dontae Johnson
Darryl Morris

S (4)
Eric Reid
Antoine Bethea
C.J. Spillman
Bubba Ventrone

K/P/LS (3)
Phil Dawson
Andy Lee
Kevin McDermott

KR Bruce Ellington
PR Perrish Cox

PUP
Navorro Bowman ILB

NFI
Trey Millard FB
Brandon Thomas OT/OG
Keith Reaser CB

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
With 2 days left til the first players report to TC, here is my final 53 - man roster prediction.

QB (2)
Colin Kaepernick
Blaine Gabbert

RB (4)
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
Carlos Hyde
Marcus Lattimore

FB (1)
Bruce Miller

WR (6)
Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
Stevie Johnson
Quinton Patton
Bruce Ellington
Kassim Osgood

TE (3)
Vernon Davis
Vance McDonald
Derek Carrier

OT (3)
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Carter Bykowski

OG (3)
Mike Iupati
Alex Boone
Joe Looney

C (2)
Marcus Martin
Daniel Kilgore

NT (2)
Glenn Dorsey
Ian Williams

DE (5)
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Tank Carradine
Tony Jerod-Eddie
Quinton Dial

OLB (5)
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Corey Lemonier
Dan Skuta
Aaron Lynch

ILB (4)
Patrick Willis
Michael Wilhoite
Chris Borland
Nick Moody

CB (6)
Tramaine Brock
Chris Culliver
Jimmie Ward
Perrish Cox
Dontae Johnson
Darryl Morris

S (4)
Eric Reid
Antoine Bethea
C.J. Spillman
Bubba Ventrone

K/P/LS (3)
Phil Dawson
Andy Lee
Kevin McDermott

KR Bruce Ellington
PR Perrish Cox

PUP
Navorro Bowman ILB

NFI
Trey Millard FB
Brandon Thomas OT/OG
Keith Reaser CB

Excellent. Fun to compare and contrast and discuss. Well done!

QB (2)
Colin Kaepernick
Blaine Gabbert - think this is the general concensus right now. I still have a feeling once the games are played, Johnson will beat him out but at least we have some real competition here this year.

RB (4)
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
Carlos Hyde
Marcus Lattimore - same here.

FB (1)
Bruce Miller - no question.

WR (6)
Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
Stevie Johnson
Quinton Patton
Bruce Ellington
Kassim Osgood - this is who I have as well.

TE (3)
Vernon Davis
Vance McDonald
Derek Carrier - love it! Carrier adds SO much more to the passing game over Celek and can learn to block like a pure FB should Miller ever go down again.

OT (3)
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Carter Bykowski - Bykowski over Jonathan Martin. It could certainly happen. I'm very curious to see how far Carter has developed over the last year in our system. This could be an underrated battle for sure.

OG (3)
Mike Iupati
Alex Boone
Joe Looney - this is what I have as well.

C (2)
Marcus Martin
Daniel Kilgore - I'll put Kilgore as the starter BUT it would not surprise me one bit if Martin wins out. He seems special and Kilgore can continue to be our 6th and 7th OL and even double as a FB as needed (ala Tukuafu last year).

NT (2)
Glenn Dorsey
Ian Williams - same here but let's hope Ian is finally getting healthy. It's been almost a full year plus 4 surgeries. Yikes. Perhaps this is why Baalke was looking at that 362 pound NT in the supplemental draft.

DE (5)
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Tank Carradine
Tony Jerod-Eddie
Quinton Dial - this is likely but I have us going a bit skinny here to accomodate other areas we need that extra man. IF Wiliams is healthy and Dial continues to grow and can also play both DE and NT, it could push someone like TJE off the field (b/c he's above average against the run and weak in the pass rush department and with Tank, he adds that valuable piece in substitution). But I agree, it's going to be tough cutting TJE.

OLB (5)
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Corey Lemonier
Dan Skuta
Aaron Lynch - pretty much what I have as well.

ILB (4)
Patrick Willis
Michael Wilhoite
Chris Borland
Nick Moody - this one is a tough one for me. Do we keep Moody or Costanzo? Tough call!

CB (6)
Tramaine Brock
Chris Culliver
Jimmie Ward
Perrish Cox
Dontae Johnson
Darryl Morris - B/c of the time we will spend in the nickle (60% of the time) and with an emphasis on more press, I have us keeping 7 here allowing Chris Cook to stay as well but it could certainly go this way too.

S (4)
Eric Reid
Antoine Bethea
C.J. Spillman
Bubba Ventrone - this is who I have as well with L.J. McCray being the dark horse here (better upside as a S and still add value on ST coverage units/returner)

K/P/LS (3)
Phil Dawson
Andy Lee
Kevin McDermott - this is a given barring injury.

KR Bruce Ellington - & Perrish Cox (2 here)
PR Perrish Cox - interesting! And how cool would this be? Pushed James off the team and can play nickle/dime and becomes a pretty dynamic and consistent returner. This is one battle I can't wait to watch.
Thanks to both of you for your lists! I only question going skinny at DL as there were so many injuries last year and you have Carradine coming off major injury...and you have J Smith (34) and McDonald (29) getting older.

I have questions about keeping Moody or Costanzo as well. Injuries usually help answer some of these questions, unfortunately.

Also, am a bit disappointed with the line as there is less flexibility than I had hoped they would build. Boone is the only guy I'm comfortable with playing both G & T in a pinch. Not that I want Snyder back, LOL!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM ]

Thanks to both of you for your lists! I only question going skinny at DL as there were so many injuries last year and you have Carradine coming off major injury...and you have J Smith (34) and McDonald (29) getting older.

I have questions about keeping Moody or Costanzo as well. Injuries usually help answer some of these questions, unfortunately.

Also, am a bit disappointed with the line as there is less flexibility than I had hoped they would build. Boone is the only guy I'm comfortable with playing both G & T in a pinch. Not that I want Snyder back, LOL!

For sure. I wouldn't even be surprised if we saw a dark horse there as well (cough, Okoye, cough). I believe I picked 6 DL b/c we only had 4 or 5 active on game day during the NFCCG? Can't remember...
Originally posted by NCommand:

For sure. I wouldn't even be surprised if we saw a dark horse there as well (cough, Okoye, cough). I believe I picked 6 DL b/c we only had 4 or 5 active on game day during the NFCCG? Can't remember...

Another Okoye fan? He has to prove himself to me but he is a monster physically...just hard to make the transition from another sport. You are probably correct in your numbers. They have to take a chance somewhere and no one knows where the injuries will happen!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Another Okoye fan? He has to prove himself to me but he is a monster physically...just hard to make the transition from another sport. You are probably correct in your numbers. They have to take a chance somewhere and no one knows where the injuries will happen!

I agree that Okoye has to prove something, but when has Dial proven anything? I see it as an either / or with Dial and Okoye.

Since we run nickel / dime a majority of the time, it makes more sense to keep more DBs than DL. But Okoye may prove to be too helpful on ST, and work his way onto the team as a ST ace.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I agree that Okoye has to prove something, but when has Dial proven anything? I see it as an either / or with Dial and Okoye.

Since we run nickel / dime a majority of the time, it makes more sense to keep more DBs than DL. But Okoye may prove to be too helpful on ST, and work his way onto the team as a ST ace.

Dial has proven enough in practice to impress the coaches. Okoye is a work in progress, a transition phase of his career. Kind of like taking a college QB and trying to turn them into a WR...but in a different sport. I've played both Rugby and football...easier for a football player to learn rugby than the reverse.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Dial has proven enough in practice to impress the coaches. Okoye is a work in progress, a transition phase of his career. Kind of like taking a college QB and trying to turn them into a WR...but in a different sport. I've played both Rugby and football...easier for a football player to learn rugby than the reverse.

That's news to me. I've seen some media outlets expecting a jump from him, but I haven't seen anything from him to suggest anything more than depth at DE, for which we have TJE and Tank. Okoye, while obviously still green, represents the possibility of dominating at the position.
Share 49ersWebzone